Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Old 01-11-15, 02:19 PM
Faither70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Bickerton portable, I bought at auction recently. The sturmey archer 3 speed hub is stamped AW 10 77. I have fitted new tyres and tubes and given the bike a general good service and tidy up. The box aluminium frame has polished up well and the mudguards still have the blue protective film. . I got the owners manual with the bicycle, but no carry bag and any I've seen for sale have been as dear as the bike. However I ,m looking forward now to the better weather appearing so I can get out and give it a decent trial.
Old 01-15-15, 09:07 AM
anquitel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here is my TERN D7i
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TERND7i.jpg (102.3 KB, 488 views)
Old 02-05-15, 07:40 PM
fastrdisastr

Bikes: scwhinn moab, schwinn 4banger/Mert Lawill special, dahon jetstream, dahon speed uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw a Dahon Speed Uno on eBay a few weeks ago that was new but in a damaged box, a little scuffed, so I scooped it up for just over 200. Put it together, added a front brake and bull bars and I'm having a blast with it. Really fun bike.
Attached Images
my_speed_uno.jpg (102.6 KB, 434 views)
Old 02-08-15, 07:25 AM
pavel666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI!! I have many bikes to choose from. Every day I go to another : P I have folding bike hummer,chevrolet and jeep!
And more bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcXb5x6vcI
Attached Images
Old 04-29-15, 06:43 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fiori 8 made by Norco. Upgraded from 8 derailleur gears to a Shimano Nexus 8. Only further upgrade I would like to do is a shorter handlepost.
Attached Images
handlebar-post.jpg (93.7 KB, 404 views)
Old 05-07-15, 12:30 AM
iamclaus

Bikes: Breezer Zag8

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Hello.. new arrival here..

I have a pair of folders made by Breezer, based on the Dahon D7 frame style. One is a Zag8 with an 8spd SRAM SX4 drivetrain, the other is a Zig7 with a 7spd SR Suntour (NEOS?) drivetrain. Both are aluminum frames and have fenders, and the single-height handlebar stems. The Zig7 seems like it has cheaper equipment on it, or just less refined than the Zag8.

I bought the pair while on vacation last year. Instead of renting a pair of bikes for a few days, I came up with the idea of "what if I bought a folding bike?". This being a selfish question since I'd make my friend fend for himself bike-wise. Three days of scouring the classifieds and I happened up this pair of bikes, sold as a pair only. The price was stupidly cheap compared to what even just a single new low-end Dahon cost. As it turned out, I responded to the ad not 10 minutes after it had been posted, and picked up the bikes 20 minutes later. Ended up spending most of the rest of my vacation on a bike seat... an unexpected, but enjoyable change of plans.

Sadly the Zag8 suffers from a very loose hinge that shows significant play even when the clamp is adjusted to be extremely tight. Otherwise it's minty fresh. I'm hoping to fix the hinge by boring the hinge holes slightly larger to make them round again and use a new hinge pin... we'll see how that goes. I do prefer the Zag8 over the Zig7.

The Zig7 has several issues... the seat post slides down very slowly (plastic tube liner?), the handlebar clamp on the stem is tight, but they can still turn. The brakes squeal on the rim. The front rim is slightly out of true. The derailleur needs constant attention, or the chain click-click-clicks. And it doesn't have a rack like the Zag8 does.

Assuming I can get the Zag8's hinge fixed up, it'll be my go-to bike. If not, I might swap over most of the components onto the Zig7 frame and make a frankenbike out of the two.

I'm making vacation plans for late summer and am hoping to try a 5/6-day tour riding a folding bike of the south end of Vancouver Island, no camping, just B&Bs and AirBNB overnights. Before that I'd be upgrading the components on one of the bikes. I'll toss in a 3spd internal rear to complement the cluster and make the bike rideable on hills and flats. I'll dump the grip shifters in favour of rapid-fire levers, put a larger rack on the back to accommodate 'normal' pannier bags. Perhaps put a small rack up front or rig something to carry small stuff sacks on the forks? Rig a mount for my trail GPS, and get some better lights.

Old 05-07-15, 12:38 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re sliding posts and poor holding clamps. Ensure clean and dry and considering sanding the area to get better friction on the seat post. Another possibility is to use longer Quick release arms that allow for greater closing pressure to be applied. I got some from an onza mini. Anyone know where to purchase anything like this?

Adding a 3 speed. You can't just add an 3 speed internal hub to a cluster, do you mean you are going for a dual drive hub. I hearly recomemd dual drive mods but bear in mind you need to be able to acomadate the click box and the rear drailer. See my threads on adding dual drive to a mezzo. It should be a lot easier on this type of folder.
Old 05-07-15, 07:37 PM
Mnrecurve

Bikes: Framed 2.0, windsor tourist, bachetta recumbent

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just decided to enter the world of folding bikes. I like to tinker, so I purchased a Vilano Tempest. A few of my mods were to add a new set of adjustable bearrings for the BB, Biologic seat(very comfortable for $25), new Big Apple tires, bags, and full size grips. It's been a fun bike for little $. I love it!
Attached Images
image.jpg (98.2 KB, 410 views)
Old 05-14-15, 07:53 PM
iamclaus

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Adding a 3 speed. You can't just add an 3 speed internal hub to a cluster, do you mean you are going for a dual drive hub.
SRAM makes a 3-speed internal hub that will accommodate my 8-speed cluster and the click box won't interfere with my derailleur, either. I just ordered it at my local bike shop today.
Old 05-27-15, 12:51 PM
joshhhab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Langtu KY8.2 prepared for touring with front and back dahon racks installed

More pictures here https://flic.kr/s/aHsjPa4t2c

Old 05-31-15, 01:54 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had this since December. Finished building it in january. I bought some birdie wheels with no plan of what to do with them. Then found a birdie cheap on ebay without wheels and several components. Only item I had to buy some brake levers as everything else was in my spares. With the exception of the paffic chain tensioner I have since added.

Took me agers to thread the internal cabling. Nexus 8 speed added better seat and ergon grips and I sometimes use this with a thudbuster seatpost in a koga telescopic outer seat post.
Attached Images
20150107_205204.jpg (94.3 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-31-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 10:52 PM
cheran75

Bikes: Diamond Back, Downtube FS9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Downtube FS 9

My Downtube FS 9, upgraded with adjustable stem and Continental Contacts, pretty nice to ride. Planning to upgrade the brakes with disc.

Attached Images
IMAG0495.jpg (94.8 KB, 415 views)
Old 06-03-15, 09:37 PM
70cst

Bikes: 1949 Raliegh Superbe, mid 60's Schwinn Corvette & 1970 Schwinn Collegiate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In process of purchasing my 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Attached Images
Raleigh Twenty....jpg (95.5 KB, 390 views)
Raleigh Twenty........jpg (97.7 KB, 381 views)
Raleigh Twenty.........jpg (96.2 KB, 377 views)
Old 06-17-15, 03:09 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bought a 2003 BMW Q mountain bike. Rear swing arm folds up with wheels off. Sorry photo would not upload.

BMW folding bike

Added longer seatpost and detachable pedals. I really like the suspension design.

Last edited by bhkyte; 06-30-15 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 06:15 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not finished modified Downtube Mini-2015 model and spiffed up for the picture. I changed the seat, brakes, pedals, and tires; added fenders and rear rack; not pictured the rear strobe and front light. Love it by the way. Thanks Yan. I am having a blast with it. P.S. Nothing wrong with it stock; I can never leave well enough alone.

Oh, by the way, it was an ice breaker for my brand new neighbor. Apparently, his father and his buddies were welders and used to pass the time by fabricating their own folding bikes and the likes for fun in the late 60's-early 70's. This explains the cross-section of admires I have gotten when I take it out for a spin.
Attached Images
Mini V2.jpg (98.2 KB, 408 views)
Old 06-30-15, 08:03 PM
tyCycler
Noob

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheran75
My Downtube FS 9, upgraded with adjustable stem and Continental Contacts, pretty nice to ride. Planning to upgrade the brakes with disc.

Hi, looks great... where did you find that adjustable stem that fits in the downtube standard front tube? Thanks!
Old 06-30-15, 10:06 PM
iamclaus

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roegmann

Not finished modified Downtube Mini-2015 model... ...added fenders and rear rack
I'm curious why you chose to use a seatpost-mounted rack instead a regular rack?
Old 06-30-15, 10:46 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick on/quick off. I usually use a backpack, so the rack is rarely used. It can hold about 35 lbs, which is more than I pack when flying let alone biking.
Old 07-01-15, 12:33 AM
cheran75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyCycler
Hi, looks great... where did you find that adjustable stem that fits in the downtube standard front tube? Thanks!
Hi,
I actually found about that stem from this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...l#post17810175

Bought that from bikewagon.com on sale for $15, I've used the spacer near the QR to hold the stem properly. It's really good and completely changed the bike's dynamics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Satori-ST-Ad...-/400523663737

Last edited by cheran75; 07-01-15 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Including the ebay link
Old 07-01-15, 01:51 AM
Beic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine is a UK Dawes Jack,

The name is obvious
Attached Images
jack.jpg (84.4 KB, 381 views)
Old 07-01-15, 12:43 PM
tyCycler
Noob

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheran75
Hi,
I actually found about that stem from this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bi...l#post17810175

Bought that from bikewagon.com on sale for $15, I've used the spacer near the QR to hold the stem properly. It's really good and completely changed the bike's dynamics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Satori-ST-Ad...-/400523663737
Great! thanks for the links too! Now I just need to find it in stock somewhere.
Old 07-08-15, 10:39 PM
622keehner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few days back I got a new Downtube Mini--& yesterday retrieved it, put together & checked out, from LBS. So far, it is really fun.
Old 07-19-15, 05:30 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Forrest...

Old 07-30-15, 02:27 PM
CHECHO

Bikes: less than I wanted

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi There! First post here… (well, second actually, I made my first one on the welcome post on the main page). I’ve riding a modified Dahon MU Uno for about one year now, and I can’t be happier… I can’t say that I move completely away from the car, since I have two kids and that’s somehow impossible, however for things like commuting to work or moving around the city I’m using exclusively my bike. The bike is a Dahon Mu Uno that I bought new from Amazon… and I made it some modifications that include:
New bull-horn handlebar from Retrospec Bikes
SRAM Automatix 2 speed rear hub (coaster brake)
Carbon Drive Belt system (60x22).
Brooks B-17 red saddle (which is more like wine color)
The bike is extremely fun to ride! Is fast, and beautiful… the latest change was the Red Belt, to match the handlebar tape and the saddle…
No name yet, still thinking about it, suggestions are welcome!
Attached Images
final2_lowqua.jpg (98.1 KB, 489 views)
final3_lowqua.jpg (93.5 KB, 478 views)
final5_lowqua.jpg (98.3 KB, 474 views)
final10_lowqua.jpg (101.1 KB, 469 views)
final12_lowqua.jpg (104.6 KB, 495 views)
Old 08-02-15, 02:40 PM
cheran75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyCycler
Great! thanks for the links too! Now I just need to find it in stock somewhere.
@tyCycler let me know if you can't find that stem, I've removed that stem last week and replaced with Aber Hallo Stem to make the fold compact. I can send that Satori stem across to you if you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.