Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bionx - Removing the speed limit with BigXionFlasher

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bionx - Removing the speed limit with BigXionFlasher

Old 07-28-15, 05:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Some other codes that can be set and changed to your riding style satisfaction are;
0007 Sensor sensitivity
0008 Pulse adjust
0009 Pulse sensitivity adjust.
1234 Speed signal
1970 Configure backlight activation
2001 KM/Mi
2002 Re-gen braking.
2003 Time last for battery
2004 Clock
2005 Wheel size
2006 Brake sensor2007 Polarity for throttle
3772 Diagnostic mode
3776 Speed the motor starts assist.
3773 Max speed (I guess you can lower it but I can't raise it)
3775 Max throttle speed " " " "
5000 full re-set.

Throttle calibration is a must to get the full benefits of the system...

EDIT; Also upgrading older versions to the present v#64 can go a long way to improve performance for those that want just plug and play...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-29-15 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-10-18, 11:00 PM
JaxOhm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by istomtom
I can remove your Bionx system speed limits. Process is entirely software based, no modifications made to the system, however it does require a temporary hardware connection. Process is also reversible should you want it reversed. I'll reverse it for free, you just pay shipping both ways. Technically voids your warranty. Use bikeflights.com for cheap shipping. As it does require a temporary hardware connection, you need to ship the MOTOR and CONSOLE to me, but not the entire bike.

I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead to ask if anyone who is still using post-bankruptcy BionX systems may have run into the issue that I have, which has now been echoed to me by two local (Seattle) former BionX dealers who still service and have a BIB device. The issue is this: My P350 motor finally gave up the ghost at around 16,000 miles (26,000 km). I had only a year back purchased a brand new 48V 11ah battery, so still have a good two years to go of very serviceable power based on my previous four+ years of experience. So naturally I did not want to have to invest in a whole new system. I found a seller in Canada who had some new old stock 2018 P350DV motors on an appropriately sized BionX rim, which I purchased only to find it would not talk to my console, which had not been updated in over a year. So I took it back to my dealer and had it updated using their BIB and what I'm told is the only remaining resource BionX left available to them to update with. Therein apparently lies the problem, as relayed to me by another local dealer. That firmware update, the only one available, throws the console into what appears to be a bricked-in version of a Europe-Only version of the software and console settings. My console came back with the four control buttons horizontally flopped, completely set to metric settings (wish we'd get on board with that regardless, but sadly we have not), and worst of all, with the speed limiter locked in to a top speed of 25km/h (@16mph). The only good news was that the console NOW worked with the new motor and I had a working eBike...sort of. After 16,000 miles of a daily hilly commute to and from work, and being a fairly aggressive rider who is riding for a workout as well as getting from point a to b, that drop in performance is, well, pardon the pun, a drag! My dealers here have not found the resource for bypassing the firmware and once it's in, there's no going back (even if I could the new motor would not work with it and the old one is toast). So I'm wondering if anyone else who's hanging on to their BionX systems trying to squeeze all they can out of their investment, has run into this issue, and more importantly, have you found a way around it to increase the speed limit? Using the 3773 code the display flashes back and forth at the bottom between "high" and "low" and reads 32 (presumably km/h) which actually is where I'd like it to be, but in actual riding the limiter is locked into 25km/h. When trying to use the + and - keys to raise or lower, or change anything at all on the display, nothing at all changes. The odometer key also does nothing. Pushing the power key just brings the display back to the home screen. I am not by any means a capable electrical tinkerer who can put together a device like that described on this thread to remove the speed limiter entirely, and don't know if that's even possible with this latest firmware and a 2018-built motor (mine is)? I've only just now set my wheel circumference to half to see on my next ride whether that will only have an effect on the display, or perhaps on the overall speed...but I haven't got high hopes there.

So has anyone else run up against this, and does anyone have suggestions of a way to bypass the brick wall, short of sending my wheel and console to someone with more electrical engineering savvy than myself? I'm in Seattle - is there anyone local to me who may be doing this hack to remove the limiter? thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 11-11-18, 09:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Also try endless sphere and pedelecs.co.uk; there are individuals who are conversant with BionX there. Is it feasible to transfer the "guts" of the new motor into the old?
Old 11-11-18, 09:53 AM
JaxOhm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Also try endless sphere and pedelecs.co.uk; there are individuals who are conversant with BionX there. Is it feasible to transfer the "guts" of the new motor into the old?
I'm fairly certain in this the control board in the old one that has failed. I don't even know which version that board is, and also don't know how easy that swap might be, whether or not its something in my comfort zone. I'd planned on taking it apart eventually to see if I could bring it back to life, but my concerns are more immediate since I commute year-round, and spare time is precious so that won't be something I'll get to for a long while. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just a newbie to the list so they won't let me send personal messages to other members until I've hit 15 posts. I'm working on it.
Old 11-11-18, 10:07 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
This may or not be helpful, but there is an individual who has purchased the remaining stock of BionX parts from bankruptcy (see BionX Parts). AFAIK, his company only sells in Canada now.
Old 11-11-18, 11:14 AM
JaxOhm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
This may or not be helpful, but there is an individual who has purchased the remaining stock of BionX parts from bankruptcy (see BionX Parts). AFAIK, his company only sells in Canada now.
Thanks. The person I purchased the wheel from definitely has quite a few parts from the bankruptcy and is in Canada. I've reached out to him to see if he can help, but I don't think he was aware of the issue with the remaining firmware update since he was the one who suggested that was needed to get the motor to work with my bike. When I told him what resulted he was not at all familiar with the issue. He knows a former BionX employee who I've asked him to consult with.
Old 11-11-18, 02:08 PM
JaxOhm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could use some help tailoring my console settings. First of all, reducing the wheel circumference by half does nothing at all to alter the top speed limitations. I'm still locked out at 16mph (now reading 8mph on the console so it DOES have an effect on the display, but nothing more).

I also tried a previous suggestion by Psych to give these settings a try:

0007 - set to 3.0 (sensor sensitivity)
0008 - set A to 4.0, B to 3.0 (extra assistance)
1234 - set to 2 (sensor speed signal)

Now theirs was a 3 year-old post and they only made three posts so I doubt their here anymore, and the actual settings mentioned have changed their definitions with revisions in the firmware, but it looks like they may be still similar in what they do. It definitely yielded a more responsive ride and also ate up my charge faster in a ride I'd tried a week ago with the default settings.

So I've looked at the various posted lists of what the console codes do, and I must admit to being a bit lost in getting to change what I need to change. Can anyone help me here...aside from the initial extensive post a few back, explaining how I'd like to get that top speed changed to 20 (not happening on code 3773), I also need to address the responsiveness, which I had done on my previous motor, but have completely forgotten how. Can anyone tell me how to:

1. Remove or reduce to nearly nothing, the delay from a stop that the assist kicks in? This has got me in trouble currently when stopped facing up a steep hill, even in the right gear. I ride an eBike because I have a partially torn meniscus (to exercise without tearing it further). I can do this by sticking to low-impact exercise. Starting on a steep uphill does not qualify, and my bad knee is now throbbing from several of those starts on my route. I had my previous motor set up to start with a split second delay. I have not been able to find that setting again.

2. Once I've set that, I'd prefer the motor assist level to come in more gradually, rather than the abrupt racing speed it seems to now, as well as to ease off at the limiter speed a bit more gradually rather than the abrupt on/off it now does.

Can anyone help me with those two adjustments? And, again, if there are any BionX hackers in the Seattle area, or even within an hour or two from here, I'd love to get this speed limiter removed.