Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

i wanna learn how to ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 10:07 PM
debbieh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I didn't know where to post this hope here is ok.
I'm 30 years old . Mother of 2 year old twins and step mother of 10 years old boy. I never rode a bike always wanted to ride never had the chance specially since I was always overweight .. last year I reached my highest weight ever 250 lb that's when it hit me I have to take care of myself I have kids now ..
I started dieting and exercising. Up till today I lost 60+ lb and still going. I feel healthier and stronger physically and mentally. I'm going healthy food for the whole family.
So its time to learn how to ride a bike and add this to my daily activity . 2 days ago I bought 26 " mountain bike multispeed and gear.
It was more of financial decision. It was the cheapest in the store. But I'm glad I like it.
And as I read more I feel good with this decision.
But. But. But.
Its been 2 days I try yo ride glide and nothing.
Its frustrating. I don't balance. I've been thinking of training wheels or just going for trike . But it makes me sad to think this way I don't want to give up. But I don't know what to do. This is so hard. Is there any tips and trecks I can try? .or should I really go for training wheels? .
What do you think or feel about training wheels ? They are expensive for adults I don't want to make this expense if I can learn without them. Thank you all for reading and pleas b generous with Ur thoughta and advice.
Old 04-02-15, 10:54 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
My advice would be to not go too slow. That sounds counterintuitive, but honestly, it is harder to keep your balance going slow. You have to ride more than once or twice to get used to it. The more you do it, the easier it will become. Does the bike fit you properly? Did you purchase it from a bike shop or a big box store like Wal-Mart?
Old 04-02-15, 11:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Take the pedals off the bike and adjust the seat to where you can easily touch the ground."Walk" the bike while sitting on the seat and try to keep rolling without touching the ground with your feet. Mildly declining driveways or hills will help.
Old 04-03-15, 12:13 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Take the pedals off the bike and adjust the seat to where you can easily touch the ground."Walk" the bike while sitting on the seat and try to keep rolling without touching the ground with your feet. Mildly declining driveways or hills will help.
Good advice. Also, you don't steer a bicycle by turning the handle bars, you steer by leaning in the direction you want to go. You hold the handlebars to support part of your weight, and to limit how far you lean, or how quickly you turn. Keep at it, once you get the hang of riding, you will enjoy it a lot.
Old 04-03-15, 06:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
This. Taking the pedals off might be difficult without the proper wrench, and knowing that the left pedal is backwards threaded. Try with the pedals on and see how much they get in the way.

As you do it, get used to using the brakes and feel how they work. The front brake has more stopping power than the rear.
When you get going faster, practice quick stopping, so that when you need to stop quickly, you are prepared.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-03-15, 06:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
REI has classes

Cycling Classes: Learn How to Ride a Bike | REI Outdoor School - REI.com
Old 04-03-15, 08:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Way to Go!

Debbie,
Your story is inspiring, and you've come to the right place. I want to echo and agree with the advice (above) to remove the pedals, lower the seat so that you can straddle the bike seated with your feet on the ground.

Then, find a gentle incline and go to the top. Lift you feet just a bit and allow the bike to roll. Get the feel for how your body controls the direction, while you make only minor changes to the steering. Most control comes from how you lean slightly.

Keep trying, and you will get it. When you can roll for some distance under control, and can turn to change your direction, you'll be ready to put the pedals back on. Then repeat the glide with your feet on the pedals. Once that is comfortable, begin to use the pedals to add power.

Best of luck, Phil
Old 04-03-15, 10:05 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No, don't get training wheels! They are an impediment to learning to ride, because they teach you do things which are counter-productive to actual riding (Like leaning the wrong way in turns).

99% of learning to ride is mental. Just about anyone can balance; it's just a matter of "letting yourself go" and doing it. The less you think about it, the better. This is why adults typically have a harder time learning to ride than children. When you're a kid, it's easy: Daddy holds you up as you ride along; he lets go and you don't realize it until you see him standing 100' back. You realize "Hey, I can do this myself!"; and then just keep on doing it.

One day, you'll just get on that bike and say "aww, screw it!" and just ride! It's like swimming- we're all capable of it; Some people just don't realize it, and do things to sabotage themselves because they're convinced that they're going to fall/drown.

I taught myself to ride a unicycle when I was 13.....just got on it and did it.

Act like you know what you're doing; have confidence; and just do it. It's actually very natural- our bodies just naturally do it- just like walking. Just don't think about it.

Congrats on the weight loss and healthy choices. In a few hours or days you'll be riding, and embarking on a lifetime of enjoyment!
Old 04-03-15, 10:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The first Bikes Had No Pedals.

Children's first bikes Now have No Pedals so the 1st thing the brain is trained to do is learn Balance.
keeping the bike underneath You.

no reason why an adult could not take the same approach take off the pedals . lower the seat so the ground is easy to reach.

then once the Balance is mastered, put the gears Back on .. I'd recommend leaving the hand brake On Of Course..
Old 04-03-15, 11:02 AM
debbieh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thank you all for great advices u gave so much confidence to just go keep trying. Along with all Ur tips I also found some more tips in this forum Wichita I'm thankful so today I went to park with my husband to practice and I did it it was just for few seconds at atone but at least now Im putting both my feet on padels and I pedal. Here are the tips I kept reminding myself of and they do work nothing will happen first try I kept reminding myself .something go against my normal reflux. As an adult I have more fears I had to let go.
1- not to look at my feet look forward. Thank you so much for this advice. I read it everywhere in this forum it is so true.
2- low saddle. Gives confidence that I can put my feet. Cz as I do have breaks rear and front but my reflux when I wanna to stop is my feet.
3- this one is strange but it is the key and the most important, I've always thought the I can balance with my body. But I reason this forum someone wrote that the handles are not for strafing they are for balancing. And he explained it so well . He said also that we are not supposed to hold it straight hard for me to explain but ill try. Whenever I tried to balance I thought I have to keep the handles straight. But that's wrong it balances by sped of wobbling it left and right. He explained that with experienced cyclists the do big movements that's why its not noticeable
But its more noticeable with beginners. And that's what we should do.
To me that is the most important tip .
I kept reminding myself to not hold the handles straight .and for the first time I was pedaling. I was gliding for the past 3 days with no success. I guess that when most people glide they get this balance. But I didn't since I always kept my handles straight. And I'm so thankful for this forum and to all u guys. I still have along way to go but I am not giving up. Its so motivated.
I'm gonna ride again today and this time I will practice breaks. Have to remember I can break with fingers not feel.
I bought my bike in Walmart for 80$ mountain bike I really love it 26" the more I read I realize Ita good for me as learner even though it has speeds and gears I'm ignoring that now once I'm better rider I will start experiencing with them anyway I'm riding in backyard and parks only at least for the next month or so I will keep updating experience pleas give me more of Ur advices and experience
Thank you all cant say enough thanks
Old 04-03-15, 11:07 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
A low saddle is not a good thing. This can cause problems with your legs and knees and can make the bike seem harder to pedal. You will want to raise that up higher once you get more accustomed to riding. Your feet really should not touch the ground while you are seated on the saddle. If they do, it is generally too low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12rBydlxeI

Last edited by TenSpeedV2; 04-03-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:15 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent, Debbie!

If you can pedal for a few feet and not fall over....you've essentially got it! Every time you try now, you'll be able to go a little further- and before long, you'll just be doing it like it's nothing, for as long as you want to. The hardest part is over already! You're getting it!

Now if you have the confidence to go a little faster, it'll be even easier. (The slower you go, the harder it is to balance. But it's our natural instinct to want to go really slow when we're not sure we can do it).

And when you're going really slow...the handlebars are used for steering. What they call counter-steering/leaning to turn, doesn't really kick-in until you're going over approximately 12MPH. (Nothing to worry about....you'll just do it naturally)
Old 04-03-15, 11:18 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advie, good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-03-15, 11:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
go, Go, GO! What lucky kids to have you set an example!
Old 04-03-15, 12:21 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I agree with the above about training wheels. If you watch a kid with training wheels, they are no better off than if they had a tricycle...

It sounds like you are on the way, and have had a lot of good advice.

Congratulations on your decision to ride! Keep us informed on how it goes.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-03-15, 12:36 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could find a long gradual grassy slope to practice balancing on. Downside is coming back up over and over(added incentive?). When you move on to pedaling and driving you might try an elementary school on the weekends, the parking lots are usually empty.

I think it's great your are going to this!!
Good luck.

Felix
Old 04-03-15, 01:04 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
To go along with the advice to not hold the bars straight, you should definitely relax in general. If you are stiff, or try too hard, you can over-adjust. Ironically, when I am paying very close attention to what I am doing, I am less stable than when I relax.

In fact, I think that is a key element in keeping the saddle low when first learning... it is not that it is significantly easier to balance with a low saddle, but that you don't feel so vulnerable, and can relax.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-03-15, 01:14 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Also, check your local bike coalition. Mine does "learn to ride a bike" classes for adults too on a regular basis!
Old 04-03-15, 01:18 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by debbieh
1- not to look at my feet look forward. Thank you so much for this advice. I read it everywhere in this forum it is so true.
2- low saddle. Gives confidence that I can put my feet. Cz as I do have breaks rear and front but my reflux when I wanna to stop is my feet.
3- this one is strange but it is the key and the most important, I've always thought the I can balance with my body. But I reason this forum someone wrote that the handles are not for strafing they are for balancing. And he explained it so well . He said also that we are not supposed to hold it straight hard for me to explain but ill try. Whenever I tried to balance I thought I have to keep the handles straight.
1. Correct . Look ahead, down the road where you want to go, watching for holes, sticks etc. When you see a problem, like a pot hole, don't focus on it. See where it is, but then turn your attention to where you want to go. That will help lead you away from the pothole.

2. Low saddle is perfect for learning. But gradually raise it up bit bu bit as you gain confidence.

3. You do hold the bars straight when going straight, but not "rigidly" straight. You relax your upper body & arms so that there is a little wiggle room as you are seeing.

4. Get used to your brakes. Purposely brake hard a few times so you can be prepared for hard braking if you need to stop suddenly. A department store bike likely has cheap brake pads. A good investment would be high quality brake pads from your local bike shop.

5. Once you are comfortable with a higher saddle, so that your feet don't reach the ground when riding, practice starting & stopping.

Good starting & stopping is right in the first 20 seconds

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 04-03-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 01:22 PM
debbieh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I just went out again for just finished another session 😊. Its still not easy for me to kik off it yaks me few tries. But once I do it I keep going g I did full lap around my block it was amazing my first mile. It ended with me falling on my arm now it hurts but that was my first fall my first mile I'm smiling in pain I'm proud of this pain love it love it. I keep forgetting that I have breaks so I always try to stop bike with my body Wichita is hoe I ended up falling. I was reading earlier about best way to fall but I couldn't understand what that means if anyone can tell me about that maybe if I know how to fall correct I won't b afraid to fall anymore.
And I also still don't know how to turn unless its big space I make big turn like a car hhhh LOL 😊😊🌻
Next to learn.
1- how to break.
2- how to take off standing not sitting on saddle .so I can put it higher. I still have it low.
3- how to control my turns and make smaller turns and cycles ..
What else should I learn?

Last edited by debbieh; 04-03-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 02:01 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gloves, Elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet are requirements until you are somewhat proficient. You wouldn't want to get injured while your learning. A Helmet is a permanent requirement.
Old 04-03-15, 02:34 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I think the three things you have listed will go far in getting you proficient.

One comment, I have been riding most of my life, and tight turns are still not easy for me. The reason is that to turn without taking too much space requires a rider to slow way down, and as a rider goes slower, balance is more difficult. On a narrow street, I can turn around, but on a rail trail, it is an adventure to get turned around without putting my foot down... so, in other words, don't think you need to be able to turn very quickly to enjoy riding. 99% of your riding will be straight, or gentle turns. Don't be too concerned with the other 1 percent. If you ride on the streets and trails, you don't want to turn quickly anyway, in case there is someone behind you that you didn't notice.

If you are riding somewhere that a turn can't be done relatively easily at cruising speed, you may want to find another place to ride.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-03-15, 03:00 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
You made it around the block. Congratulations, you are a cyclist! Just keep practicing, better skills just come with time. You may find many short sessions work better than a long (tiring) one. At least that's how it worked for me when learning to ride a unicycle at 40 years old.
Old 04-03-15, 03:07 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
If you are riding somewhere that a turn can't be done relatively easily at cruising speed, you may want to find another place to ride.
An empty parking lot without light poles is a good place to learn.
Old 04-03-15, 03:24 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Don't be afraid to put your foot down when making a really slow/really tight turn. There's comes a point where you're going too slow to maintain balance, or turning too sharp....you just need to put a foot out to steady yourself, or "walk" the bike around while still straddling it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.