Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 12:01 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Bike Fit

I'm in the market for a road bike -- the first in many years -- and I'd like to get some insight as to whether a formal bike fit is worth the cost. I know what it means to have a bike that doesn't fit correctly and would like to avoid that mistake again. I tend to ride once or twice a week between 30-60 miles at a time. I plan to work up to 100 miles.

Today, I wandered into Bike Effect, a high-end cycling shop in Santa Monica, CA to look at bikes. Before they'd even show me any, they took all kinds of measurements. Through the process, they helped me understand some things I noticed on various test rides, but couldn't explain why. For instance, I prefer frames with race geometry even though I'm an endurance rider. Though I didn't know why before today, the technician observed that my ratio of inseam to body height is a little lower than average. This helped explain why I tend to feel cramped if the handlebars are too close or too high up. To me, this is a level of insight that I doubt I could have gotten any other way.

But what helped convince me that the bike fit may be worthwhile is that they'll do the initial measurements BEFORE I get the bike, and even review various frame geometries from brands they don't carry to assist in the purchase decision. Then, when I do buy the bike, even from somewhere else, I can bring it there for the rest of the fitting process. At least that's how I understood it.

So my basic question is this: Is bike fitting, even for a weekend rider like me, worth the expense? Does it help you find more ideal frame geometry, then give you a fit that you notice and appreciate over time?
Old 06-24-18, 12:41 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
First, not all pro fits are good. If you want a fit, find a really good fitter with years of experience - not just some computer system. Fitting yourself with some basic practical rules is better than paying someone to make you uncomfortable.

Second, you may not have to pay for your fit. At the last shop I worked at, which had the best fitter in the midwest, the cost of the fit was deducted from the bicycle. For people unsure of what bike they wanted, deciding to get a Cervelo from us over a Trek somewhere else was certainly made easier by having the fitting cost go away.

Third, you have ridden a road bike before: Do you know of any problem you need addressed with a fit? Back, neck, knees, leg length? Then absolutely get a good one.

A good fit is comprehensive - it should set up your cleats and brake lever reach and location, and provide you with recommendations for both frame size for specific models and a way to set up the new bike to spec, or even have the fitter do that for you to finalize the fit.
Old 06-24-18, 03:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Being properly fit is essential to road biking at any level. Priority changes a bit for each level rider of course. A pro will need to be more aerodynamic for nth degree speed of course. An amateur...take an amateur like me, won't ride as slammed. There is range of fit among pros as well.
I have to say, the shop you visited is way outside the norm. Most shops won't go near a customer with a tape measure unless they are leaning heavily toward a given bike.

What you write about torso to leg length ratio is accurate. I am the opposite in fact with longer legs and therefore I lean toward bikes with taller head tube aka endurance bikes.

To me, it is extremely rare to get fit right, right out of the gate. Fit is a work in progress. After 40 years of riding, some competitive, my fit has evolved. Bodies change with time and fitness as well. Most can sustain more drop with a leaner, stronger body.

So the world of fit is a bit uncharted for the beginner. As Kontact said, all you can do is try to find the smartest guy in your town to fit you. That may or may not be at your bike shop. A common mistake is to try and fit a given rider to a given bike...when another bike may fit the rider better which is reflected in your comments.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-18, 10:37 AM
Robert A

Thanks, Campag and Kontact. The question is, how do you evaluate the skill and experience of the fitter? For example, the fitter at Bike Effect has these qualifications:

Steven has worked for fifteen years to become a master at his craft fitting every caliber of cyclist from recreational to professional including national champions, Olympic medalists, and Grand Tour winners. Steven holds the distinction of being one of the original eight to achieve Specialized Master Fit Certification, is certified by SICI, and is a Cyclologic Cycling Analysis Professional instructor.

Helens Cycles, a local chain uses Nate Loyal. His website says the following:

For over the last fourteen years Nate has worked with, and trained along-side, some of the best coaches in the world. Such as Mr. Ernesto Colnago and Dr. Max Testa who regard Nate as one of the best bike fitters in the USA.

Both seem solid,and the Yelp reviews for each appear to confirm this. Moreover, the off-the-street experience at Bike Effect suggests that proper bike fitting is their core mission.
Old 06-24-18, 10:43 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Based on those resumes and this thread about a Nate Loyal fit, I would pick Steven of the two:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-question.html

Check yelp reviews and do searches for Steven.
Old 06-24-18, 11:00 AM
Robert A

Well, now that I'm starting to search a little deeper, does anyone know about these guys?

https://www.ero-sports.com/2018/

Originally Posted by Kontact
Based on those resumes and this thread about a Nate Loyal fit, I would pick Steven of the two:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-question.html

Check yelp reviews and do searches for Steven.