Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Got road raged yesterday.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Got road raged yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 09:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
...... Keep your eyes open long enough and you too might observe all sorts of things.
I regularly cross a road that has a million + cars/users a month. Every idiotic thing that can happen in traffic happens there. People will always act like people. This really is a cup half... something or the other. It isn't about traffic or any particular motorist (or cyclist). It's about attitude.

Every ride I take is a true joy. Oh sure... every now-and-again I have to take a deep breath after a close call... but that is very rare. If I wasn't having fun... I'd buy a sports car.
Old 12-17-15, 09:35 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Really, you would stop in the middle of a narrow road with plenty of oncoming traffic? That sounds moronic.
If I had any indication that the driver behind me was a menace, you bet I would. I'd slow, signal my intention to stop and then put my foot down. I would wait for the car(s) to pass and then I'd continue on down or up.

I'm not a moron, I believe in putting the bad people in a place where they can't hurt me. You'd be wise to do likewise.
Old 12-18-15, 07:06 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I regularly cross a road that has a million + cars/users a month. Every idiotic thing that can happen in traffic happens there. People will always act like people. This really is a cup half... something or the other. It isn't about traffic or any particular motorist (or cyclist). It's about attitude.

Every ride I take is a true joy. Oh sure... every now-and-again I have to take a deep breath after a close call... but that is very rare. If I wasn't having fun... I'd buy a sports car.
Look I generally agree with you... Most of the time I ride, no problem... but like you there are those now and then moments... what gets me is that the now and then moments may be caused by folks that are angry just because you are doing just the right thing.

My "stats" for "situations" is something like this... about once, maybe twice a year, I encounter some rage situation. Maybe once a month or so, I encounter some situation of motorist just not paying attention... nothing intentional like a rage thing, but potentially dangerous none the less...
Old 12-18-15, 10:38 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
..... My "stats" for "situations" is something like this... about once, maybe twice a year, I encounter some rage situation. Maybe once a month or so, I encounter some situation of motorist just not paying attention... nothing intentional like a rage thing, but potentially dangerous none the less...
+1 About the same here. On a rare occasion I have actually pulled over between parked cars (for protection). Then unclipped a foot, and took a long slow drink from my water bottle, when a deep breathe wasn't pause enough. My rides are "my" time... and I have no desire (or intention) to allow some idiot to drive and or honk their way into my fun.
Old 01-02-16, 04:54 AM
Saving Hawaii

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP was this on Chico River Road by chance?
Nope. I moved away from Chico pretty recently to a major west coast city that has a reputation for bike-friendliness (aka: one of the ones that isn't LA). There's a lot of perks to living here but bike riding isn't one of them. I can't get to my local Safeway without having semis blow past me at 40mph within inches of my handlebars. The foo foo grocery store closer to my home is door-zone bike lane the whole way. Drivers here are ridiculously aggressive, punish pass for fun. And the roads are a potholed mess with zero consideration for bicycles. When I lived in Chico I used to make okay money on the side doing food deliveries by bike. $20/hr take-home isn't bad. I can make similar $ doing that here but I don't have the confidence to ride my bike in the traffic here for hours and hours everyday. I tried it and I ended up in too many places that felt genuinely terrifying to me.

I don't get all the press about how big cities are bicycle friendly. This place has a great reputation for that and it is 100x worse than Chico which doesn't get much applause.

God I wish the roads here were like Chico River Road. I never had an issue on that for the year that I road it every single day.
Old 01-05-16, 08:12 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I had someone blow their horn, flash their lights, and flip me off while passing me on the shoulder of an on ramp for going too slow.

I was driving a double trailer semi rig at the time. Some people have no sense, or respect, and don't belong behind the wheel.
Ditto. I have no plans to take on idiots in 2 ton weapons, what's the point?
Old 01-06-16, 09:36 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slimyfrog
I feel the same way. Granted the OP's nemesis was undoubtedly being a jerk, but why not just let them go by? Standing in their way taught them nothing, only reinforced their demented rage. And certainly did not make the OP safer. As far as the jerk is concerned, their behavior will catch up to them.
they caught up with me, best believe theyre gonna be stuck there
Old 01-06-16, 10:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
If I could have reasonably done anything to have facilitated the pass I would have. I certainly would have helped him out when I hit the up slope. Had the motorist done anything that I perceived as dangerous or disrespectful, I would have likely expressed that displeasure in some way. I have on rare occasion invited a motorist to the side of the road to chat with me. Nobody ever has.
Old 01-06-16, 10:35 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If I could have reasonably done anything to have facilitated the pass I would have. I certainly would have helped him out when I hit the up slope. Had the motorist done anything that I perceived as dangerous or disrespectful, I would have likely expressed that displeasure in some way. I have on rare occasion invited a motorist to the side of the road to chat with me. Nobody ever has.
Probably a good thing... as I and others have discovered... such conversation tends to be rather one sided, and centers around concepts like "roads made for cars," "road tax," "you don't pay taxes," and "roads were made for cars." (yes, I did repeat that one, as it comes up so darn often... ) Never does it come down to "hey, we're all humans just trying to get somewhere."
Old 01-06-16, 01:33 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm always amazed by the number of cycling videos from the UK or Europe where the cyclist feels wronged in some way and motions for the driver to pull over, to which they readily oblige, then jump out and have a chat. Sometimes civil and sometimes not.
Old 01-07-16, 11:12 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Do you know what was going on in the drivers life? Was he passing a kidney stone and trying to get to the hospital? Just received a call that his child was in a crash, is on life support, and being rushed to the hospital in an ambulance? Had just been told by his wife that she was leaving him for his (now former) best friend whom she'd been having sex with for the past 5 years? Fired from his job for no good reason? Or a very long list of other stuff?
Even if any of those things are happening to him in his life, doesn't mean he should drive like an a-hole and putting others lives at risk.
Old 01-07-16, 05:38 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
Even if any of those things are happening to him in his life, doesn't mean he should drive like an a-hole and putting others lives at risk.
If you received a call that your child had been taken to the emergency room in critical condition and might well die within hours would you drive patiently behind some bicycle rider on your way to hopefully see your child before they die?
Old 01-11-16, 01:51 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
If you received a call that your child had been taken to the emergency room in critical condition and might well die within hours would you drive patiently behind some bicycle rider on your way to hopefully see your child before they die?
I don't drive. So I would tell whomever, to bust a gut driving to the hospital. Without endangering someone.
Old 01-11-16, 08:23 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If you received a call that your child had been taken to the emergency room in critical condition and might well die within hours should you drive patiently and stop at all the red lights and stop signs on your way to hopefully see your child before they die?
Old 01-11-16, 09:33 AM
John33702

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy, Schwinn 3rd Avenue

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Having moved to Florida nearly three years ago, and back into bicycling two years ago, I decided to check out Florida's bicycle laws. The state classifies a bicycle as a 'vehicle' and the rider is the 'driver'. As such bicycles are held to the same laws and conditions as any automobile. Riding on the sidewalks is illegal but the police turn a blind eye to it because of the dangers of all kinds of vehicles, including buses and trucks, mixing with bicycles.

I was waiting at a red light when a van driver behind me blew his horn and gestured for me to get on the sidewalk. That ticked me off because he couldn't go anywhere, anyway. Still, where I live I see hardly any pedestrians using the sidewalks, so I now ride on them and they become a bike lane for me. Just one problem is that if I should run into a pedestrian, it won't matter who caused it, I'd be in the wrong and would get a ticket for it.
Old 01-11-16, 10:08 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John33702
Having moved to Florida nearly three years ago, and back into bicycling two years ago, I decided to check out Florida's bicycle laws. The state classifies a bicycle as a 'vehicle' and the rider is the 'driver'. As such bicycles are held to the same laws and conditions as any automobile. Riding on the sidewalks is illegal but the police turn a blind eye to it because of the dangers of all kinds of vehicles, including buses and trucks, mixing with bicycles.

I was waiting at a red light when a van driver behind me blew his horn and gestured for me to get on the sidewalk. That ticked me off because he couldn't go anywhere, anyway. Still, where I live I see hardly any pedestrians using the sidewalks, so I now ride on them and they become a bike lane for me. Just one problem is that if I should run into a pedestrian, it won't matter who caused it, I'd be in the wrong and would get a ticket for it.
You have to be super cautious at every street crossing AND every driveway also. If a motorist pulls out and hits you at a driveway you would likely be held at fault, if in fact sidewalk riding is illegal state-wide (is it really? That seems a little weird).

The most harassment I've ever received on a single ride was in Destin and Mirarmar Beach, FL, riding on Old Scenic 98 at 6 AM with almost no other traffic, where a few motorists couldn't bear to just change lanes to pass because I wasn't on the adjacent side path (dangerous for 15+ MPH riding). Also a sheriff deputy incorrectly told me over his loud speaker that I must be on the white line. Total BS.
Old 01-12-16, 09:09 AM
John33702

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy, Schwinn 3rd Avenue

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If a motorist pulls out and hits you at a driveway you would likely be held at fault, if in fact sidewalk riding is illegal state-wide (is it really? That seems a little weird).
It depends on where we get our information. I know that I read it is illegal to ride on sidewalks, I did another search, just now, to get the latest info from the state website. It is legal to ride on sidewalks. It comes with a warning about responsible use (which stands to reason). Now I won't feel guilty when I'm on the sidewalk and I see a cop.

I'm a bit surprised at a law which was updated in 2012. It is no longer required to keep at least one hand on the handlebars. That doesn't make much sense to me. I recall a time in London when I was riding 'no hands' and a cop with a speaker on the front of his car, crept up behind me and scared me so badly I almost fell off the bike when he shouted at me to get my hands on the handlebars.