Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist dies in 'bizarre incident' on Vancouver's Seawall

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist dies in 'bizarre incident' on Vancouver's Seawall

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 01:48 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
An unfortunate incident. There are a couple of narrow passes on my commute in a part of town frequented by people who seem to be troubled by drugs, alcohol or mental illness. I worry that some one could reach out and push me into traffic, so I slow down or stop to avoid that possibility. But I also watch out for their welfare and I have called the authorities when I've seen some one passed out in an unusual location, because it could be a medical condition. Or if they are walking in the street challenging cars to hit them. Or if they are shivering in the cold off the beaten track when traffic won't see them. Regarding this freak accident, you just can't anticipate everything that could possibly happen, nor imagine it.
My maternal aunt n' uncle used to live in the Springs for 30yrs.. Before they moved back to Raleigh, North Carolina last year. I had heard about downtown in the Springs, several years ago. The Springs has gone from the oasis it once was. Almost to being in competition to, what DC became during the (Marion)Barry administration's third(he had four non-consecutively) term as Mayor. Where he was caught in a crack cocaine sting that sent him to prison for a couple years(his fourth term was after his prison term).

There is also Compton, California. That area is notorious for it's problems. The Springs could rival them, too.

Not everything can be anticipated. But being skilled enough at riding in the road. The suddenness of something. Won't catch you off guard.
Old 01-11-16, 03:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've been here 24 years, and while the city had grown, it it's not bad crimewise compared to Denver or even Pueblo. I grew up in Chicago and there is nothing remotely resembling that kind of urban blight.
Old 01-11-16, 09:46 AM
John33702

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy, Schwinn 3rd Avenue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
No no, that is pretty much an artifact of American reporting...
The reporting came from Canada.
Old 01-11-16, 09:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by John33702
The reporting came from Canada.
Yes, correct, but the incessant desire to determine if a helmet was worn, IS an American issue... hence there was no helmet report... as it was Canadian news.
Old 01-11-16, 10:56 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, correct, but the incessant desire to determine if a helmet was worn, IS an American issue... hence there was no helmet report... as it was Canadian news.
As it happens, it seems she wasn't wearing a helmet. Why that is relevant I don't know.
Old 01-11-16, 10:59 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
As it happens, it seems she wasn't wearing a helmet. Why that is relevant I don't know.
It isn't. But the person who brought it up was probably an American.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-11-16, 11:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It could be a case of random bad luck, but the lack of a helmet could definitely be a factor if the cyclist indeed wasn't wearing one. This is precisely the kind of accident in which helmets are good for preventing or lessening injury. Of course, if the cyclist did a face-plant, a helmet might not have helped much.

On the bad luck side, sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was riding home one afternoon when a large wheel either came loose from a truck axle or fell off a truck bed. The wheel came bounding down the street in my direction and almost hit me. It was probably traveling 45 mph and could have killed or seriously injured me if it had hit me. It wasn't just a tire but an entire wheel with a steel rim and very large.
Old 01-11-16, 11:28 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by asmac
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It isn't. But the person who brought it up was probably an American.
Exactly... it is irrelevant... but it is an Americanism to wonder if a helmet was involved...
Old 01-11-16, 11:35 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I hate to sound a fatalistic note, but when I hear of fatalities like this I consider them as proof that when your number's up, it's up. Some things can't be anticipated, defended against or prevented, they just happen......
+1 Everyone who reads this post... (at some point) will die. It is not fatalistic to accept the fact that this "life" is a temporary condition. Although sadly many peoples lives do seem to be cut short. I do think it is as important to live our life.... as it is to preserve it. The trash-picker obviously played a part in shortening the cyclists time here. Hopefully his part in this death was passive.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-11-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 11:45 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Exactly... it is irrelevant... but it is an Americanism to wonder if a helmet was involved...
Only sort of. Americans are taught cause and effect. Often times... the results of such thinking can seem (or even be) a little detached or non-consistent with the reality of events.

If crashes and/or wrecks are a part of bicycle (or even automobile travel) then (the use of) safety equipment is paramount to the safety of travel. So whereas accidents are the nature of the beast... injuries can be the result of neglect.
Old 01-11-16, 11:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Some Americans are obsessed about helmets. One need only look at the helmet thread here on BF to see the intensity of feelings on the subject. Each side of the issue tries to seize on every fatality or serious head injury to bolster their opinion. Helmet advocates say "....a helmet would have prevented.....", while others will say ".... a helmet failed to prevent.....". Of course all this is pure supposition because we only know what did happen and can only guess at what might have happened.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-11-16, 12:08 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Only sort of. Americans are taught cause and effect. Often times... the results of such thinking can seem (or even be) a little detached or non-consistent with the reality of events.

If crashes and/or wrecks are a part of bicycle (or even automobile travel) then (the use of) safety equipment is paramount to the safety of travel. So whereas accidents are the nature of the beast... injuries can be the result of neglect.
The problem with that thinking is that if there wasn't a helmet... those less studious folks amoungst us tend to believe that the collision issues are then the fault of the cyclist... whether he was hit by a bullet, by trash or by a car moving at 60MPH. About the only time those foam hats are any good, is a minor fall from about the height of a bike. And yes, for the sake of disclosure, I do often wear one.

But in this case, the question is tantamount to asking if the occupants of an auto were wearing seatbelts during a drive by shooting...
Old 01-11-16, 12:38 PM
Dave Cutter

The problem with that thinking is that if there wasn't a helmet... those less studious folks amoungst us tend to believe that the collision issues are then the fault of the cyclist.......
.......But in this case, the question is tantamount to asking if the occupants of an auto were wearing seatbelts during a drive by shooting...
I only wear a helmet (at least originally) because my wife made me. But now I see the helmet as all part of the cycling kit/fun.

But I had a pretty serious crash 4 years ago. And I know from personal experience that a helmet makes a HUGE difference. If you don't think a thin layer of Styrofoam offers any protection... next time you get groceries just put your eggs in a bag... and leave the Styrofoam box at the store.

Did the cyclist in question suffer a head injury that caused the crash... that took her life? Sure sounds like it. Often deadly accidents have more than one failure that results in death. The proper safety equipment (a helmet) would NOT have prevented this accident... but it could have prevented the death.

Just like seatbelts don't prevent projectile penetration during a drive-by shooting.... seatbelts may help a swerving driver retain control of the car. The shooter is responsible for the shooting... the driver is responsible for the seatbelts.

Don't get me wrong! I am not blaming the cyclist (or the trash-picker). We all make our choices and the results are often random. But... your head... your head injury. Adults have to take their own share of responsibility for head injury.
Old 01-11-16, 12:46 PM
genec
genec

I only wear a helmet (at least originally) because my wife made me. But now I see the helmet as all part of the cycling kit/fun.

But I had a pretty serious crash 4 years ago. And I know from personal experience that a helmet makes a HUGE difference. If you don't think a thin layer of Styrofoam offers any protection... next time you get groceries just put your eggs in a bag... and leave the Styrofoam box at the store.

Did the cyclist in question suffer a head injury that caused the crash... that took her life? Sure sounds like it. Often deadly accidents have more than one failure that results in death. The proper safety equipment (a helmet) would NOT have prevented this accident... but it could have prevented the death.

Just like seatbelts don't prevent projectile penetration during a drive-by shooting.... seatbelts may help a swerving driver retain control of the car. The shooter is responsible for the shooting... the driver is responsible for the seatbelts.

Don't get me wrong! I am not blaming the cyclist (or the trash-picker). We all make our choices and the results are often random. But... your head... your head injury. Adults have to take their own share of responsibility for head injury.
From the report:
The object struck the cyclist and knocked him face first to the pavement, leaving him unconscious, police said.
Perhaps if the cyclist was wearing a full face MTB style helmet it may have made a difference... but the typical foam hat... not likely, and thus irrelevant to the story.... but Americans just gotta know.
Old 01-11-16, 12:51 PM
FBinNY 

But you are. You say that a helmet wouldn't have prevented the crash which was caused by the tossed trash. But you imply that the cyclist might have fared better if he had a helmet. This is slippery slope thinking, implying that those who cause collisions can argue that the damages would have mitigated if only their victims were more proactive.

I know that what follows is stretching the point, but given the slippery slope, I feel we need to look at the quicksand at the bottom.

Consider a shootout with police where an officer is struck by a gunman's bullet and dies. If it turns out he was hit in the chest, and was not wearing a bullet proof vest, is the gunman any less liable of murder? We might say that the officer takes some responsibility for his failure to protect himself, but that in no way should have us thinking that the gunman is any less responsible. Likewise I want to make sure that nobody who causes a bicycle crash can argue that it wouldn't have been as serious if only....."

BTW- let's try to be civil and not overly argumentative here, lest the mods move it to the helmet thread. To that end, this is my last post here about the helmet aspect.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-11-16 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 03:57 PM
Dave Cutter

...... you imply that the cyclist might have fared better if he had a helmet. This is slippery slope thinking, implying that those who cause collisions can argue that the damages would have mitigated if only their victims were more proactive.

Consider a shootout with police where an officer is struck by a gunman's bullet and dies. If it turns out he was hit in the chest, and was not wearing a bullet proof vest, is the gunman any less liable of murder?
You're calculating backwards (there was NO murder) ..... Say a child chokes (and dies) on hard candy. Is the sitter/parent/candy seller/distributor/transporter/manufacture, who is responsible? And if the "child" was 17?

Adults on bicycles should accept some adult responsibilities.
My first question about the cyclist would have been... was she drinking?

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-11-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 03:59 PM
Dave Cutter

From the report: Perhaps if the cyclist was wearing a full face MTB style helmet it may have made a difference... but the typical foam hat... not likely, and thus irrelevant to the story.... but Americans just gotta know.
Yeah.... helmets aren't required. Most people involved in fatal accident chose not to use them.
Old 01-11-16, 04:44 PM
genec
genec

Yeah.... helmets aren't required. Most people involved in fatal accident chose not to use them.
Yer goin' down the helmet mongers path here... this part of the discussion is whether the victim in the OP was reported to have worn a helmet or not.... an item often reported in US newspapers, regardless of possible protection said helmet might provide... American reporters just have to check off that block.

As to me, yer preachin' to the choir... go back and read post 37. I wear a helmet most of the time... just not so much on very local residential streets, or park rides... I go with the attitude that "hey, it may just help, and I would wear a hat anyway."
Old 01-11-16, 04:49 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Dave Cutter. Actually in BC it's the law to wear your helmet cycling. But the helmet may not have helped.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle28053655/

https://globalnews.ca/news/2439023/va...n-the-seawall/

It seems the trash hit him and caused him to hit face first.

Anyway let's stop blaming, some unfortunate person lost their life.

Last edited by joeyduck; 01-11-16 at 05:00 PM. Reason: links provided
Old 01-11-16, 05:08 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by joeyduck
... Actually in BC it's the law to wear your helmet cycling. But the helmet may not have helped..
I had no idea that helmets were the law there (for adults). Makes me wonder if the cyclist was also drinking.

Originally Posted by joeyduck
...Anyway let's stop blaming, some unfortunate person lost their life.
Thousands of people lost their lives! Thousands more died today... and thousands more will die tomorrow. It's a natural process... and it is no ones fault. The natural cycle of life is anything BUT unfortunate. Blame is a mental (or maybe legal) construct... and has nothing to do with cause and effect.
Old 01-11-16, 05:11 PM
Dave Cutter

... As to me, yer preachin' to the choir... I wear a helmet most of the time...
We're nearly the same. I don't care what my wife says about me wearing a helmet..... I absolutely refuse to wear a helmet while riding the trainer in the basement.
Old 01-11-16, 06:00 PM
John33702

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had no idea that helmets were the law there (for adults). Makes me wonder if the cyclist was also drinking.
Bicycle helmet laws vary from province to province. British Columbia mandates helmets for all ages.

I was once in a head-on motorcycle collision with a Vespa motor scooter in which I landed head-first in the road at 30 mph. The top of my helmet was crushed like the top of a breakfast egg. I have no doubt it saved my life. I wear a bicycle helmet because whatever the arguments are for or against them, I think some protection is better than none.
Old 01-12-16, 08:38 AM
John33702

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
With BC's mandatory helmet use for all ages, it may now also be (or become) a Canadianism
Old 01-14-16, 11:03 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Involuntary manslaughter?
In most jurisdictions it would Voluntary Manslaughter.

Involuntary is only used when you have no other choice. The man in the bin had a choice of whether or not to throw items out of the bin. This death was caused by gross negligence of the man in the bin.

GH
Old 01-14-16, 11:14 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
In most jurisdictions it would Voluntary Manslaughter.

Involuntary is only used when you have no other choice. The man in the bin had a choice of whether or not to throw items out of the bin. This death was caused by gross negligence of the man in the bin.

GH
Not that it matters, but this is wrong.

The issue of choice or intent relates to intent to injure. Voluntary manslaughter would apply if, for instance, you punched somebody and they fell, hit their head and died. When you cause a death without a direct intent to injure, then it's involuntary manslaughter, which included death by negligence.

But calling tossing things out of a dumpster gross negligence is stretching things beyond the breaking point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.