Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

arabia mountain bike trail

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

arabia mountain bike trail

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 06:47 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arabia Mountain bike trail, Lithonia, GA

does anyone here ride this route? I only found it recently, have not rode it. I did a search and someone mentioned there are speed limits for bikes, anyone know? I didn't want to bump that tread as it was rather old. how can someone judge what speed you are going w/o radar? is it safe?

Last edited by xodondum; 04-23-17 at 06:51 AM. Reason: more details
Old 04-23-17, 10:28 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Have ridden it a bit, and there is another poster here...name starts with a C who lives out near it and rides it a lot.

Yes, there are posted speed limits there. There are bicycle and foot police patrolling the trails, as well as Park Rangers, guides, day groups, etc. IDK how they determine how fast you are going.

Arabia and the surrounding trails are steep in places and some of the grades are long. The posted speed is to discourage people from going down these slopes without brakes and thought to the possibility of coming across pedestrians unable to stop safely. There are a couple of fairly wicked turns scattered throughout, and a GREAT deal of wildlife. I have not ridden there without seeing various wild animals about.

You can park at Stonecrest Mall and ride South. Pay close attention to the first part of that trail as you negotiate the neighborhood. Pay attention at the various turn offs as well. I suggest stopping and looking back, especially if you have a bad sense of direction. It isn't as if you will get "lost", but you can add quite a few unnecessary miles on going up the wrong "spur". Starting at Alexander Lake and going North is really nice. There is a little restroom, a spot to get some water, couple of picnic tables as well. I think you have to pay to park there IIRC. The ride North almost immediately goes into beautiful surroundings.

I haven't been out in a minute, but apparently can ride all the way South to the monastery now. Totally worth seeing.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 04-23-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:27 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at parking and it seems parking at Stonecrest Library is much closer than the mall. It makes sense about speed and going downhill. want to ride it soon? I wouldn't mind having a buddy, esp at a new location.

Last edited by xodondum; 04-23-17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 09:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

^ Honestly, thanks but no. With the level of riding I have been doing the past (since Oct) it would likely kill me.
I do truly appreciate the offer though.
Old 04-26-17, 06:13 PM
Gravel.Grinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum

does anyone here ride this route? I only found it recently, have not rode it. I did a search and someone mentioned there are speed limits for bikes, anyone know? I didn't want to bump that tread as it was rather old. how can someone judge what speed you are going w/o radar? is it safe?

I have ridden it extensively. There is no such speed limit to my knowledge that is remotely enforceable and yes some police do patrol it (I ran into only one in the 8 years I lived there) just be courteous to walkers and say on your left/right. You definitely cannot expect to maintain a high speed average as the curves are real sharp and a walker, rider, or the occasional deer (couple of close calls) might be around the corner. There are plenty of remote places where no one really walks, but the scenery and views are GREAT. There is a lot of cool spots that you can stop and enjoy the views and really drink it in. The PATH goes to the Monastery in Rockdale which is cool because its almost like a trailside cafe and the monks didnt mind if I parked my bike inside as long as it wasnt dirty/wet, or would let me park it behind the shop. Its a great place for hill training because there are some NASTY hills with some real steep grades.

Just a tip, park in a well visited place. Not dinging the trail, but people park in some of the isolated parking lots around and partake in some illicit activity. Panola Mtn State Park, Arabia Heritage Parking lot, and/or the South River parking lot are pretty active. I wouldnt park at the Evans Mill or Flatrock Spur trailhead. Broken glass, prophylactics, and some left over blunts were there and increased as the years went by because they are pretty remote. Bring a cell phone in case you have a flat/accident/ect given that you can be easily 2/3 miles from "civilization"

I miss it now that I live in North Georgia.
Old 04-26-17, 06:28 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Gravel.Grinder
There is no such speed limit to my knowledge that is remotely enforceable and yes some police do patrol it
isolated parking lots around and partake in some illicit activity. I wouldnt park at the Evans Mill or Flatrock Spur trailhead. Broken glass, prophylactics, and some left over blunts were there and increased as the years went by because they are pretty remote.

I mean, aside from the speed limit signs posted everywhere...no....

Um, keep in mind WHERE this trail passes through. The whole section you are talking about is Pantersville/Evans/Lithonia. It's a complete ghetto up there, do you think demographics magically stop at the trailhead?
Old 04-26-17, 07:27 PM
Gravel.Grinder

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote

Um, keep in mind WHERE this trail passes through. The whole section you are talking about is Pantersville/Evans/Lithonia. It's a complete ghetto up there, do you think demographics magically stop at the trailhead?
I guess I havent really paid attention to the signs since I just knew my way around there, but enforce-ability is pretty hard to come by. DeKalb cops got too much to worry about that some cyclists on the trail. Be warned though that near Arabia Mountain High School and heading towards the heritage center the DeKalb Police gun range is right there and you will hear the sound of the 2A being expressed. You can also catch some AMHS kids skipping too ( I used to teach there so I know all their "hiding spots" )

Yes its the "ghetto" so to speak. I have seen worse. IMHO I felt more "vulnerable" on the SCT than at Arabia. Did catch two dudes making out and looking like they were about to get fresh with each other and the occasional students skipping from MLK High School. (I teach high school and reported their a$$ too. Rolled up into the school full lycra and all and told the secretary that they had some extra curricular activity going down in the woods)
Old 04-27-17, 07:11 AM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my google fu is weak, what is the posted speed limit? that determines what bike I bring, not going to bring the carbon Fuji if speed limit is 10mph.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Good info, want to revisit the trail?
Originally Posted by Gravel.Grinder
I have ridden it extensively. ...I miss it now that I live in North Georgia.

Last edited by xodondum; 04-27-17 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 09:00 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Looked for something official, but could only find this link which references "safe speeds" and to obey signage. It also discusses the fines, etc.

https://pathfoundation.org/trails/trail-etiquette/

This older link to the SCT references a "reduced to 10MPH" zone due to construction.

Chief Ladiga Trail & Silver Comet Trail Trail Maps, Businesses, Events, Mileage, and more

Which is also a PATH site.

Without a pic, going off memory I think the speed limit is 15MPH.

EDIT- After watching several fly through videos, I could see no evidence (for certain) of those speed limit signs I seem to be remembering there. None of the videos seem to resolve that well, so, my bad I guess.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 04-27-17 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 07:48 AM
Levmax60

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite ATL ride. 37 miles round trip. I park at the Stonecrest Library. No speed limits are enforced. Police And Ranger patrols are for public safety. The poster who referenced "ghetto" is pathetic. It is safe, hilly, curvy, and well paved. I rode it once with a rider who fell and was injured. The Rockdale County patrol was very helpful and on the spot within 10 minutes. Generally there are not a lot of people. It is under utilized to be sure. The monastery in Conyers, the southern point, is definitely worth a visit to see the banzai trees. Hope you have gone and enjoyed the ride.
Old 05-27-17, 09:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Levmax60
The poster who referenced "ghetto" is pathetic.

Pathetic the new word for calling a demographic what it is?

I have lived in the general area since I was born. I have watched what has happened, watched my neighborhood go to ****, property value drop to a point that it wasn't worth selling, crack dealers on corners, gunfire in the park next door all night, more. Before you "go there" reference some reading on what happened to Clayton County and the surrounding areas after the Atlanta Olympics as a result of "rehoming".

There are sections of all the trails in GA that go through both nice, and not nice areas. One of the main complaints about the beltline is that the increase in property values is pushing poorer demographic groups out since they can't afford to live there any more, and defeats the "affordable housing" aspect of the overall plan. This situation has not (yet) happened to all of the PMT/AMT/SCT areas.

Sorry that you felt you needed to insult me personally for calling the kettle....
Old 05-29-17, 03:07 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool, can I join ya 1 day?
Originally Posted by Levmax60
My favorite ATL ride. 37 miles round trip. I park at the Stonecrest Library. .
Old 05-29-17, 04:29 PM
Levmax60

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind if rider are you?

cool, can I join ya 1 day?
What is your average speed? What kind of bike do you ride? I ask because I am a solo road biker who averages 16-18. I am not a social rider generally.
Old 05-29-17, 04:40 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beginning road biker ;-) I only average 15mph so far. in general, I find I'm too busy trying to breathe / maintain cadence to carry any meaningful conversations.

Last edited by xodondum; 05-30-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-05-17, 12:57 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came across this review and thought it was relevant to this thread.

Arabia Mountain Trail

Car Break-Ins
May, 2017 by able88
After a pleasant day of biking and upon our return to parking at the Browns Mill Trailhead, we found that our vehicle back window had been smashed, along with another trail patron's car. Had to get repaired this week. Be careful! They need a security patrol and cameras at this site.

from here, under recent trail reviews:
https://www.traillink.com/stateactivity/ga-bike-trails/
Old 06-06-17, 06:13 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

I came across this review and thought it was relevant to this thread.

Arabia Mountain Trail

Car Break-Ins
May, 2017 by able88
After a pleasant day of biking and upon our return to parking at the Browns Mill Trailhead, we found that our vehicle back window had been smashed, along with another trail patron's car. Had to get repaired this week. Be careful! They need a security patrol and cameras at this site.

from here, under recent trail reviews:
https://www.traillink.com/stateactivity/ga-bike-trails/

Be aware that your new riding partner may think you are "pathetic" for pointing out reality....

The official parking spots for this site are park property and pay to park. Some of the unofficial parking areas are unattended. I prefer to park at Panola or down at Alexander Lake, really any of the attended, staffed park sites. Panola is a good place to see on it's own merit. Some of the unofficial spots are "cuts" in the side of the road near the trail, near bad neighborhoods and I am sure the little criminals love to see victims park there. Free stuff while you are off riding/walking, no doubt.

In all honesty, watch the ground in the areas you are in. When you start seeing the blunt wrappers and trash everywhere (which you will), keep your eyes open.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 06-06-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 09:05 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come here all the time. It is up and down, not flat ride like Silver Comet. Not many bicyclist on it. From Stonecrest Mall to the Monastery is 25 miles one way with up and down hills.
Old 06-09-17, 09:59 AM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's good to hear! I'm going tomorrow, early if you're interested.

Originally Posted by chong67
I come here all the time. It is up and down, not flat ride like Silver Comet. Not many bicyclist on it. From Stonecrest Mall to the Monastery is 25 miles one way with up and down hills.
Old 06-10-17, 04:35 PM
xodondum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode it today, I enjoyed it. it's the most climbs and descents I've ever done in 1 sitting. if it wasn't so far I would go more often.
Attached Images
Old 06-11-17, 06:45 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

^ Glad you had a good time. It's a beautiful place.