Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 11-13-17, 10:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've ridden with a relatively fast B group a few times since the summer. Nobody yelled at me. In fact a couple of folks hung back to chat with me when I pulled out of the pack to drop back and catch my breath.

I'm a bit disappointed. I have to go elsewhere for my abuse.
Old 11-14-17, 07:35 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I don't know, Abe. And if you read what was happening in this thread, you'd notice that a lot of people who were incensed by my post in the beginning came around to my way of thinking later. Dr. Pete is the best example. He did a complete 180. At some point, the thread became a gallery to watch people who had the same reaction as you did eventually agree with me.

I still remember that ride 11 years later, and I remember the guy who was doing the most damage. We tried to slow down and talk to him and ask him to leave the rotation, but he said it was a public park and that he could do what he wanted. While that's true, you wouldn't simply walk up to someone else picnic area, eat their food, and start kicking their campfire around? But basically, that's what he was doing. So we pulled him off the back and lost him.

As for the others who question, the 30mph comment:
I remember seeing 30 on my Garmin a lot. That's good enough for me. Even if our average was 27, it was still dangerous to have a knucklehead in the line.
In your OP you did not disclose that the rider whom was grabbed at speed and forcibly removed from the line was previously asked to leave. That changes things - a bit.

Regardless. I initially did not take issue with the entirety of your post. Some of your rules had varying degrees of value as tips/best practices in a paceline. My issues were:

The yelling
The physical removal of someone at speed
The comical repeated claim of “we’re not elitist”
Old 11-20-17, 01:17 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Riding in echelon and in a paceline are two different things. I'm not yelling.

I wholeheartedly agree, it does suck when inexperienced riders muck up the works, but as long as we train on public roads, we can't stop them from joining. I come from a time when, if you were on a road bike, you were a racer and you knew what to do. Times are changing. The best bet is to teach them. Some people learn by be yelled at, and some don't respond as well. Good job laying out some guidelines for new guys on this forum, but you need to teach the guys out on the ride. Like it or not, they're part of our community now. The more we fight 'em, the more dangerous it is for all of us.

Don't ever put your hands on anybody over a bike ride.

To you new guys who may be mucking up the works......ask about what you don't understand.

Last edited by pickettt; 11-20-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 08:38 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
but you need to teach the guys out on the ride.
Nope, not on every ride. I contend that not every ride needs to be instructional. If you jump into a group ride on a Tuesday with a bunch of strangers and find yourself over your head, you can expect to get yelled at. The ride shouldn't have to slow down and give you lessons.

At what point can a group just ride fast without having to give lessons to any new rider that jumps in uninvited?
Old 11-21-17, 09:33 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Nope, not on every ride. I contend that not every ride needs to be instructional. If you jump into a group ride on a Tuesday with a bunch of strangers and find yourself over your head, you can expect to get yelled at. The ride shouldn't have to slow down and give you lessons.

At what point can a group just ride fast without having to give lessons to any new rider that jumps in uninvited?
When it is a private ride.
Old 11-21-17, 10:02 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
When it is a private ride.
So just by showing up, you create some kind of burden on everyone else to coddle and accommodate you?

Srsly?
Old 11-21-17, 11:01 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Don't get me wrong, I've been racing bikes as long as I can remember. Although I said it, I didn't mean you HAVE to do anything to accommodate them. I don't like this new generation of, "I paid my $5000 for a bike and ta da now I'm a cyclist" either. But they're here. You can make it better, or you can make it worse. Furthermore, at the end of the day, public streets are not yours to invite people to. If you don't have an event permit and are on a closed course, you haven't got a leg to stand on. They don't need your permission. So, like I said, make it better or make it worse. Incidentally, on a few occasions, I've almost been crashed out by fast experienced guys whilst they were yelling at Freds. Good luck out there.

Last edited by pickettt; 11-21-17 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 02:17 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by type36
I wouldn't worry until he comes in the house and grabs you by the jersey.
I'd yell at a guy wearing a cycling jersey on an indoor trainer.
Old 01-05-18, 05:29 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
In memory of botto I am giving this a bump.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-18, 06:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I always wear a jersey on the trainer. It would feel weird not to.
Old 01-05-18, 08:49 PM
nycphotography
NYC

I always start off with a jersey on, thinking this time it'll be different. Unless it really is a true endurance session, 15 minutes in I have it tossed aside.
Old 01-06-18, 12:54 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Hpw about a helmet?
Old 01-06-18, 01:23 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Hpw about a helmet?
He's getting yelled at too.
Old 03-01-18, 07:34 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
In honor of yet another close call of having to hang out with @EventServices this weekend i got to thinking about this thread. Great lessons here. At least early on.

BTW - ES has yet another book coming out here soon. Worth a look IMHO

Old 03-01-18, 09:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In honor of yet another close call of having to hang out with @EventServices this weekend i got to thinking about this thread. Great lessons here. At least early on.

People are so busy being butthurt, they refuse to actually absorb what this thread is saying. At least later on.
Old 03-02-18, 04:48 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't get me wrong, I've been racing bikes as long as I can remember. Although I said it, I didn't mean you HAVE to do anything to accommodate them. I don't like this new generation of, "I paid my $5000 for a bike and ta da now I'm a cyclist" either. But they're here. You can make it better, or you can make it worse. Furthermore, at the end of the day, public streets are not yours to invite people to. If you don't have an event permit and are on a closed course, you haven't got a leg to stand on. They don't need your permission. So, like I said, make it better or make it worse. Incidentally, on a few occasions, I've almost been crashed out by fast experienced guys whilst they were yelling at Freds. Good luck out there.
Hear, hear!
Old 03-02-18, 08:54 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Nice! I have really enjoyed his other books. ...And this thread. It still delivers!
Old 03-02-18, 09:05 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Au contraire mon frère, their leg to stand on is their right to yell at you! You do not have a "right" to join them any more than you have a "right" to get in my car...

So, be respectful, get a clue, and don't get butt hurt if you get yelled at. Learn from it--there was probably a legitimate reason for it.
Old 03-02-18, 09:06 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
at the end of the day, public streets are not yours to invite people to. If you don't have an event permit and aren't on a closed course, you haven't got a leg to stand on. They don't need your permission.

If I don't want strangers to join my group rides I've taken to telling them "sorry, this is a closed ride and my cycling club's insurance policy doesn't allow non-members to participate." Most folks freak out as soon as they hear the word "insurance" and back off. I've never had anybody challenge this and insist the streets are public and that they have a right to ride in my paceline.

I should probably mention that I use this tactic regardless of whether it actually is a club ride or not.

I'll also mention that I tell them this in a calm, quiet voice. No yelling.

...but we're going to. Soon.
Old 03-02-18, 11:13 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably a big difference between yelling "Not safe!" vs. yelling "Moron!"
Old 03-02-18, 02:08 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Probably a big difference between yelling "Not safe!" vs. yelling "Moron!"
Probably a much smaller difference than you imagine.
Old 03-02-18, 03:18 PM
pickettt

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Au contraire mon frère, their leg to stand on is their right to yell at you! You do not have a "right" to join them any more than you have a "right" to get in my car...

So, be respectful, get a clue, and don't get butt hurt if you get yelled at. Learn from it--there was probably a legitimate reason for it.

Nonsense. If you can't differentiate between your property and public roads, it does no good to have this conversation. That being said, I get it, there are guys I don't like on rides either, but there's still nothing you can rightfully do about it.
Old 03-02-18, 03:19 PM
pickettt

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
If I don't want strangers to join my group rides I've taken to telling them "sorry, this is a closed ride and my cycling club's insurance policy doesn't allow non-members to participate." Most folks freak out as soon as they hear the word "insurance" and back off. I've never had anybody challenge this and insist the streets are public and that they have a right to ride in my paceline.

I should probably mention that I use this tactic regardless of whether it actually is a club ride or not.

I'll also mention that I tell them this in a calm, quiet voice. No yelling.

...but we're going to. Soon.

So your tactic is to hope they believe your misinformation?
Old 03-02-18, 05:02 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nonsense. If you can't differentiate between your property and public roads, it does no good to have this conversation. That being said, I get it, there are guys I don't like on rides either, but there's still nothing you can rightfully do about it.
See, this is where we cross paths with the "tailgating is unsafe and illegal" contingent. Yes, they have a right to ride in the same road in reasonable proximity, but they don't have a right to wheelsuck or insinuate themselves into a paceline uninvited.
Old 03-02-18, 05:46 PM
pickettt

Originally Posted by kbarch
See, this is where we cross paths with the "tailgating is unsafe and illegal" contingent. Yes, they have a right to ride in the same road in reasonable proximity, but they don't have a right to wheelsuck or insinuate themselves into a paceline uninvited.
So then, if while driving, you're being tailgated and the offender is pulled over, you can say, "Officer, it's okay, this person has been invited to tailgate, but that one doesn't." You think it works that way? By that rationale, pacelines on public roads should be prohibited.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are guys that i do not appreciate being on group rides, but you have no recourse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.