Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as too good of a bike?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-06-18, 04:08 PM
jbert240

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm currently retired (65) and looking for a comfortable road bike and would like to get some recommendations as far as frame material and group set. I'm not new to cycling and have owned several bikes, but the last bike I bought was in 1995 which is a Bridgestone XO3 which I still ride. The sheer number of options today is really overwhelming, but I know I want a road bike. I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. The LBS and some buddies are advising me to get a carbon frame and no lower than the Shimano 105 group set (22 speed) which seems like over kill to me. I rode a Giant Contend 1 yesterday which has aluminum frame and Shimano Sora group set which seems really comfortable and shifted quite well. I will test drive some more bikes this week, but all of this makes me wonder if anybody ever regretted getting to good of a bike that they really didn't need.
Old 08-06-18, 04:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
No, but if you wind up being afraid to ride it for fear of it being damaged or stolen or something, that could be problematic.

Good equipment is never a waste. If anything, knowing that you aren't limited by your equipment can make you focus on improvement (riding up grades, rather than buying upgrades). If it is a question of limited disposable income (which most of us have as a limit), then figuring out what gives you best bang for the buck is key. (105 is a pretty good cost/benefit trade-off. It pretty much gives you everything the higher-end groups like Ultegra etc would provide, but maybe a few more grams).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-06-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 04:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Buy the bike that fits and is most comfortable for your style of riding. And buy from a shop that you like. Everything else is just details.
Old 08-06-18, 04:40 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
I'm wondering why you're wanting to replace the XO-3, which is quite a nice bike. Unless you are in love with the convenience of brake-mounted shifters, perhaps the XO-3 just needs some maintenance. Given that there are no mountains where you live, reducing bike weight is not going to give you any advantages unless you are wanting to win sprints, and a carbon bike will be more fragile than anything made of metal. IMHO weight is irrelevant to non-racers; your only real concerns should be fit and overall quality/durability of components.

Full disclosure: I got rid of my modern bikes some time ago and now solely ride vintage steeds (and frequently beat my friends on their carbon bikes, even when riding our west coast mountains). I guess you cold call me a retrogrouch.
Old 08-06-18, 04:51 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jbert240
I'm currently retired (65) and looking for a comfortable road bike and would like to get some recommendations as far as frame material and group set. I'm not new to cycling and have owned several bikes, but the last bike I bought was in 1995 which is a Bridgestone XO3 which I still ride. The sheer number of options today is really overwhelming, but I know I want a road bike. I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. The LBS and some buddies are advising me to get a carbon frame and no lower than the Shimano 105 group set (22 speed) which seems like over kill to me.
Its only overkill if you don't ride it. Or if you already know the limit to the level of cycling you will do. For example, if you're absolutely sure you're never going to ride further than 10 miles, or ride harder than a leisurely cruise, then yes, it is overkill.
I rode a Giant Contend 1 yesterday which has aluminum frame and Shimano Sora group set which seems really comfortable and shifted quite well. I will test drive some more bikes this week, but all of this makes me wonder if anybody ever regretted getting to good of a bike that they really didn't need.
If you can't tell the difference between the two bikes then the cheaper one is probably all you need. Just keep in mind that some bikes ride great when they're new but tend to wear out fast overtime. That's where the chasm of difference applies when comparing a quality bike to a Walmart bike.

Also, a better bike than you need -- like the one recommended above -- is a bike you can grow into rather than grow out of. You might be surprised how quickly cycling can grow on you. Therefore, it may be to your advantage to consider future proofing, to coin a computer motto, your bike purchase. Always keep that in mind. One more thing, you need a budget.
Old 08-06-18, 06:39 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,459 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Buy the bike that fits and is most comfortable for your style of riding. And buy from a shop that you like. Everything else is just details.
Words of wisdom.
Emphasis added by me. If you do eventually decide to upgrade either components or the entire bike a good bike shop is a valuable resource.
Sora is fine quality for the type of riding you describe.
Yes, if you find yourself doing longer and more challenging rides you may want to upgrade, but if you become a bike fetishist like many of us who ride a lot, then you may want to upgrade the 105 bike also.
Brent
Old 08-06-18, 07:51 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yep, sage advice to be sure.

I was in your exact situation a few years back and did precisely what's been recommended. I had an idea of what I wanted, went to a few shops and wound up buying a bike from the shop that seemed to the most interested in my business, and appeared to be happy selling me what I wanted and what was within my budget. I wound up with an aluminum bike with claris on it. Not much more entry level than that. I rode that bike like I stole it for 5 years and the only upgrade I made was changing the shifters to get rid of the thumb buttons. I've gotten a new bike since then, but I still ride that bike at times.
Old 08-06-18, 10:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I like to get the best hardware i can afford. Upgrading Always costs more than buying it as a package( except in the most extreme cases (bikes in the $10-$15 K range.))

Sora is good stuff .... 105 might be a little smoother. But in your case .... if I were you, I can't say what I might do. if you ever want to go on a cycling vacation which might involve some hills, suddenly extra gears might make a difference. or, if someday you hit a Really serious headwind .... hitting just the right ratio can make riding in a stiff wind a little more pleasant.

Otherwise, try a 1x11 setup. Buy a cheap single-speed for variety. if you have a solid budget and you don't need anything special .... buy a solid bike with Sora a and a cheap single-speed. Try to rent a recumbent trike---you never know.

Another thing you might try is riding a bunch of bikes. If any one really sings to you ....

Carbon frames Can be a supple as the springiest steel or stiffer than stiff .... the only two things they are are a little more fragile and a little lighter. But ... not really more fragile unless you crash at ridiculous speed or get hit by a car, which would put a hurting on any frame ... and not necessarily lighter than good aluminum, if it is cheap carbon.

Also .... and sorry to be negative ... but this "Find a shop and buy their bike" stuff is All wrong.

First off, from what i hear, unless you are buying a $15K bike, the shop makes a lot more money on accessories and service than sales.

Even so ... you can change shops at will, but once you bought that bike ... it depreciates by a third the instant you swipe your credit card.

A shop worth frequenting will work on your bike even if you bought it from the competition ... but if you buy a bike you kind of like as a favor to the shop, and always wish you had bought a different bike, no one really wins.

Ride two dozen bikes .... why not? See what you like.

I know if i could only keep one bike it would probably be a CF, lightweight, Ultegra-equipped sort-of-racy bike, even though I am slower than a dead snail. I would be really hard-pressed to choose between that and my 105/Ultegra equipped CF endurance frame, which weighs about the same and is a little more comfortable on long rides (both weigh about 22 pounds, ready to ride---- tons of tools, tubes, pump, food, two full water bottles, lights and phone/computer... around 16.5 naked.)

Too good for me? For Sure! I will never stress either of them near their maximum performance limits. And I do dearly enjoy riding my other bikes, two which are 35 years old, and one which cost around $500 (though I have done considerable upgrade.) But if I had to choose ... why not a bike which is so light it feels like something is wrong when I pick it up after lifting one of my metal bikes .... and which has faultless, lightweight components? Too good for what?

Does every person who buys a Porsche have to take it to track days?

One other thing .... no bike will make you faster---that's the motor. So you need to decide what you like and don't like about your Bridgestone, and what you would want to improve.

Me, i'd slap a modern drivetrain on there with brifters, and add that puppy to my stable. I saw a few pics online---sweet-looking. I might even stay with moustache bars and just move up to modern thumb-shifters. If the bike rides well, keep it around.

But looking at the Bridgestone ... what do you like about it and what don't you?Look for a bike which does the good stuff better without the bad stuff? i don't know.

If you want a bike which is comfortable to ride quickly the Defy/Contend line is excellent---I checked it out when I was shopping for endurance frames. Fuji's Sportif/ Grand Fondo line is also good---both (IMO) offer good value for a good price.

But don't hesitate to treat yourself.

Never in my life have I Ever thought, "I wish this bike weren't so good." Not ever.

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-06-18 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 05:28 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Needs versus wants: a hamburger steak or a rib eye? Which would you or your guests rather have on a special occasion?
Old 08-07-18, 06:01 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Pretty much. Let me add one opinion. An AL frame may be your best bang for the buck. Cheaper than CF and will allow higher end components for a similar price.
Old 08-07-18, 06:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Sounds like you will regret spending more on a bike than you need to, so don't.
Old 08-07-18, 06:17 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. .
Sounds familiar. Keep in mind though, when in retirement with more time and freedom to travel, you may well want to take your bike along. You may be glad you have a wider range of gears for whatever terrain you my be visiting.
Old 08-07-18, 06:41 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I'm currently retired (65) and looking for a comfortable road bike and would like to get some recommendations as far as frame material and group set. I'm not new to cycling and have owned several bikes, but the last bike I bought was in 1995 which is a Bridgestone XO3 which I still ride. The sheer number of options today is really overwhelming, but I know I want a road bike. I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. The LBS and some buddies are advising me to get a carbon frame and no lower than the Shimano 105 group set (22 speed) which seems like over kill to me. I rode a Giant Contend 1 yesterday which has aluminum frame and Shimano Sora group set which seems really comfortable and shifted quite well. I will test drive some more bikes this week, but all of this makes me wonder if anybody ever regretted getting to good of a bike that they really didn't need.
You obviously have the $ to get whatever bike you want. Shimano 105 at a minimum IMO carbon fiber has pros and cons. My better bikes are aluminum framed with carbon fiber parts such as handlebars and forks. I have a torque wrench especially when servicing the carbon fiber. I end up modifying almost every bike I’ve had over the years so buying the higher end bike would have been better in the first place. Buy that Bad A bike with no regrets.

Old 08-07-18, 08:11 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
No.

Old 08-07-18, 08:47 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Sounds like oversell to me. Too good of a bike, no, but there is sure such a thing as a bike exceeding the needs of the rider. EX: one of the employees at a local bike shop was trying to sell me a new bike. What he didn't know was that my old bike, which is more than fine for my needs, had been seen by one of their bike techs, who advised me to "never get rid of that bike". It's a well-maintained '06 Lemond Reno, 3x9, Tiagra/105 drivetrain. Only thing it's ever needed was a new front derailleur. And brake pads, but they all need that eventually. You can guess which employee I trust more, and the one I look for if visiting that shop.
Old 08-07-18, 09:01 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
No.
Old 08-07-18, 09:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Comfortable road bike could be a artisanal steel bike as well.. made by an individual ..

or in small batches ... Ala: RBW

You ride for 6 hours at a time, when with your riding buddies??

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-07-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-07-18, 10:36 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
My $0.02 is first determine what kind of riding you are going to do and how many miles etc. Then decide on a budget. Without defining some of your own goals you'll go nuts trying to test ride every bike out there.

Once that is done then go out for a few test rides so see what is the most comfortable bike fit wise. Then get the opinion of others here on the forum. Buy one component group set up for future growth.
Old 08-07-18, 11:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Personally, I have never regretted buying too nice of a bike. My attitude is to buy the nicest bike you can reasonably afford and then ride the hell out of it until you make yourself worthy of it.
Old 08-07-18, 12:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
My $0.02 is first determine what kind of riding you are going to do and how many miles etc. Then decide on a budget. Without defining some of your own goals you'll go nuts trying to test ride every bike out there.
Bike is a tool. Decide on the job and then you know what the best tool might be.

But also ... as has been said, you might find yourself in Utah or Arizona or Michigan or New Hampshire in a couple years, trying to ride a bike not suited to your vacation destination.

And seriously .... don't get rid of the Bridgestone. Consider a cheap single-speed just for variety (you can get a decent SS for a couple-few hundred and it has no parts to break or upgrade.) Consider a recumbent.

if your plan is to ride whenever and wherever you feel like it ... some days you might want to work hard, and other days, be lazy. Some days you might feel like an ten-mile explosion, and the next day a gentle 50-mile unwinding. You might decide you'd like to be able to take trips to the store on your bike---and want racks and bags on that Bridgestone.

And don't let the cheap folks undersell you.

I can fully understand both sides of the debate. On one hand, if you never go fast and never climb hills, you could get a three-speed IGH that weighed a ton, and it wouldn't matter. And some folks would recommend that. Some folks think every penny you spend that you could avoid spending is a huge waste, and some folks think every bit of capacity you don't use on every ride is wasted capacity.

And that is cool. When I built my CF endurance frame, i went with 105 even though i could afford Ultegra. I figured 105 was good enough (based on experience.) But I'd never downgrade my Ultegra bike (went with Ultegra R Der on the Endurance frame, in fact) because it is a tiny bit smoother and easier to operate, it seems to me.

On the other hand ... I could get by with a single bike. And because I am not a pro racer, i could get by with pretty much Any bike. But I get So much joy out of my CF builds .... and I enjoy my two '80s bikes, and my rain/cargo bike, and my cheap grocery-getter. I would give up a couple .... and trade them for a Lynskey Disc Sportive ... but I don't ever plan not to have several bikes, and All of them, even the $500 Bikes Direct bike, are better than I really need.

A my age, i figure i have a limitied number of years left, and while i don't want to blow all my money tomorrow, I don't have any desire to die rich ... I intend to enjoy every penny of the fruits of my labors.

Treat yourself if you like. You really cannot buy Too Much bike. And frankly very few of us here actually use 100 percent of our bikes' abilities on every ride anyway ..... As Mr. Petty says, "You don't have to live like a refugee," in order to follow Sting's observation, "You can live here and be happy with less."

When you think about that, consider that Sting lives in alike a 200-room (not a typo---two-hundred rooms) palace and has like eight kids.

Only you know what is "enough" or "too little" or "too much."

I have a bike which any Pro-Continental racer could ride in competition with only a few small changes to drop a few ounces. And every time I take it off the rack to ride it, joy surges through me. It is Not "too much."

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-07-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 12:45 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Other than the initial pain in my bank account, I've never regretted buying quality.

I've frequently regretted buying cheap/bargain stuff. Usually ends up costing me as much or more than if I would've spent more initially, because I have to replace and/or upgrade.
Old 08-07-18, 12:53 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I don't think anyone would be un happy purchasing the best, most modern, bike they can afford, I did with the fear that if I bought a cheap rig
that in a yr or two I would be unhappy with it, and then have to buy another bike that is better,
if you buy the cheap one, there will always be a thought in your head that the reason you are not improving, is because of the poor equipment
if you go right to the top, you can forget those thoughts, and realize that the problem is just you, and you can improve enough, to hopefully someday
match your top of the line equipment.
I am about a quarter of the way there LOL, but there is no thought of anything but me limiting the performance
Old 08-07-18, 02:29 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
You will only regret your purchase if it is not good enough. 105 group at a minimum and If you dont have to lift it onto the roof rack, get nice steel or aluminum.
New bikes are fun.
Old 08-07-18, 02:34 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Well, yes, there is, but only for people who are being snarky and judgmental about coffee shop cyclists and leisure riders on $7000 Pinarellos.

Anyway, Delaware is flat alright, you could have a very nice single speed and forget all the stuff about groupset, diskbrakes, carbon, etc.
Old 08-07-18, 08:26 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Most folks have a better bike than they need and a worse bike than they want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.