Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe for everyday clyde use?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 05:21 AM
flippin_bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new bike and the only thing that leaves me wanting is the stock wheelset, mainly because of the rear hub being pretty funky in its engagement. It is sort of a letdown for a bike that retails for $1800. Its a decent enough training type wheelset, but I always have lusted after light parts and never could justify it due to my weight. I am now down to 210 lbs and hoping to drop another 20-25, but that is getting increasingly difficult and the progress has slowed significantly, so I expect it might take a little longer for me to get under the 200 lb mark.

I was messing around online and found a set of the previous version (not the 2011 version) of the Ksyrium Equipe wheels for what I consider to be an incredibly good deal. The question is whether I am asking for it riding these at my current weight. I am not really wanting to switch between two wheelset, but would keep the stockers as a back-up. Will the Mavics hold up to some abuse or are they made for the featherweights?
Old 08-16-11, 08:40 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
They'll hold up under 210 pounds just fine. I've got a pal who tips in at 235 and rides the SL version on his full-CF, weighs-less-than-a-fart bike and he's never had an issue with them, even through some very rough roads and routine standing hammerfest hill climbs up 20 mile mountain passes.

I wouldn't hesitate to ride them every day from a durability standpoint, but they'd have to be a screamin' deal for me to consider them daily wheels from a cost perspective. The comparison I'm going against is my current daily rider wheels which cost me $100 for all the parts.
Old 08-16-11, 09:22 AM
flippin_bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$255 plus tax seems pretty screamin' to me. I have always been reticent of low spoke count wheels, particularly with proprietary spokes and the need for special tools to adjust bearings and spokes. My other thought was to build up a set of Mavic Open Pros laced to 105 hubs w/ alloy nips and DT Comp spokes. I found one retailer selling this setup for $325. I know I could buy the parts for less, but my truing stand is substandard for a fresh build. Perhaps that's the excuse I need to buy a Park pro truing stand and spoke tension gauge.
Old 08-18-11, 01:13 PM
IAmCosmo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Up until recently I've been a big fan of Mavics. A couple months ago a guy brought a set of Mavics back into the shop because he broke a spoke. I don't know the model, but he bought them 4 years ago and paid "well over $1000" for them.

The shop called Mavic, and Mavic said "we don't support that wheel any more". So they didn't have any spokes, didn't offer to fix it or replace the wheel, or anything. Basically the guy bought a wheel, broke a spoke, and is stuck with a broken wheel. Sure, he can call around and check on the internet and see if anyone has a spoke sitting around, but he shouldn't have to. It's not like it's a 30 year old hand built wheel or something. I'm sure Mavic sold thousands of sets of these wheels, so there is no reason to no longer "support" them.

I'm in the process of getting rid of my three sets of Mavics right now...
Old 08-18-11, 03:30 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flippin_bikes
$255 plus tax seems pretty screamin' to me. I have always been reticent of low spoke count wheels, particularly with proprietary spokes and the need for special tools to adjust bearings and spokes. My other thought was to build up a set of Mavic Open Pros laced to 105 hubs w/ alloy nips and DT Comp spokes. I found one retailer selling this setup for $325. I know I could buy the parts for less, but my truing stand is substandard for a fresh build. Perhaps that's the excuse I need to buy a Park pro truing stand and spoke tension gauge.
That is a great price, and from what I know they still support this wheelset. However, the OP/Ultegra setup will be less expensive for non-proprietary parts, and your "substandard" truing stand is probably just fine. I use a Minoura Pro ($50 low-end) stand for clean builds. The real key is having a tension gauge and dishing tool. (IMO)