Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Need Some help with sizing... Please

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Need Some help with sizing... Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 09:02 AM
Dominicanyorkjl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help with sizing

Hey guys, I am a 29 y/o male who is looking to start cycling. Im looking to purchase a bike in the near future but I would like to have a good fitting bike. After tinkering with the fit calculator I have been unable to figure out if I'm a small or medium. I have read that its better to have a smaller bike than a larger bike but I am unsure with the numbers below. Unfortunately it seems I have longer legs than typical it seems and have a short trunk. Can the more experienced guide me. Below are the two bikes that I am looking to purchase. Both are Lynskey. Thank you

I am 5'6"
Actual Inseam:80cm
Trunk:57cm
Forearm:34cm
Arm:66cm
Thigh:61cm
Lower Leg:52Cm
Sternal Notch:139cm
Total Height:168.5cm

R240 Frame

Sportive:

Last edited by Dominicanyorkjl; 09-02-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 08:00 AM
Dominicanyorkjl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyone kind enough to help an aspiring cyclist?
Old 09-03-16, 10:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Which fit calculator? Did you try Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist
varying which type of road fit?

What were the results? What is your highest and best use for the bike?
Old 09-03-16, 11:04 AM
Dominicanyorkjl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Which fit calculator? Did you try Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist
varying which type of road fit?

What were the results? What is your highest and best use for the bike?
Yes carbon, that was the calculator I used.
The results were:
Top tube length: 52.2-52.6
Seat tube cc: 53-53.5
Seat tube ct: 54.6-55.1

I would like to have an eddy fit bike or endurance bike.
Old 09-03-16, 08:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Start cycling? On a $2K titanium frameset? What component gruppo do you hang on a $2K frame? Certainly not Claris or Tiagra. I cannot see getting angst over two frames that differ by less than an inch in any dimension that matters. Yes, the conventional wisdom is that a smaller frame weighs less and is easier to throw around... so... I guess you could do worse than go with that. At worst you might need a 10mm or 20mm longer stem.

Me, I like the look of a larger frame, and when I can I get the biggest one that I can stand over. I have 80mm stems on a couple of my larger road frames, that is on the short side for a stem, and the conventional wisdom there says stems that short make for handling that is "twitchy". I don't know. I just can't imagine that 10mm makes that much difference.
Old 09-08-16, 12:48 PM
NickFit0036

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most important measurement will be the effective top tube length. Everything else can be greatly adjusted to get the fit right. Just about everyone can fit on TWO sizes of bike. It looks like in that Sportive, you would be on the Small if you prefer the neutral riding position that it offers. If you want the neutral riding position (not aggressive I mean. Saddle maybe a few cm higher than bar), on the R frame, you may need to go with the medium. If you are a new rider, I would assume you aren't looking for too aggressive of a position. If you want the neutral position, it would be the small Sportive or the Medium R possibly with maybe a little shorter than normal. If you want the aggressive position, it would be Small in both sizes. You would probably just run no headset spacers and tilt the stem down on the Sportive which looks cool.

Yes, I am a certified fitter. More info on that is below.
Bought A Bike Online? I Come To You Build & Fit It. Road Mountain Tri
Old 09-12-16, 06:37 AM
Dominicanyorkjl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickFit0036
The most important measurement will be the effective top tube length. Everything else can be greatly adjusted to get the fit right. Just about everyone can fit on TWO sizes of bike. It looks like in that Sportive, you would be on the Small if you prefer the neutral riding position that it offers. If you want the neutral riding position (not aggressive I mean. Saddle maybe a few cm higher than bar), on the R frame, you may need to go with the medium. If you are a new rider, I would assume you aren't looking for too aggressive of a position. If you want the neutral position, it would be the small Sportive or the Medium R possibly with maybe a little shorter than normal. If you want the aggressive position, it would be Small in both sizes. You would probably just run no headset spacers and tilt the stem down on the Sportive which looks cool.

Yes, I am a certified fitter. More info on that is below.
Bought A Bike Online? I Come To You Build & Fit It. Road Mountain Tri
Hey Nick thank you for the response. This is what i was looking for. I guess the small sportive it is. The reason I was confused with the fit and ultimately leaning toward the medium sportive was the recommendation from the competitive cycles bike fit calculator which stated I needed a top tube length of 52.2-52.6.