Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Craigslist Scam

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Craigslist Scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 07:44 AM
AdrianL

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist Scam

I have a bike on the local New Orleans Craigslist and received this email last night.

"Hello Seller,

I am actually buying this product for myself and i will handle the shipping myself so no worries as i am going to be responsible for the shipping bills which i will add extra $1000 for the shipping bill for you. This product is going to be picked up by my agent after i have made the full payment via PayPal, why am using PayPal is because they are the most fastest and well secured for online transaction. All i will need is your PayPal account email so that i can remit the funds into your account as soon as you email me your agreement to this process. If you don't have PayPal account, kindly log in to www.paypal.com and have your new PayPal account set up with them now. I will need more pictures of this product in your next mail as i wont be able to come and check out this product. I reside in United Kingdom (UK) but i get fascinated by products from abroad because it costs some fortunes here and hope we have a deal.

Your fast response will be greatly appreciated and you can add me on messenger at: pface0831@yahoo.com.

Thanks. "

It has to be a scam but I'm not quite sure how it works since they are using PayPal. The first "sentence" is a give away.

Any ideas how this one works?
Old 11-24-09, 07:53 AM
sd790

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://reviews.ebay.com/Watch-out-fo...00000002240523
Old 11-24-09, 08:09 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Great link.
Old 11-24-09, 08:24 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I get those emails all the time. That's what the delete button is for.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-24-09, 08:35 AM
AdrianL

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sd790 - thanks for the link. That explains how it works. I had never heard of an "unconfirmed address" before. I wonder exactly how an address is "confirmed". Probably if it is on the USPS mail deliver system.

RonH - absolutely - that is what the delete button is for. I just find it interesting how these scams work and hope nobody falls for them although I suspect some people do otherwise they would not be going one. Sad that some people are like that.
Old 11-24-09, 10:55 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a similar scam going through craigslist where they offer to send you a certified check - but the check that they send is made out in the wrong amount - over by some. They will ask you to mail them a check for the difference, and that they will be sending someone over to pick up the merchandise. The check that you receive is a good enough forgery for your bank to accept it, but after about 2 weeks, your bank will realize that it is a fake and take the money out of your account, so you are out however much they 'overpaid' you, and nobody comes to pick up the merchandise.
Old 11-24-09, 10:14 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdrianL
sI just find it interesting how these scams work and hope nobody falls for them although I suspect some people do otherwise they would not be going one. Sad that some people are like that.
They can post the same thing to a thousand listings and if one works, their time is worth it. That's how scams work - spread it around and it only has to work a few times to make real money.
Old 11-24-09, 10:23 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sold an RV through Craigslist. I would only accept cash and had a bank verify the cash was legit and not counterfeit before accepting it and turning over the RV, title and keys to the buyer. Cashier's checks can be forged easily now so they're no guarantee. I was amazed at how many scammers reply to Craigslist postings. It would be nice if an affordable escrow service existed for smaller, private, online sales. I think legitimate buyers and sellers would pay a reasonable fee to use such a service.
Old 11-25-09, 07:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
They can post the same thing to a thousand listings and if one works, their time is worth it. That's how scams work - spread it around and it only has to work a few times to make real money.
"Hello seller... I'm actually buying this product for myself..."

I love that he doesn't even bother to edit the post to mention what the "product" is.
Old 11-25-09, 10:05 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
News Flash - there are scams on CL!

I listed a free bike on CL, good beater for a college student, and some guy called and wanted me to deliver it to him. There are just as may nuts on the buyer side of CL as the seller side.
Old 11-26-09, 07:04 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Call me an old grouch, but it seems that there an awful lot of scams and stolen goods on craig's list, and Ebay. "the world's biggest yardsale"? Uh, how about "The world's biggest fencing operation"?
Old 11-26-09, 09:31 PM
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Call me an old grouch, but it seems that there an awful lot of scams and stolen goods on craig's list, and Ebay. "the world's biggest yardsale"? Uh, how about "The world's biggest fencing operation"?
I've had several things listed on craigslist recently, and had the scammers reply to every single one. Even the free item! They use the "I'm out of town but I will have my assistant deliver the cashier's check with a little extra added for your trouble in holding the product til I get back" version.

I have bought things on ebay--but always wonder if they were stolen or are counterfeit. I am convinced that the Adidas shoes were counterfeit -- they did not feel at all like my previous pair.
Old 11-27-09, 02:50 AM
giaoster

Bikes: 2008 Marin Muirwoods. 41 lbs Costco Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paypal address is "confirmed" when your name and shipping address match with the billing address of your funding credit card or bank account in your paypal account.

-G
Old 04-10-18, 02:05 PM
Wolfmanz80

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts asking to work on bikes

Beware, new postings on CL asking for help working on motorcycle and dirt bikes. It's a scam to get ahold of your identification. They say they need to see it before they will let you come to thier house to work on it. They ask for a snapshot or a copy via email attachment. I asked why would they need it and they said they wouldn't be home and would just leave the payment outside with the bike...lol..yeah I bet!!!
Old 04-10-18, 08:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfmanz80
Beware, new postings on CL asking for help working on motorcycle and dirt bikes. It's a scam to get ahold of your identification. They say they need to see it before they will let you come to thier house to work on it. They ask for a snapshot or a copy via email attachment. I asked why would they need it and they said they wouldn't be home and would just leave the payment outside with the bike...lol..yeah I bet!!!
This might have worked better as a new thread instead of on a nine-years-asleep Zombie Thread. Except that Bike Forums is a bicycling forum and not very many of us have motorcycles or repair skills for them. Some do, but most don't.
But good advice to beware of scammers.