Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pie Ride (anyone still remember?)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-18, 08:15 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I never see anything about this old BF50+ tradition anymore, but since someone local reminded me that today was the 3rd Saturday of September which used to be celebrated here as International Pie Ride Day, I made a quick run during halftime of the football game I was watching to ride to the neighborhood store and see what pie I could find. Mrs. Freshley's fried cherry pie is not up to the old standards, but heated up in the oven and topped with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt, it wasn't half bad. Just for fun I made the ride come out to 3.14 miles to make it a pi ride for pie. Also gave me a chance to try out the new midfat wheels and tires I just finished building and installing on my drop bar MTB.

Pie001 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Pie003 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 09-15-18, 09:20 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
In Dover Delaware we have a September ride called The Amish Country Bike Tour. Varying distances so it satisfies all levels of riders. The big highlight is that Amish women run one or more rest stops serving home made pies. Good variety and great tasting.
Old 09-16-18, 04:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I never see anything about this old BF50+ tradition anymore, but since someone local reminded me that today was the 3rd Saturday of September which used to be celebrated here as International Pie Ride Day
Hi @BluesDawg,

I never participated in Pie Day when it was celebrated, but was made aware when I joined BikeForums in 2008. FYA, there was this thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum in 2016, '50+ the way that it used to be":
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always.

It was it's own place. Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did.

Know what? 50+ is coming back. The nay-sayers have drifted away and 50+ is ever so slowly returning to the way that it used to be. I like that.

I still miss Denver and the Deege.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts
Speaking of the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, BD:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
BD was a great riding and weekend companion. I have read his posts over the years and knew he was certainly an enthusiast. Turns out he is a part time bike mechanic, and his custom made bike was photographed by one of the Bicycle Times representatives at a rest stop.

Later that night he held forth on bike design at our après-cycle party at the Kenton’s.
Here is a picture of me and my Zukas custom bike taken by the Bicycle Times online editor who was manning the 2nd rest stop at 40 miles.

Feel free to be one of the few people who have seen this picture and not commented about how the tree behind me looks like long curly hair.
That's Jim's bike on the left.
"Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-16-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 06:11 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Love the pie rides!!! The Ms Freshley cherry pie is great the way you prepared it. I wonder how many of those I’ve eaten over the years. A cherry pie was a daily treat in college.

The dogs are looking strong again this year.

I love the WTB tires. Are yours tubeless?
Old 09-16-18, 06:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Oh man! I completely forgot. Probably just as well. I don't think that pie should be on my eating plan at this time.

You definitely deserve bonus points for the 3.14mile ride distance.
Old 09-16-18, 07:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
OK, you just made me hungry for pie even though I just had breakfast.
I don't get pie too often, as the Mrs is not a pie person, so I usually have to go out to get some.
Me, I likes pie!
Old 09-16-18, 07:57 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
In Dover Delaware we have a September ride called The Amish Country Bike Tour. Varying distances so it satisfies all levels of riders. The big highlight is that Amish women run one or more rest stops serving home made pies. Good variety and great tasting.
This one sounds like it would be worth a trip to Delaware. Around here, they have an Amish Quilt ride (or something similar) where garden quilts are displayed. But, Amish pies are way more interesting and tasty!
Old 09-16-18, 01:19 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by jppe
Love the pie rides!!! The Ms Freshley cherry pie is great the way you prepared it. I wonder how many of those I’ve eaten over the years. A cherry pie was a daily treat in college.

The dogs are looking strong again this year.

I love the WTB tires. Are yours tubeless?
Like you need to ask that question. I run tubeless tires on four of the five bikes I actually ride. Only the old Fuji around town bike has tubes in the tires. Especially with the plus size MTB tires on this bike I want to be able to run very low air pressure without having to worry about pinch flats.
Old 09-21-18, 07:43 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
How about pie ride memories with members no longer here.
Having pie with billydonn after our ride in Council Bluffs Ia Oct 2012. RIP.

Old 09-22-18, 08:45 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
It may be Int'l Pie Day and pie season, but I hold off until March 17.
Old 09-22-18, 08:28 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Wildwood
It may be Int'l Pie Day and pie season, but I hold off until March 17.
Pie in September, Pi in March. Perfect symmetry.

But Pi day is March 14th. What tradition are you following to ride for pie on St. Patrick's Day?

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-22-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 01:07 PM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ride where you ride your age is a pie ride.
Old 09-25-18, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
March 14th, last year?