Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Only one Bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Only one Bike?

Old 01-12-19, 08:04 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Only one Bike?

If you could only have one bicycle would it be a Fat Bike?
Old 01-12-19, 09:31 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Absolutely not.

For me, I cannot imagine a worse single-bike. Maybe as a fifth bike.

For me (and I am not, you, your preferences are going to be different from mine): One bike: Endurance Road. Two bikes: Endurance Road, and Hybrid with rack and fenders. Three bikes: Add a mountain bike. Four bikes: Add a weight-weeny road bike. Five bikes: Ok, now we're at a point where I might justify a fatbike. But this is pretty theoretical; I'm pretty sure that, while I may be able to make the case for a third bike (a mountain bike), I'm never going to get #4 and #5 past my wife.

But your riding needs are totally different from mine. If a fatbike is a good decision for you, don't let me stop you.
Old 01-12-19, 09:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Could you live with a Monster Truck as the basis of a one-car lifestyle? If so, a fatbike-only cycling lifestyle may indeed be for you.
Old 01-12-19, 11:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
If you could only have one bicycle would it be a Fat Bike?
No.
Old 01-13-19, 08:17 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I haven't owned one, but yesterday I was looking for a comfortable bike at my local bike shop (will get rid of my current one) and the owner, who had a ton of them, steered me away once he heard I wanted to ride it to neighboring towns. His basic take was something like "I'll sell you one of these if you want it, but I mostly sell them to guys who think they look awesome and want something they can have fun riding around their neighborhood on".
Old 01-13-19, 10:46 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by YankeeRider
I haven't owned one, but yesterday I was looking for a comfortable bike at my local bike shop (will get rid of my current one) and the owner, who had a ton of them, steered me away once he heard I wanted to ride it to neighboring towns. His basic take was something like "I'll sell you one of these if you want it, but I mostly sell them to guys who think they look awesome and want something they can have fun riding around their neighborhood on".
Right.

if you want to regain those glory days of an eight year old where your city block is your universe, fatbike will make you feel 8 again.
Old 01-13-19, 01:23 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

For me

Yes a fat bike or possibly a gravel bike for a one bike program. I can ride a fat bike literally anywhere I want to go. On road, mtb, beach, grocery getter.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-13-19, 08:57 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
It depends on what your riding is. if it is off-road most of the time and only little pavement, it could work. You may look into a 2nd wheelset, like a 29+ for on-road.

For most riders, this is where N+1 comes into play. i have a fatbike and a hybrid and i can't imagine only having either bike. A bike for everything will be severely compromised. Gearing, BB height, Geometry, tire tread etc. are all specific to type of riding.
Old 01-13-19, 11:20 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
If I was riding for fun only. As mentioned, if you can live with a monster truck.
It is my 2nd bike (of 4)
Old 01-14-19, 06:03 AM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
For me I couldn't think of a better bike to be the one and only!!! My Farley only weighs 27lbs and was thinking of a 29+ carbon wheel set which would probably get it down to 25ish. But I decided that I wanted some squish in my life and just purchased my 1st squishy fork bike....Trek Stache 7. I love the lightness of my Farley too much to install a squishy fork....and lucky to have plenty of room for another bike.
Old 01-14-19, 06:20 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
I've ridden them and they do have their place, but not in my stable.
Old 01-14-19, 11:14 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
No.

Some people get the wrong impression that fat bike tires can replace full suspension for trail riding. That just isn't the case.

But maybe some like getting busted in the balls from the seat.
Old 01-14-19, 12:01 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I'm having a good time on my fat bike, not sure I'd want it as my only bike though. I previously used a hybrid as a winter bike, and just left the studded tires on it for that purpose. Still, there is a lot of time, that those lovely Gravdals can't get me out my 1/2 mile long driveway because of the blowing snow across it. And, there are a ton of fat bike rides that I was missing out on

So, the fat bike allows me to continue riding local gravel like I had intended the hybrid to do, and unlike any of my other bikes, I can actually use the groomed atv/snowmobile/bike path that starts only a couple miles from my door, or the groomed fat bike trails just a half hour away. I can see getting some really nice rolling summer weight fat tires if I still want to hit the trails during the summer as a break from my usual road rides though, and it's a heck of a good workout, but in an enjoyable way, at least to me.
Old 01-15-19, 05:59 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by prj71
No.

Some people get the wrong impression that fat bike tires can replace full suspension for trail riding. That just isn't the case.

But maybe some like getting busted in the balls from the seat.
Full squish isnt necessary and it hides bad bike riding skills. Fat bikes absolutely allow you to go over terrain that you would normally not consider with a rigid bike.

Old 01-15-19, 11:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

Full squish isnt necessary and it hides bad bike riding skills. Fat bikes absolutely allow you to go over terrain that you would normally not consider with a rigid bike.

No, that's because the seats are up to 60 years old in my case...

And I am going on eight bikes, all of which are totally badass and Rollfast Approved (why wait for the government to do it)?
Old 01-15-19, 01:08 PM
prj71

Nobody said necessary. It's just that full squish is more comfortable. Rigid beats the crap out of you if riding on rocky and rooty trails.
Old 01-15-19, 08:04 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I find that the fat bike rolls most obstacles just fine. I just have an el cheapo one too.
Old 01-15-19, 11:37 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.

I need a road bike. My main cycling is road, since I live in the country and, to be honest, drivers are pretty darn good around here! Granted, I have front and rear LED lighting so they can see me, and I tend to stay as far right as possible... but anyway.

As my only off-road bike? Yea. I love my green monster bike off pavement! Not a dual suspension person, nor am I going to be doing big drops or jumps anymore. Being single working in a factory (I do well) and owning my own house, I can't afford to get injured!

However, if you look up Youtuber "Old man fat bike" I do believe he only owns a fat bike (2 now). I could be wrong, but it seems that way. Cool guy, too.
Old 01-17-19, 08:12 AM
Surveyor 777

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I truly am allowed only one bike, then yes. My Farley runs 27.5 x 4.5 tires normally but I believe I could get new wheels and skinnier tires for summer riding, so I would have some variety. Around here (Wisconsin) we normally have many months of snow. My road bike sees the outside roads maybe 6 months (depending on road conditions) but my fat bike can be used all 12 months, in all conditions.

Is it the ideal bike for all conditions? Oh no. I need to have my fat bike, my MTB and my road bike for the variety. When I'm riding my fattie on the roads (when the roads are snowy or icy), I miss the speed I get w/the road bike.
Old 01-17-19, 08:10 PM
wbrazell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I ride really crummy gravel roads and rails to trails and the fat tire is great on these surfaces.I have four bikes and the fat tire gets the most use.
Old 01-18-19, 05:52 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by wbrazell
Yes. I ride really crummy gravel roads and rails to trails and the fat tire is great on these surfaces.I have four bikes and the fat tire gets the most use.
I find that Fat Bikes and Gravel Bikes are much better than I would have ever imagined. No other bikes needed. I now need to find a quality fat bike or upgrade the bike I have. Redline Grizz. I bought it for a beach cruiser but have found I like it for trail riding and other riding as well.

Old 01-18-19, 08:41 AM
prj71

I find that the fat bike rolls most obstacles just fine. I just have an el cheapo one too.
Any bike will roll obstacles. Some just do it better than others. Like those with suspension.
Old 01-18-19, 07:16 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Why spend thousands on full squish bikes when you can do the same thing with a much less expensive rigid fat bike.
Old 01-18-19, 09:03 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Any bike will roll obstacles. Some just do it better than others. Like those with suspension.
That's a negative ghost rider.
A fat bike will handle obstacles much better than a full suspension bike. It's not just about cushioning the bumps, the tires form around the obstacle providing grip.
Old 01-19-19, 12:00 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

These folks must have never ridden a fat bike. Go ride one and see how it handles techy trails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.