Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Lucky? Unlucky? Or just stupid? Heebie jeebies after a very minor accident

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 03:42 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Yesterday, I was riding along at about 5:00 o'clock, heading home from work. In my mind (or what passes for it), I was cataloging the times when I'd fallen off my bike--probably because I'd forgotten my helmet that day. All of a sudden, a car sideswipes me and takes off into the dusk.

This was, as you can imagine, a bit of a shock. But no injuries; my little finger is sore. Yet, while this was a fairly minor incident, I have to admit that it has disturbed my mind a bit. After all, my family probably wouldn't appreciate it if, some fine afternoon, I didn't make it home in my current, non-flattened, state.

So I'm wondering: Was I lucky it wasn't worse? Was I unlucky? Or was I just stupid? Granted, you weren't there. (I'm not sure I was all there myself.) It was a two lane road, fairly heavily traveled at that hour. Traffic starts to thin out and pick up in that area: the speed limit is 35mph. I've ridden the same stretch during the evening commute hundreds of times. I was a few feet from the right side of the lane, motorists were changing lanes to go around me. I was running two taillights and wearing a bright yellow jacket.

So give me the benefit of your advice. Should I look for an alternate route? There's a creek running perpendicular to my path that limits the options. The next road north is fairly busy at that hour. I can go further north, use a path over the creek, and avoid most of the traffic, but that probably lengthens my time by about half. Or would a mirror have helped--either by letting me see traffic behind me, or by sticking out a bit further and making my wider (or maybe by scraping up the motorist's paint a bit)?

I took the same route home today, just because I didn't feel like it.

Last edited by storckm; 10-04-23 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 07:29 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
Today I came close to be sideswiped by a vehicle. I was right on the white line separating the turn lane from the north bound lane, cars in the north bound lane, and approaching a traffic light, red for my direction. As I slowed to stop for the light the driver of a car in the turn lane blew his horn right behind me and then went zooming past me, maybe a foot from me. He was cussing me as he passed me.
Old 01-18-19, 07:55 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
While being rattled, you've already gotten "back on the horse". I would skip the bike mirror. If they didn't see you (phone/texting?) they won't notice or care about a small mirror sticking out. Use a helmet mounted mirror. I got hooked on mine within days and (kinda like a seat belt-) feel naked without it and never since forget the helmet!
Old 01-18-19, 09:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 3,154 Posts
Lucky. Very lucky.

What to do? Keep riding or quit. Could have happened anywhere.
Old 01-18-19, 11:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Posts #1 and #2 . Neither lucky nor unlucky. Lucky that these two jerks were aiming for you? Unlucky because you experienced what all other cyclists experience regularly? Unfortunately, it's part of the game. If all those other cars were able to pass you, what's wrong with the jerk that sideswiped you? Or the guy in the right-turn lane cussing? At least he saw you and was able to drive by safely in his lane unobstructed.
Old 01-19-19, 02:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
How many miles is your commute by bike path vs by road?
Old 01-19-19, 07:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 3,154 Posts
Yeah, depends on where you start the story: Lucky to have been born into an era of peace and prosperity in a democracy on a planet that supports life; unlucky some negligent or homicidal dickbrain clipped you...
Old 01-19-19, 08:35 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
So give me the benefit of your advice. Should I look for an alternate route? There's a creek running perpendicular to my path that limits the options. The next road north is fairly busy at that hour. I can go further north, use a path over the creek, and avoid most of the traffic, but that probably lengthens my time by about half.
IMO, 30 minutes before and after sundown is the worst time to ride with traffic. How long of a time are you talking about when you say "by half"? I've had many close calls and actually was hit once. These incidents have motivated me to avoid those routes, even though my commute was lengthened considerably. I live 2 miles from my work, but my commute was 5-7 miles depending on which route I took. I was adding less than 30 minutes; however I found myself enjoying the commute a heck of a lot more. I know I was fortunate to have reasonable alternate routes. Some don't.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-19, 08:55 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
I would skip the bike mirror. If they didn't see you (phone/texting?) they won't notice or care about a small mirror sticking out. Use a helmet mounted mirror. I got hooked on mine within days and (kinda like a seat belt-) feel naked without it and never since forget the helmet!
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
IMO, 30 minutes before and after sundown is the worst time to ride with traffic. .
I also learned the hard way about riding into a setting (or rising) sun. I still ride in traffic when on club rides or with a friend but prefer to ride my rather isolated loop ride when riding solo and for exercise, I'm not a commuter. It was a wake up call to me to realize how vulnerable you are on the highway. I have mirrors on all bikes now and may end up with a helmet mirror someday. I read they do work better and bar mirrors can be a hassle transporting a bike. My experience: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...up-mirror.html
Old 01-19-19, 12:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
? Unlucky? Or just stupid? Heebie jeebies after a very minor accident
Yesterday, I was riding along at about 5:00 o'clock, heading home from work. ...All of a sudden, a car sideswipes me and takes off into the dusk.

This was, as you can imagine, a bit of a shock...

So I'm wondering: Was I lucky it wasn't worse? Was I unlucky? Or was I just stupid? Granted, you weren't there. (I'm not sure I was all there myself.) It was a two lane road, fairly heavily traveled at that hour. Traffic starts to thin out and pick up in that area: the speed limit is 35mph.

I've ridden the same stretch during the evening commute hundreds of times. I was a few feet from the right side of the lane, motorists were changing lanes to go around me. I was running two taillights and wearing a bright yellow jacket.

So give me the benefit of your advice. Should I look for an alternate route? ...but that probably lengthens my time by about half. Or would a mirror have helped--either by letting me see traffic behind me, or by sticking out a bit further and making my wider (or maybe by scraping up the motorists paint a bit)?

I took the same route home today, just because I didn't feel like it.
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
While being rattled, you've already gotten "back on the horse". I would skip the bike mirror. If they didn't see you (phone/texting?) they won't notice or care about a small mirror sticking out.

Use a helmet mounted mirror. I got hooked on mine within days and (kinda like a seat belt-) feel naked without it and never since forget the helmet!
This is the first time I have read about using a rearview mirror as an aid to visibility and direct a car away from the bike. A better suggestion would be a pool noodle.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...However to add to your list of visibility aids, see this thread, Safety hack for bikes using a pool noodle.” It has a video and photo of a pool noodle. I recall thinking it is something I might put on my bike, and a pool store is nearby my workplace, so I’ll have to check it out.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view. In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways.

I once read a comment that one should practice doing "bunny hops" so at least you could jump a curb if present on your right.

Obviously that’s the ultimate use of a mirror, and now I monitor rearwards more frequently. So hopefully being aware of the situation behind, even when not in immediate danger, allows the rider to avoid a dangerous situation, even by pulling off the road. And other than my accident, I’ve never had the need to bail out.

IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?

Mirror threads are often popcorn threads, and I’m always dismayed when subscribers blithely write, often directed towards newbies, that you don’t need a mirror and it doesn’t help anyways. Why discourage such a simple piece of equipment? I’ve tried to think of the dangers of a mirror, and the best I’ve come up with is poking your eye with an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror; or being too distracted by it, for example if you can’t really get used to it.

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear. I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wearboth right and left hand rearview mirrors
Old 01-19-19, 01:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't know regarding your questions, but I do know that anyone who swipes you in a car is either not watching, incompetent, or a self-centered sociopath.

If you're like most of us, you're going to be a little skittish on that part of that road for awhile. Eventually the confidence will return, maybe from feeling like you're consciously more alert. Whether that makes any difference I couldn't say, but I know that it feels like it does.
Old 01-19-19, 07:40 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
So give me the benefit of your advice.
Only YOU should be making your life and death choices. Do not put it on us or others. You got a warning. Most dead people didn't get one, or ignored it. What's next is on you 100%.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-19-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 10:54 PM
new2olbikes

Bikes: Nuttin great: late 70's 80's Ross Pro GT, late 60's/70's Ross girls Compact. 60's RollFast kids project etc..

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look your route over again, drive it in your car, thinking only as a driver and see where the squeeze spots or conflicts are more likely, these places are prone to be danger areas on your bike.
Bicycles as commuter vehicles are not a "routine / common" thought for most drivers, at least not in the East coast metro areas near me, (NYC, NJ & East Pa). I've been driving for over 50 yrs. have driven 18's, `NYC cabs and now I drive part time school buses and the average driver doesn't even understand how to deal w/ a 10 ton, 10' high, 30' long vehicle, never mind our bikes. Despite road markings, bike lanes and even public awareness programs most drivers are in a hurry and bikes dwell in the "out of sight, out of mind" category. Even bike riders fail to observe some common road rules, ride w/ traffic, walk your bike across signal controlled intersections, signal your intentions etc. If we chose to ride on a commuter route or any busy road it is necessary to make ourselves extra visible, blinking lights,(front & rear facing) all day every day, bright shirts and what ever else you think looks obvious will help. Remember one thing; in the battle of who wins ,(if we get hit), it's never us. Close calls are getting too frequent, too many people on cell phones, spilling coffee etc. but mostly I'm not as agile as I was yesterday. I am pretty much riding close to home, local streets or hauling the bike to a park, closed trail etc. I'm getting wary of the road on my bike.
Old 01-19-19, 11:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My take? (As one who has been riding in traffic 50 years and a ridiculous number of miles.)

Don't forget your helmet (or go back and get it) - primarily so you mind is focused on the ride, not "what if ...". Get a mirror. Wouldn't have helped you here probably but they are a huge asset when you need to deal with situations in front of you as you know far better what your options are. Don't sweat this incident. Stuff happens. If you ride long enough, you will see it. Yes, there is stuff we can do to improve our odds, but there will always be crank drivers, drunks, kids, animals, weather, sun darkness, dust, road debris, water/oil/whatever on the pavement, potholes. cracks ...

Old school racing advice I received that has served me very well - ride with your elbows bent and slightly out to the side, hold that handlebars with a firm but not death grip. keep your wrists and arms loose so if you hit something you didn't see, you never lose your grip and if someone bumps you from the side you are still in control. (Nothing in your arms, hands or shoulders should ever be rigid.) Hold other bikes, even cars off with your elbow and forearm so nothing ever catches your handlebars. In iffy situations or visibility or when your awareness is limited, ride in the drops of the handlebars; the most secure handhold on a bike. (We were taught to set our bikes up so we could always ride the drops in any situation if called for.) I was taught these lessons 40 years ago and they have served me very well. They were brought back from Europe where they evolved over 80 years of racing.

Consider even brighter clothing. Also, 5:00 now is dusk in a lot of the US. Dust (and dawn), especially riding into the sun, are the most dangerous times for visibility. We may not be seen even lit up like Christmas trees. The dirves may well be struggling just to see where the road is. An hour after dust (properly lit) is far saver. I sometimes choose or avoid roads just because of the sun and lighting at that time of day and year.

I have learned a lot talking to fellow riders, listening to people, observing other riders and especially observing riders as the driver of a car. And I am still learning.

Edit: I'd look at a helmet or eyeglass mounted mirror. Better, steadier view and no extra width sticking into traffic. (I use on of the 3rd Eye helmet mirrors. (https://www.thirdeyemirrors.com/)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-19-19 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 06:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
One more vote for Extra care around dusk. Not enough ambient light to be seen, too much for lights to be really bright ... bikes fade into the haze. Plus, drivers coming home late, hungry, tired, impatient, and not able to see well too ... as @79pmooney says, eventually you might have a few close calls if you ride enough. Don't get all panicked. It is usual to have some residual fear, and it fade, usually.

I wanted to comment on one thing: Last serious crash I had, I was not too clear-headed. I knew it, but i didn't do anything about it. As @pmooney79 says---go back for your helmet. Not because it will save you, but so you don't think about it. Park for a few minutes if you aren't focused. Ride 200-yard stretches and pull off the road. Do whatever it takes.

In my case, I wasn't focused, and i dropped my front wheel an inch off the road into some sand, and fell in the path of a car. It stopped----miraculously---but I still cracked my clavicle. I knew I was riding distracted and ignored it. It wasn't far from being my final mistake. It's not a mistake I will make again.
Old 01-21-19, 07:52 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Well, thanks for the thoughts so far. I'm not looking to be told what to do; simply asking for advice from other experienced--in some cases, more experienced--cyclists. That seems like a reasonable course.

Of course, distraction or inattention was probably the cause. While the incident happened shortly before sunset, the sun was behind me, not ahead. And I know, at least intellectually, that motorists kill pedestrians and other motorists with some regularity. Sooner or later, somehow or other, I'll die, despite my best efforts to the contrary. The fraction of motorists who would intentionally hit you, even when angry, is small enough to disregard.

I have been thinking about routes, and may get a mirror as well. It can't hurt, and may help.

I don't know about the pool noodle. Some months back, a couple of cops gave me a hard time for "obstructing traffic" by not using the bike lane (in an area where the bike land ends in the middle of a block and there are a lot of right turning vehicles) and for riding with a framing square in my rear bag protruding out to the left. They may not have legal grounds for their attitude, but I'd rather not wrangle with them if I can help it.
Old 01-21-19, 02:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't day-dream while riding bike.
Chances are if you were commuting on that road, so was the driver.
Try to look for the driver and get the license number and report to police.
Old 02-15-19, 08:15 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Can you identify the car and did you file a police report?
I know that it is hard to do when something like that happens, but people are creatures of habit and as mentioned, an incident like this sounds like a distracted commuter. They might avoid the road for a few days, but eventually they will be back.
Old 02-15-19, 05:53 PM
Commuter19

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just learn how to do emergency stop on your bicycle or counterbalance. I’ve had vans brush up against my shoulder but never fallen off as I know above and those who don’t know I’m actually only 19!
Old 02-15-19, 06:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Commuter19
Why not just learn how to do emergency stop on your bicycle or counterbalance. I’ve had vans brush up against my shoulder but never fallen off as I know above and those who don’t know I’m actually only 19!
we don't really know the full details ... it is possible that even a rider as talented and skilled as yourself might have fallen from the same impact ... but possibly not.

However ... the Point of the thread seems to be more about how the OP might avoid getting hit at all, not how he might get hit and stay up.
Old 02-15-19, 08:46 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Preventable or not?

This is the question that can only be answered by the OP.

For me, video has been a useful tool to help me answer this question.

Heebie jeebies are normal after a close call, I consider this to be healthy fear, it will keep you safe in the future.
Old 02-15-19, 09:54 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't know regarding your questions, but I do know that anyone who swipes you in a car is either not watching, incompetent, or a self-centered sociopath.

If you're like most of us, you're going to be a little skittish on that part of that road for awhile. Eventually the confidence will return, maybe from feeling like you're consciously more alert. Whether that makes any difference I couldn't say, but I know that it feels like it does.
After that nice lady ran me down from behind at the stop sign (and was nice enough to back up her pickup so paramedics could strap me down and fit me with the collar before my ride in the short bus) I was pretty skittish for quite a while. Physically I couldn’t ride for a few months, but mentally? I experienced hyper vigilance behind the wheel for weeks.
That slowly subsided and then, when I began riding again, I was pretty edgy for a while.

This, too, shall pass. Then the process of deciding what, how, when, and where to ride.

Best of lucky in processing the whole thing!

”Be here now.”
Old 02-16-19, 02:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bgross
...lady ran me down from behind at the stop sign...
Stopping for those things can be dangerous.
Old 02-17-19, 09:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I think you were lucky.

I can only share my experience, which is that my glasses mounted mirror really helps. It allows me to see ahead and behind at the same time. When I see a vehicle approaching from behind I can veer further right if possible. But if the car drifts right with me and it looks kinda close, I will wave my left hand to the side behind me like a "get away from me" motion. That seems to work pretty well, but not always.

A couple of times in the last year when I didn't want to take my left hand off the bars I honked my AirZound airhorn. It worked once, and the car backed off...the other time it didn't and really, I don't expect it to.

With my helmet cam I can usually catch the license plate of the driver. I haven't followed up on a close brush yet by calling the police with the license plate, but if I had been touched, as you have been, I would.
Old 02-17-19, 09:22 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Lucky you didn't hit your head; unlucky to be hit at all.

I'd recommend two cameras, one front and one rear. I run a Cycliq Fly12 in the front and a Cycliq Fly6 in the back, all the time. I bought additional mounts for every bike I own, and switch the cameras between bikes as necessary.

Next time, you'll be able to review video and hopefully determine exactly what happened and who did it.

If it were the expectation of all road users that they were being recorded in HD at all times, they'd behave better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.