Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Latest rehab adventure

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Latest rehab adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 05:28 PM
bionicOldGuy

Bikes: Bike Friday Superpro, Trek ds 8.6 hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest rehab adventure

I had a bike crash and broke my right collarbone last Tuesday. I hit a bad pothole and it caused my cleat on my clipped in shoe to come loose. My foot slipped off the pedal and hit the ground. The ground dragged my foot backwards which made my bike go wildly unstable and I crashed, slamming my shoulder. Rehab is not too bad so far. Not painful unless I move the right shoulder wrong, then it lets me know for sure. Doc has me in a sling which immobilizes it well unless I forget and try to do something with my right hand.
I wrote a blog post discussing my rehab adventure so far at https://bionicoldguy.blog
Old 01-25-19, 06:44 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bionicOldGuy
I had a bike crash and broke my right collarbone last Tuesday. I hit a bad pothole and it caused my cleat on my clipped in shoe to come loose. My foot slipped off the pedal and hit the ground. The ground dragged my foot backwards which made my bike go wildly unstable and I crashed, slamming my shoulder. Rehab is not too bad so far. Not painful unless I move the right shoulder wrong, then it lets me know for sure. Doc has me in a sling which immobilizes it well unless I forget and try to do something with my right hand.
I wrote a blog post discussing my rehab adventure so far at https://bionicoldguy.blog
I don’t think bionic means what you think it means.
Old 01-25-19, 09:00 PM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definition of bionic

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

I don’t think bionic means what you think it means.
I have 3 artificial parts, two hips and a heart valve. They're still bionic even though they don't have 6 million dollar man servos in them. My heart valve is a bit borderline because it has a combination of man-made and bovine tissue.

From wikipedia:

In medicine, bionics means the replacement or enhancement of organs or other body parts by mechanical versions. Bionic implants differ from mere prostheses by mimicking the original function very closely, or even surpassing it.
Old 01-25-19, 09:37 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Heal well. I have seven coronary stents so that makes me partially bionic.

I’ve had PT for a broken finger and a broken ankle. A good physical therapist will have you back to cycling in now time.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-19, 01:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yikes! You've had a rough time lately. Best wishes recovering. Sounds like you have a good plan for keeping up your spirits.

I went through that last spring -- hit by a car, broke and dislocated my shoulder. In my case it was mid-September before I really felt like rehab was making any progress. I was getting awfully impatient but it finally began to improve.

And as you've described in your recovery plan, I spent a lot of time walking, and a friend gave me his old Cycleops trainer. First time I'd ever used any kind of bike trainer and now I'm hooked. I still use it a couple of times a week. At first it was just to maintain basic fitness while recovering. Now I use it for interval training and recovery sessions after hard outdoor rides. Or just to keep my legs loose and get the blood circulating while watching TV or movies.

I still can't handle much weight on the injured shoulder so I'm going to try structured PT soon. But I did -- and still do -- a lot of range of motion, from slow tai chi type stuff to shadow boxing, to isometric/isotonic exercises. Before the injury I was doing 3 sets of 10-15 pushups. Now I can barely do 3, but it'll come back.
Old 01-26-19, 11:23 AM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Heal well. I have seven coronary stents so that makes me partially bionic.

I’ve had PT for a broken finger and a broken ankle. A good physical therapist will have you back to cycling in now time.

Good luck.
7 stents counts for sure! You're right about PT that's worked for me in the past. Thanks for the well-wishes
Old 01-26-19, 11:38 AM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yikes! You've had a rough time lately. Best wishes recovering. Sounds like you have a good plan for keeping up your spirits.

I went through that last spring -- hit by a car, broke and dislocated my shoulder. In my case it was mid-September before I really felt like rehab was making any progress. I was getting awfully impatient but it finally began to improve.

And as you've described in your recovery plan, I spent a lot of time walking, and a friend gave me his old Cycleops trainer. First time I'd ever used any kind of bike trainer and now I'm hooked. I still use it a couple of times a week. At first it was just to maintain basic fitness while recovering. Now I use it for interval training and recovery sessions after hard outdoor rides. Or just to keep my legs loose and get the blood circulating while watching TV or movies.

I still can't handle much weight on the injured shoulder so I'm going to try structured PT soon. But I did -- and still do -- a lot of range of motion, from slow tai chi type stuff to shadow boxing, to isometric/isotonic exercises. Before the injury I was doing 3 sets of 10-15 pushups. Now I can barely do 3, but it'll come back.
A broken and dislocated shoulder sounds painful! Glad you're on the mend. Thanks for the tip about slow range of motion. I figured getting strength and mobility back in the shoulder would be the biggest challenge.
I have my bike on a trainer, though not as nice as a Cycleops. I hope it will help to get higher intensity than walking
Thanks for the well wishes
Old 01-26-19, 07:01 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
7 stents counts for sure! You're right about PT that's worked for me in the past. Thanks for the well-wishes
The stents are made out of a Ti alloy...no carbon for me.
Old 02-01-19, 07:47 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I had a bike crash and broke my right collarbone last Tuesday. I hit a bad pothole and it caused my cleat on my clipped in shoe to come loose. My foot slipped off the pedal and hit the ground. The ground dragged my foot backwards which made my bike go wildly unstable and I crashed, slamming my shoulder.
Would have made for impressive video.....

Might want to check those cleats. Worn out cleats can release.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 02-01-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 09:10 PM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Would have made for impressive video.....

Might want to check those cleats. Worn out cleats can release.
Yes I wish one of my riding mates had a gopro. Always hate missing an opportunity to go viral on youtube.

You're right about the cleats, they do look worn. Time to swap them out and make sure the release setting on the pedals isn't too loose
Old 02-14-19, 01:20 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Ouch! Having suffered numerous separation s and dislocations of my right shoulder during my 20s and early 30s, I commiserate with that recovery and wish you well!I found that physical therapy was the best thing after calling it junk science for many years... Hey, I was young and dumb... Fast forward and in my late 40s I had a knee replacement, and a[ppropriate physical therapy, and you know, it was vastly superior to what I'd had 15 or so year prior. Nine months after my knee replacement, I had a bad bicycle crash, breaking my back and the fix was 2 rods and 10 screws... More physical therapy. Well into my second half of my 50s now, I take physical therapy every chance I get... So yes, I see the bionic reality, but it sure would be nice to have ENHANCED abilities to go with all that surgery!!!
Old 02-15-19, 10:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Every time I fly on a plane I have to go through the body scan. Then I have to have the hand wand scan the areas that have been identified. I'd feel a lot more confident in TSA if they would consistently wand the shoulder and hip that I know are the ones with the metal in them.
Old 02-15-19, 10:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by zjrog
So yes, I see the bionic reality, but it sure would be nice to have ENHANCED abilities to go with all that surgery!!!
My superpowers are in my posterior. I have a smart a$$.
Old 02-15-19, 10:32 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Every time I fly on a plane I have to go through the body scan. Then I have to have the hand wand scan the areas that have been identified. I'd feel a lot more confident in TSA if they would consistently wand the shoulder and hip that I know are the ones with the metal in them.
I have a friend who’s former college roommate, a triathelete with a titantium hip, travels about 120 segments a year. He didn’t like being groped by the TSA and was worried about the large number of passes through their x-ray scanner. So he filmed a pass through the TSA where he stripped down to his speedo so they could see everything including the scars from the surgery. He then refused to be scanned so they sent him to the hand frisking station. Upon arriving there, they would not frisk him until he was fully dressed. The - literally - could see every contour of his body but that wasn’t good enough and he had to be frisked. Go figure.

The whole thing was hilarious.

TSA made him take the video down off of YouTube.

You and me both. My wife claims I can instantly pi$$ someone off with a couple of sentences after knowing them a matter of minutes. She claims that’s my superpower.
Old 02-15-19, 11:46 AM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Ouch! Having suffered numerous separation s and dislocations of my right shoulder during my 20s and early 30s, I commiserate with that recovery and wish you well!I found that physical therapy was the best thing after calling it junk science for many years... Hey, I was young and dumb... Fast forward and in my late 40s I had a knee replacement, and a[ppropriate physical therapy, and you know, it was vastly superior to what I'd had 15 or so year prior. Nine months after my knee replacement, I had a bad bicycle crash, breaking my back and the fix was 2 rods and 10 screws... More physical therapy. Well into my second half of my 50s now, I take physical therapy every chance I get... So yes, I see the bionic reality, but it sure would be nice to have ENHANCED abilities to go with all that surgery!!!
PT has worked well for me, I have a superb guy I work with. I hope your back's doing ok that sounds painful
Old 02-15-19, 11:48 AM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have metal in my hips and sternum now so have to do the body scan too. And no they do not always catch it. Once they scanned me and didn't mention the hips or sternum but caught a single aspirin tablet in my pocket
Old 02-15-19, 12:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

I have a friend who’s former college roommate, a triathelete with a titantium hip, travels about 120 segments a year. He didn’t like being groped by the TSA and was worried about the large number of passes through their x-ray scanner. So he filmed a pass through the TSA where he stripped down to his speedo so they could see everything including the scars from the surgery. He then refused to be scanned so they sent him to the hand frisking station. Upon arriving there, they would not frisk him until he was fully dressed. The - literally - could see every contour of his body but that wasn’t good enough and he had to be frisked. Go figure.
I guess they let him know they, not him, are the ones setting the screening procedure.

I'm thinking the least senior TSA screeners get assigned to frisking duty. That's got to be the least desirable job. Then the supervisors watch them to be sure everybody gets groped thoroughly.
Old 02-15-19, 04:24 PM
JohnJ80

I guess they let him know they, not him, are the ones setting the screening procedure.

I'm thinking the least senior TSA screeners get assigned to frisking duty. That's got to be the least desirable job. Then the supervisors watch them to be sure everybody gets groped thoroughly.
Having been a frequent air traveler and million miler, I don’t think I’ve met any law enforcement (border, immigration etc..) in any country I’ve traveled to that is more rigid or dogmatic than the TSA. Adding a little common sense and awareness into their protocols would be a really good thing. My favorite was when they made a 90 something Henry Kissinger - former SecState and NS Advisor get out of his wheel chair to go through a screening.

When they’ve tired to do more “aggressive searching” it set off a lot of problems. There were people who felt almost sexually assaulted even. I think it might have been Texas that told TSA at airports in the state that if they overdid it to expect to be arrested for sexual assualt. Not sure that was entirely it, but it was along those lines.

The sad thing about it all is that the FAA inspector general has been charged with evaluating security for decades even before the TSA was formed. The TSA have not improved on travel security audit peformance at passenger screening despite all the extra rigamarole you have to go through now to get to your gate.

I’m sure at some point, I’ll wind up with some titanium body parts and I’m not looking forward to the hassle that goes with that for travel.
Old 02-15-19, 07:54 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

I have metal in my hips and sternum now so have to do the body scan too. And no they do not always catch it. Once they scanned me and didn't mention the hips or sternum but caught a single aspirin tablet in my pocket
I don't fly often, but agree, sometimes they catch my knee, sometimes they don't. But the hardware in my back hits every
time... Same at Courthouses...
Old 02-15-19, 07:55 PM
zjrog

I have that same one periodically...
Old 02-15-19, 07:58 PM
zjrog

PT has worked well for me, I have a superb guy I work with. I hope your back's doing ok that sounds painful
I'm very lucky to be walking let alone anything else. I'm pleased that I'm pain free enough to not require meds. I do use muscle relaxers because still, over 7 years later, the muscles across that incision will argue and spasm without... Thank you!
Old 02-16-19, 06:12 AM
downhillmaster

Sorry to hear about your shoulder
Add this to the long list of injuries possibly caused by nothing other than going clipless. Do a search on these forums and you will get a lot of returns.
Not to mention all the dents and dings from everyone forgetting to unclip and falling over at a stop.
Mostly recreational riders that have a tendency to obsess over safety(see A&S)yet they continue to clip in.
Maybe blame this one on the pothole but you have to wonder if the other foot still being clipped in was a factor.
Old 02-16-19, 12:36 PM
bionicOldGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add this to the long list of injuries possibly caused by nothing other than going clipless. Do a search on these forums and you will get a lot of returns.
Not to mention all the dents and dings from everyone forgetting to unclip and falling over at a stop.
Mostly recreational riders that have a tendency to obsess over safety(see A&S)yet they continue to clip in.
Maybe blame this one on the pothole but you have to wonder if the other foot still being clipped in was a factor.
Yeah I'm a bit on the fence about clipless, and may reconsider after this incident. I did my share of "laugh-in tricycle" slo-mo falls when I was learning clipless.
It's interesting to speculate if the other foot still being clipped in played a role. But I'm pretty sure if the foot that came loose had been on a nice wide platform pedal instead of a tiny little pedal the accident wouldn't have happened.

On the other hand, being clipped in might have saved me from a broken leg once. I slid out going downhill pretty fast on black ice. I was desperately trying to pull my right foot out and probably would have instinctively stuck it out and landed on it. Instead it stayed clipped in and I landed on my side and just got some bruises.

I wonder if anyone has collected stats on accident rates, clip-in vs clipless?
Old 02-16-19, 03:58 PM
JohnJ80

if you don’t have the coordination necessary to clip and unclip from clipless pedals or the bike skills necessary to manage your bike in an unclipping situation, then you shouldnt ride them. It’s not the pedals, it’s the rider and always has been.
Old 02-16-19, 05:43 PM
downhillmaster

if you don’t have the coordination necessary to clip and unclip from clipless pedals or the bike skills necessary to manage your bike in an unclipping situation, then you shouldnt ride them. It’s not the pedals, it’s the rider and always has been.
Nonsense.
Almost everyone that clips in has toppled at a stop at one time or another. Maybe no injuries or serious damage but nicks and scratches for sure.
Don’t take my word for it though. Do a search on the million clipless threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.