Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle problems

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddle problems

Old 05-07-20, 03:15 PM
schuh8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle problems

At 6'2" and 245 lbs, I love to ride but my butt doesn't. Any suggestions for a comfortable saddle for someone of my size. I've even thought about building one myself but it would be based on a wood bottom and no easy way to adapt to a seatpost !

Last edited by schuh8; 05-07-20 at 03:17 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 05-07-20, 03:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
How long and how far are you riding at a time? How often? What type riding are you doing, road, off road or x-games? What is your experience with cycling, recent or long past?

Usually pain is just your body getting used to a new experience. It can take some time. I and others have played around with swapping saddles and trying all sorts of different styles. I honestly believe that it's not so much that I found the right saddle as much as it was just that during that time span, my butt muscles got better.

There is also recumbent bicycles and trikes that bring another way of dealing with comfort.
Old 05-07-20, 04:17 PM
schuh8

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Iride, I think you may be right. I'll give it a few weeks.
Old 05-21-20, 02:33 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm a small guy at 155 lbs. but too narrow a saddle is impossible for me. I'm generally comfortable, on a saddle contoured for my bottom if it is 155mm wide. I know some saddles are up to 165mm wide and i would suggest such a width. I can see no reason that a general recreational cyclist cannot use a wide saddle except for someone who likes a very low handlebar. Plenty of wide saddles around. https://www.google.com/search?client...e+bike+saddles
Old 05-30-20, 01:56 PM
Schwinn4Me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest buying a new Gel Seat. Had to switch my out and it made a huge difference on my butt pain.
Old 05-31-20, 11:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Saddle width makes a huge difference. Go to your LBS and get your sitbones measured. See it their measurement comports with your current saddle width. If it doesn't . . .They'll know what to do.
Old 05-31-20, 02:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Question ?? sparse on details??

Originally Posted by schuh8
At 6'2" and 245 lbs, I love to ride but my butt doesn't. Any suggestions for a comfortable saddle for someone of my size. I've even thought about building one myself but it would be based on a wood bottom and no easy way to adapt to a seatpost !
how do you sit , what style of riding and bike? dining table chair upright, down in the drop bars go fast, or somewhere in between?

Example: the numbered rubber Cambium Brooks, narrowest 13,> 15> 17 medium lean (B17 the traditional leather) > 19 the wider,
Dutch bike upright..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-31-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 02:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://getintouch.brooksengland.com...saddle-for-me-