Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 09:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben
That image just makes me weep.
Instagram profile says he is an ex track pro, so i guess theres at least some reason for him to have that equipment.
But he’s not an ex track pro. He’s not pro fast. At best he formaly formed a UCI Pro Track Team and made himself a member. It doesn’t take a lot of money to do so, and no performance requirements.
Old 09-06-18, 09:56 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
People like him are the reason I never got an instagram account.
Old 09-06-18, 10:56 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I found some results by searching him up a little deeper. 2015 Spanish track nats 8th in the Keirin 10th in the Sprint. Didn't dig much past that though.

**** if you've got the $$ for a sick bike/equipment, go for it. And that LOOK is pretty sick.
Old 09-06-18, 12:44 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Why are you all so Jelly?

If I had the money, I'd totally be rocking something like that.
Old 09-06-18, 01:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Why are you all so Jelly?

If I had the money, I'd totally be rocking something like that.
This is like buying an F1 car to do donuts in the local high school parking lot.

Not jelly. Just watching the sh*tshow from a guy that's screaming for attention
Old 09-19-18, 05:33 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Note regarding the new Vittoria Pista Speed/Control etc. tires: Those annoying red valves with the non-removable cores are gone. That's good, but those long ones you bought to use with your race wheels are now junk. You'll need some old fashioned normal valve extenders. Luckily I had one lurking in the corner of a toolbox...
Old 09-26-18, 03:23 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton

But he’s not an ex track pro. He’s not pro fast. At best he formaly formed a UCI Pro Track Team and made himself a member. It doesn’t take a lot of money to do so, and no performance requirements.
It's 1500 euro, I'm pretty sure. That's not nothing.
Old 09-27-18, 04:18 AM
Morelock

I mean, if your game is self promotion (which I assume is what Carleton is getting at) and you think being able to call yourself an ex pro would help... a one time fee of 1500 euro is pretty cheap marketing dollars.
Old 09-27-18, 02:47 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Morelock
I mean, if your game is self promotion (which I assume is what Carleton is getting at) and you think being able to call yourself an ex pro would help... a one time fee of 1500 euro is pretty cheap marketing dollars.
+1

Originally Posted by southernfox
It's 1500 euro, I'm pretty sure. That's not nothing.
This guy spends money in order to have people pay attention to him.

- "Look at my cars."
- "Look at my bikes."
- "Look at my tattoos."
- "Look at me."

I've had associates of this exact same mold. It's worse in person. You don't get to see the failed "hobbies" on myspace, IG, FB. Just the popular ones.

I'd would bet a dollar to a dime that this guy is into:
- DJing
- Graffiti
- Rare collectible nylon figures
- Rare band tshirts (black)
- Sneakers
- Japanese streetwear.
- Obscure metal, punk, death-metal, etc...
- Has an apartment/home straight out of a magazine. Bonus if one wall is decorated with obscure band flyers from the 80s.
- Vegan
- Doesn't drink or do drugs

EDIT:

Also into:
- Street art. Probably owns an original Futura 2000 or Banksy (a small one).
- Guns. Something something limited edition.

Last edited by carleton; 09-27-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 01:09 AM
Baby Puke

Are we still talking about track tires in here?
Old 09-28-18, 04:54 AM
Morelock

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Are we still talking about track tires in here?
The new Vittoria Pista Speeds are really nice. Maybe better than the old Evo's
Old 09-28-18, 05:36 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Morelock
The new Vittoria Pista Speeds are really nice. Maybe better than the old Evo's
I would say they're equal at least! Very nice. Glad about the return to sensible valves.
Old 09-28-18, 10:00 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it comes to track tyres, what do you guys do when your tubs get small cuts in them? ( im not talking big gashes, just the small slits you get in the centre of the tread from use) Im worried about how they may be vulnerable when pumped up to high pressures.

I have a set of Conti Tempo tubulars and they have series of small 1-3mm long cuts in the centre of the tread from riding on outdoor tarmac velodromes. They still have plenty of tread on them but i have no experience on whether these small cuts are an issue. On my road tyres i use tubeless sealant so have not really thought about the issue for the last 5 years or so. Since Sealant is an absolute no no for track ( and would be useless at such high pressures anyway), what do you guys do about small cuts?

Is it possible to glue them? Tubulars are so expensive, i would not want to bin them so soon!

Thanks
Old 09-28-18, 04:07 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

When it comes to track tyres, what do you guys do when your tubs get small cuts in them? ( im not talking big gashes, just the small slits you get in the centre of the tread from use) Im worried about how they may be vulnerable when pumped up to high pressures.

I have a set of Conti Tempo tubulars and they have series of small 1-3mm long cuts in the centre of the tread from riding on outdoor tarmac velodromes. They still have plenty of tread on them but i have no experience on whether these small cuts are an issue. On my road tyres i use tubeless sealant so have not really thought about the issue for the last 5 years or so. Since Sealant is an absolute no no for track ( and would be useless at such high pressures anyway), what do you guys do about small cuts?

Is it possible to glue them? Tubulars are so expensive, i would not want to bin them so soon!

Thanks

Just keep an eye on them and give your tires a wipe with your glove every so often (not on the track, but if you tend to warm-up and roll around in the infield). The tread does nothing for the tires structural ability to stay together under pressure. That's the casing's job. You just want to make sure that little bits of rock/glass/detritus aren't getting stuck in them and then working their way inwards to where they will cause a puncture.
Old 09-28-18, 06:18 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
What about cleaning procedures prior to enter a high bank track with a high pressure tire, coming from a standing start?
I'm not that 2500w guy and I'm still "slow" at the turn 1 entrance, and had two "swinging front" experiences last year at this kind of velodrome.
Didn't crash, but "cut" power, floated some meters, delayed acceleration, and got a poor time.
Doing this with some aluminum dust (from roller drums) on the tire is also a bad idea..
White vinegar on a piece of fabric, and it's all?
Old 09-28-18, 08:10 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by Clythio
What about cleaning procedures prior to enter a high bank track with a high pressure tire, coming from a standing start?
I'm not that 2500w guy and I'm still "slow" at the turn 1 entrance, and had two "swinging front" experiences last year at this kind of velodrome.
Didn't crash, but "cut" power, floated some meters, delayed acceleration, and got a poor time.
Doing this with some aluminum dust (from roller drums) on the tire is also a bad idea..
White vinegar on a piece of fabric, and it's all?

Rubbing alcohol works better than vinegar, smells better too.
Old 10-01-18, 11:01 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of us at VSC wipe their tires with rubbing alcohol. I use Pista Evos that never see an outside track so I don't wipe them very often. You should also take a look at your current tires and see if the tread has hardened with age. An old tire will slip even after rubbing alcohol. Contis seem particularly bad in this respect at VSC, in my experience.
Old 10-01-18, 02:20 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by rensho3
Most of us at VSC wipe their tires with rubbing alcohol. I use Pista Evos that never see an outside track so I don't wipe them very often. You should also take a look at your current tires and see if the tread has hardened with age. An old tire will slip even after rubbing alcohol. Contis seem particularly bad in this respect at VSC, in my experience.

If there's still a decent amount of tread left, toss them on the road bike for a while and then see if they stick better. Tires do harden with age, but it's typically only the outside. This is why some NOS tires will crack when flexed if they're more than a few years old. Rubber has oils in it that get squished and massaged and moved around with tire deflection. These oils can oxidize and dry/harden on the surface (inner and outer). It gets deeper with more age if the tires are just left to sit.

This sort of thing is basically inevitable with all tires, but some may age faster than others depending on the rubber recipe. Tires only really need to be ridden about once a month to maintain their pliability, but will age regardless before they wear out if this is the case. Best thing to do is wear your tires out before they start degrading.

Degreasing your tires with rubbing alcohol or vinegar will speed this up a bit, as it will strip some of the surface oils. Not a problem if your tires are getting a lot of use on a concrete or asphalt track, as they will naturally wear out faster than they age if ridden regularly. For indoor wooden tracks, where tires don't wear as much, this may be an issue, or an issue if you have an off-season where your tires will sit unused for a while. If your tires are going to be unused for a few months, you can treat them with these guys before putting the wheels into storage

Mequiar's Mirror Glaze M40
https://meguiars.ca/product/m40-mirr...conditioner-2/

Or

303 Aerospace protectant
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ce-protectant/

These will keep the rubber from drying out with disuse, just make sure to clean/degrease the tire surface and rough it up a little when you do decide to take the wheels out of storage. I used to do this with my motorcycle tires before putting the bike away for the 7 months of winter we have here.

Last edited by taras0000; 10-01-18 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 11:03 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with everything Taras said. In fact, I use the same procedures to keep my RV tires softer after sitting around a while. I use my older (and harder) tires when I go to ride Encino or San Diego, both of which are concrete/asphalt tracks.
Old 10-03-18, 08:07 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
Just keep an eye on them and give your tires a wipe with your glove every so often (not on the track, but if you tend to warm-up and roll around in the infield). The tread does nothing for the tires structural ability to stay together under pressure. That's the casing's job. You just want to make sure that little bits of rock/glass/detritus aren't getting stuck in them and then working their way inwards to where they will cause a puncture.
Thanks for the input - i will give thme an extra thoruough good look over next time i get the wheels out.
Old 10-03-18, 06:41 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Yeah. Just pump them up to max pressure and give them a goid look. I use a dental pick to pick things out of tires. Tool quality (in other words, lower grade than what your dentist uses) picks are usually available in sets of four for about $10 over here. Really nice to have around.

Something like this set - https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...et/A-p2924744e

Last edited by taras0000; 10-03-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 06:23 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by themandaniels
How did they go on wood @nspace? I live in London, UK and after much debate and reading this forum I also ordered some for riding indoors at Lee Valley (London 2012 track) and the occasional bit of outdoor racing at Herne Hill as they seemed a good compromise. Will be gluing mine up in next couple of weeks and hopefully get a ride in before the new year
Sorry to dig up an old post, but how did you get on at Lee valley with the Pista CS Elite tubulars? Im looking to get a set and my use case is almost identical to yours, mostly racing at Lee valley with occasional summer user at Herne Hill.

The paperwork says they are tuned for outdoor use, but hoping they will be decent enough for the indoor wood surface as i have found them at a very good price!

Thanks!
Old 12-05-18, 08:11 AM
themandaniels

Bikes: Giant Omnium, Canyon CF SL9.0 Aero, Specialized Roubaix Elite, VooDoo HooDoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post, but how did you get on at Lee valley with the Pista CS Elite tubulars? Im looking to get a set and my use case is almost identical to yours, mostly racing at Lee valley with occasional summer user at Herne Hill.

The paperwork says they are tuned for outdoor use, but hoping they will be decent enough for the indoor wood surface as i have found them at a very good price!

Thanks!
hi - they worked well at Lee Valley and Calshot but haven’t run them at HH as still use my clinchers
Old 12-06-18, 05:10 AM
Morelock

Anyone glued using Mastik Pro? Thoughts?

I'm fine sticking to the tried and true original, but the thought of gluing up multiple wheels in an hour or two sounds appealing.
Old 12-06-18, 08:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Cleans up with water? That sounds fantastic.

But it does make me wonder, do you have to start fresh with Mastik Pro, or can you go over layers of Mastik One. I'm thinking about paint, how oil and latex don't like each other.

Also, It doesn't take that long to glue up tires using Mastik One.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.