Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New saddle for upright-riding e-bike commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 07:52 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I'm posting this here mainly because I use my e-bike mostly for my 30-mile round trip commute, but I'm not sure if this is the best place, so here goes.

I bought this Serfas saddle a few years ago after using it on a cycling city tours bicycle (basically a rented bicycle) for a 15-ish mile guided city tour. It seemed pretty comfy on the hybrid bike it was mounted to. So I bought one for my commuter bicycle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However some time later I built up my custom e-bike commuter/utility bicycle, in more of a "Dutch inspired" fashion, with upright riding posture, double kick stand, steering stabilizer spring, etc. I never wear bike shorts with this bicycle, and I use it primarily for commuting and groceries/errands around town. After 10-12 miles of riding, the saddle starts to get painful. I figured with the upright posture, the "convex" shape of the saddle probably isn't what I should be using, and instead I should have more of a "concave" saddle such as the wide Brooks B67 saddle, or similar. Also the e-bike has no suspension at all other than 2.15" Big Apple tires, so I'd like to add some springs under the saddle.

Would the B67 saddle be appropriate for this upright riding, without getting painful after 10 miles, while wearing "normal" clothing? That's really what I'm after with this bicycle - more comfort with regular clothing. I don't need 50-60 mile comfort as with a true touring bicycle, but 30 miles in relative comfort would be nice.
Old 12-31-18, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stylistically, Maybe..

Maybe you'd like the spring frame version .. https://www.brooksengland.com/en_row...s/leather.html but you are the one sitting on it , not me..
C 19 allweather can get wet repeatedly with no effect
Bike saddles wear out clothing where you sit on them , synthetics last longer than natural fabrics..

planning a chain guard for keeping your pants leg un damaged?

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-31-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 12:19 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BodyFloat

Just ordered a Kinekt bodyfloat suspension seat post that I hope helps with my 30 mile commute. I love my new ebike but the ride is kinda harsh. Did 20 miles on it last night and could definitely feel every bump in the road. At least it came with a wide saddle. The stock suspension seat post is garbage. I tried a brooks sprung saddle but I felt unstable on it and it had an annoying squeak.
Old 12-31-18, 09:27 PM
DeanSams

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went with a brook saddle flyer and never looked back.
Old 01-01-19, 12:30 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DeanSams
I went with a brook saddle flyer and never looked back.
I read other posts saying the Flyer is better for bikes where you lean forward somewhat, as opposed to upright. Are you upright on the Flyer?
Old 01-01-19, 07:00 AM
DeanSams

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

I read other posts saying the Flyer is better for bikes where you lean forward somewhat, as opposed to upright. Are you upright on the Flyer?
that is interesting, yes I was in an upright position. The bike it was installed on was a IZIP dash E3 ebike. Which is a mountain bike style geometry frame.
Old 01-01-19, 11:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

I have been riding and commuting upright on a B66 saddle for over 40 years. It's shape and spring action are identical to the B67. I highly recommend the B66 or B67, whichever fits on your seatpost.