Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Di2 Wireless Unit feedback

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Di2 Wireless Unit feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 08:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Di2 is fine in wet and muddy conditions. In fact, it probably works better (more reliable) than mechanical in those settings.

in my estimation, the D-fly Bluetooth unit is a “must-have“ for Di2. It costs so little and gives you so much additional functionality.
Originally Posted by Troul
didn't work well in the water/mud zones, but ymmv.
Please tell us about your experience…Even if it is anecdotal, I’d like to hear it.
Old 05-28-20, 08:11 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
To me, the big advantages are control of screens with the top buttons, seeing the actual battery level of the Di2, and seeing the gears that I'm in. I wish Shimano would have built in the connectivity, but at $75 plus the cost of a cable, it's worth it to me.
That's pretty much the one reason I want the unit. I checked my Di2 yesterday and I have a flashing green light. I'd much prefer to know the exact battery level as opposed to taking my best guess.
Old 05-28-20, 09:23 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
To me, the big advantages are control of screens with the top buttons, seeing the actual battery level of the Di2, and seeing the gears that I'm in.
I forgot buttons, battery and gear indicator functions were part of the D-Fly. Even more reason to get one. I use these features every ride. Check the battery level at least once and continuously monitor the gear position on my Edge 830 main screen. I'd get it just for that.
Old 05-28-20, 10:36 AM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
To me, the big advantages are control of screens with the top buttons, seeing the actual battery level of the Di2, and seeing the gears that I'm in. I wish Shimano would have built in the connectivity, but at $75 plus the cost of a cable, it's worth it to me.
Agree completely. I've two pages on my Garmin 530, just for pre-ride status check and curiosity. Having the buttons setup for screens make this a quick check-and-forget.

Battery, GPS, lights, time, vehicles

Di2 shift & gearing info
Old 05-28-20, 10:41 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
That's pretty much the one reason I want the unit. I checked my Di2 yesterday and I have a flashing green light. I'd much prefer to know the exact battery level as opposed to taking my best guess.
And not to mention you can adjust the shift mode and get a display of the derailleur adjustments as you are doing this. Really like being able to flip through the Garmin screens without leaving the hood - I have my right set to advance forward with a click and backwards with a double click.
Old 05-28-20, 11:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
And not to mention you can adjust the shift mode and get a display of the derailleur adjustments as you are doing this. Really like being able to flip through the Garmin screens without leaving the hood - I have my right set to advance forward with a click and backwards with a double click.
So, I've gotta know: what does your left button do, then?
Old 05-28-20, 01:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
See my post above. If you have the shop install the XT display, in place of the A Junction and wireless unit, not only do you save $85, but the display unit shows you what gears you are in, and that's actually more useful then you can imagine, but you also get a battery level display. Only downside is it takes up some space on the handlebar.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../SC-MT800.html
Old 05-28-20, 02:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
So, I've gotta know: what does your left button do, then?
Currently navigation,
Old 05-28-20, 03:00 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I have my BT unit in line with my battery wire. With a seat post mounted battery all I need to do is remove my seat post and disconnect the BT unit if it actually does fail.

I'm still working with my set up and trying to get used to the app. So far all I needed it for was the initial set up. Still need to pair it with my garmin but the data it provides looks pretty slick.
Old 05-28-20, 03:43 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Mine also resides in the seatpost for the last 9 months and never had a problem with it. Once during an indoor ride, it dropped connection long enough for me to notice.

no new firmware releases since the time I got it, so never updated the firmware with it, but I believe the initial wireless updates bricking the Di2 issues were resolved with an app update.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 05-28-20, 03:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Mine also resides in the seatpost for the last 9 months and never had a problem with it. Once during an indoor ride, it dropped connection long enough for me to notice.

no new firmware releases since the time I got it, so never updated the firmware with it, but I believe the initial wireless updates bricking the Di2 issues were resolved with an app update.
I think this is correct. I just installed an XT Di2 ssytem, it INSISTED I had to use the mobile version in order to check and update the units. It would not do this on the PC link. It still failed 4 times before the 5th try worked, so clearly Shimano hasn't perfected this as yet and is the reason I don;t muck with my road system, it works so am leaving it alone.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-31-20, 08:01 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
See my post above. If you have the shop install the XT display, in place of the A Junction and wireless unit, not only do you save $85, but the display unit shows you what gears you are in, and that's actually more useful then you can imagine, but you also get a battery level display. Only downside is it takes up some space on the handlebar.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../SC-MT800.html
I think the SC-MT800 is OK. I have one on my road bike right now, bought that to help someone who had problems installing theirs.

What it does nicely is beep one gear before the front derailleur shifts automatically (full-synchro mode). It also beeps when you're at either end of the cassette, indicating that there is no more gears for you to shift .
The default "display time" of 5 seconds is a bit short - basically the display switches off after five seconds of 'inactivity', and only turns back on when you press a shifter button (or the button on the display). So while it does display the current gear, I never look at that because well.. the display is either always switched off or I have shifted less than 5 seconds ago

I do like the button - I find it easier to change shift mode on this than on my SM-EW90-A.
There is an EW-RS910 bar-end junction in the shed, I'll install that on my new frame next month.. This SC-MT800 will probably stay on the older / second bike, because I only have one EW-WU111. I do prefer the EW-WU111 on my main bike, it just looks a bit cleaner (if you hide it in either handlebars/frame - while not supported by Shimano it usually works just fine).

And yeah.. once you get past the EW-WU111 initial firmware update it should work just fine. Like others have said, just don't forget to "disconnect" the app .
There are units out there with updated firmware on them as far as I know, but also plenty with the original firmware.
Old 05-31-20, 09:18 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
I
The default "display time" of 5 seconds is a bit short - basically the display switches off after five seconds of 'inactivity', and only turns back on when you press a shifter button (or the button on the display). So while it does display the current gear, I never look at that because well.. the display is either always switched off or I have shifted less than 5 seconds ago
Yes, noticed that about the time out. I’ll have to check to see if there’s an “always on” setting, that would be more useful as you want to know before the shift what cog you’re on. At least on a road bike maybe. I get this gear display on my Garmin, it’s really really useful.
Old 06-05-20, 12:02 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

I finally took the time to pair and set up my Di2 BT unit and my Garmin 530. I can't seem to figure out how to view or analyze the data after my ride. I can see the live display during the ride but does either Garmin or Strava record that data for viewing and analysis? I'm using the Garmin connect app and strava app for Android.

My google search results just pull up many other people asking the same question with no real answer either way. I thought someone here may be able to set me straight. Thanks.
Old 06-05-20, 12:35 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
They do record it in the .fit file (Garmin), but Strava don't do anything with it.
Wahoo displays shifting information in their ELEMNT app, but I don't think Garmin does.

However, you can upload the .fit file to either Di2stats.com or SRAM AXS Web (yes, it works with Di2).
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 06-05-20, 12:42 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

They do record it in the .fit file (Garmin), but Strava don't do anything with it.
Wahoo displays shifting information in their ELEMNT app, but I don't think Garmin does.

However, you can upload the .fit file to either Di2stats.com or SRAM AXS Web (yes, it works with Di2).
Thanks Terry.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 09-29-20, 03:07 AM
Gride

Bikes: Santana Beyond PHD DA/ XTR Di2, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DA Mech (Canyon refused valid warranty claim), 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7 12 spd DA, 2022 No.22 Drifter X 12spd DA, Budnitz Alpha- Gates belt-Alfine internal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
responding to Terry & Steve B. posts re SC-MT800 : "The default "display time" of 5 seconds is a bit short - basically the display switches off after five seconds of 'inactivity'"

I had the same experience with the 5 second display timeout. 5 sec is just too short of time, I often looked down too late to see what gear I shifted to. I was able to change the settings to 10 seconds and it now seems just right. No noticeable downside like using battery too quickly.

Last edited by Gride; 09-29-20 at 03:12 AM. Reason: updating
Old 09-29-20, 05:20 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
...I don't think Garmin does.

I've never been able to figure out how to view the Di2 data in the Garmin mobile app (iOS). You can see it if you go to a full browser and open Connect, and then view the ride activity that way. The only data it shows is f/r shift counts. The data is much more useful in Di2stats.com because it overlays it with our useful data like power and GPS.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-29-20, 09:04 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Old thread I know,

But I have never had an issue with mine. Also never had an issue updating via my phone. I also recommend the EW-WU111 because it is more streamlined and fits nicely by my junction box under my bars right under my computer.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-29-20, 05:25 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
I just got the EW-WU111 and haven't been able to get it to pair with my phone properly so far. I'm going to play with it again tonight but not feeling especially hopeful.

Old 09-29-20, 05:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I just got the EW-WU111 and haven't been able to get it to pair with my phone properly so far. I'm going to play with it again tonight but not feeling especially hopeful.
What phone do you have? I think since it uses BTLE, on Android at least you need location turned on as well as Bluetooth.
Old 09-29-20, 06:29 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
What phone do you have? I think since it uses BTLE, on Android at least you need location turned on as well as Bluetooth.
I'm using an iPhone XS. It claimed it paired and then lost the BT connection while updating. Now, the iphone swears it's connected and paired but the gizmo wants to -pair and the phone refuses. I've told the phone to forget and start over, even rebooted the phone but both units are being stubborn. I'm going to retry tonight.

Old 09-29-20, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I have never had a shut down or any problems caused by the wireless unit but honestly it doesn't always work as intended which sucks the big one. Granted I have mind in my frame and the frame is titanium so that could cause it problems.

I might redo some wiring anyway as I am going to the bar end junction A box so I might play around with the placement of the wireless unit and see if I can get it elsewhere and have it work.
Old 09-29-20, 10:35 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have never had a shut down or any problems caused by the wireless unit but honestly it doesn't always work as intended which sucks the big one. Granted I have mind in my frame and the frame is titanium so that could cause it problems.

I might redo some wiring anyway as I am going to the bar end junction A box so I might play around with the placement of the wireless unit and see if I can get it elsewhere and have it work.
My bike shop wired it inside the stem so it's no more than a couple inches away from my computer. They were very hesitant to put it anywhere further than the handlebars given the low power of the wireless signal it uses.

So far, it has worked like a charm. Definitely a "nice to have" but really do love the added functionality.
Old 09-29-20, 11:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have a 2014 Ultegra 11-speed Di2 system. It was the first to have hydraulic brakes. Is it too old to use this? I know the levers don't have the hidden buttons. Also, I have a 46/30T crank. Will the gear numbering get screwed up, or does it allow input with non-Ultegra chainrings?

Also, early on I heard it caused significant battery drain, but in another thread several people said that was false, or at least no longer is the case. Any issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.