Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

How possible- 2 brake levers on 1 handle

Old 03-29-20, 06:26 PM
BikePun

Bikes: Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How possible- 2 brake levers on 1 handle

I have a distal phalanx amputation of my middle & pinky finger on my left hand. Aka those two are stumpy, and near useless for and-of-finger gripping like for a brake lever. The only finger I can get around the brake lever is my pointer, and juust barely a very weakened ring finger.

Since it's my left hand it's not too dangerous to ride, since the back does 90+%, but I'd like to be able to use both if necessary.

So, in order to be able to safely & effectively put enough pressure on my front brakes (rim-brake), I think I have 2 options- 1) double up brake levers so my right hand can use both 2) rig a hydraulic set-up got the front brake only do the weaker grab is multiplied into effectiveness. I'm riding an old Peugeot with a Suntour friction shift so luckily I don't have to worry about the shifter and a double brake cluttering the right handlebar.

Anyone do anything like this or want to tell me I'm crazy for trying?
Old 03-29-20, 06:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
One misconception you have is that the front does less braking, it actually does more just like your car. Converting your current bike to hydraulic would be extremely difficult, there are road hydraulic that might be able to be made to work and would work fine with one finger pulling, that's actually the upside of hydraulic but it will be expensive and requiring someone who really knows what there doing to determine if it can be done.
Your other idea is quite common both with tandems which might have it set up with a drag brake and with brake levers for people with can't use one side. Won't take much of a search to find them. Just set the front brake to catch slightly before the rear or youll skid out too much.
Old 03-30-20, 05:04 AM
gixer

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX7 (09), Diamond Back Axis TT (94)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Been riding with 2 brake levers on the same side for over 10 years, works great

My left arm is paralysed, experimented a fair bit with different setup's, but this still works best

Also run this setup on my other bike with V-brakes, more power needed through the brake lever so a bit tough on long downhills, but again works great
Likes For gixer:
Old 03-30-20, 07:56 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Dia-Compe has several double cable levers.
  • TECH-77W
  • 282W , the 77W with a slightly longer handle
  • 182s-zw , same as above but with thumb-lock stopper
  • 282SW , the long-pull version of the 282W for V-brakes
I have a friend with a very similar condition and she uses a lever like this on her MTB.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-30-20, 08:48 AM
gixer

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX7 (09), Diamond Back Axis TT (94)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The problem i found with having 1 lever do both brakes is that your brakes are only as good as the first wheel that locks up

Going around a corner on a wet downhill you really really don't want that rear wheel to lock up
If both breaks are connected you can't feather each individual brake, so it's a massive reduction in braking performance

I went with the dual levers as i had too many crashes with combining both brakes into 1 lever

With the 2 lever setup i use it as shown in the first pic
Takes some hours to learn, but once you have i can feather and modulate each brake to the point just before lock up
Likes For gixer:
Old 03-30-20, 03:20 PM
BikePun

Bikes: Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the help, especially gixer , it's good to see someone else has accomplished what I've been thinking of.
While the double pullers look interesting I think I'd rather be able to work either independently.
Old 04-13-20, 03:28 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
My Daughter was born with a short arm, missing just below the elbow, She uses a dual brake system on the right for both brakes. It works very well.

Here is a manufacturer that makes dual hydraulic brake levers that while mounted together work separately and also a splitter to run 2 hydraulic brakes with one lever.
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/25/hop...-uno-does-too/

Last edited by bwilli88; 04-13-20 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 02:10 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Why not quality dual pivots. Combine with a 1 finger brake lever for that side and you'd probably get what you need. I think I may have one in the stash.
Old 05-30-20, 08:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
There are 2 cable brake levers for tandems , have been for decades..

Old 05-30-20, 08:33 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Tektro do a dual hydraulic brake, but only one lever. Twin piston front and sinlge piston rear, I assume that handles the different braking forces needed.