Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 06:41 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon & 2020 Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 28 Posts
Well, I was hoping to join the Sirrus family but not sure what's going to happen now. I ordered a Sirrus 6.0 in Large on May 12th from www.specialized.com to be sent to my LBS and received my confirmation email right away and was really excited. A few days later I logged onto my account on www.specialized.com to check my order status but it wasn't showing anything so I emailed their customer support to check on the order and make sure it was going okay. They replied and said "Hello! Thanks for reaching out. It appears that you may not have been signed into your account when you made your purchase. You made your order as a guest, so it will not appear on your account, and unfortunately, we do not have a way of transferring that purchase to your account. I checked your order number and everything else appears to be fine. Please be aware that due to challenges related to COVID-19, we are experiencing 8-10 day delays in shipping. Your order has been processed and is awaiting shipping. In order to protect customers from fraud or theft, we do not supply tracking numbers with orders, but we are making an effort to get your order to you as quickly as possible. I apologize for the wait and inconvenience."

I figured everything was okay, and like they said I probably ordered as a guest before I created my account at the end of the process. Well today I get an automated email saying there was a problem with my order and it has been canceled but didn't really specify why, it was a default email with multiple reasons why it could have been canceled and said to contact them for more info. I emailed them and the received a response a few hours later of "Hello, I looked into your order and it appears that it was flagged for fraud precautions and cancelled by our automated web security program. I am very sorry for this inconvenience and frustration. If you place the order again, and respond to me with the order number, I can look into it myself and release any holds, if necessary. Another course of action that could work to avoid this issue again would be to place the order directly through a Specialized dealer. Again, I apologize for this issue."

The issue is they are now sold out of Large on their website and so I asked them about that I was told "We are out of stock at this time. It looks like our next shipment is due in late May/early June. It may be worth reaching out to your retailer to see if they can pre-order you one. Again, I am very sorry for the frustration.".

I did go to my LBS website and placed an order for a Large because it reported it in stock but I have my doubts about their website because 2 weeks ago I tried to purchase a Specialized 2019 Sirrus Expert Carbon they had listed at a $400 discount and a week later I got an email from them saying it was out of stock and my order was canceled! What is crazy is the bike is still listed on their website as in stock with the $400 discount still even though I received their cancelation email saying that it was no longer available on May 7th! I even responded right away asking for alternatives and they didn't respond until 8 days later just saying "Thanks for the email and sorry for the issues. We do have some 2020 Sirrus models available". I just don't get why there seems to be such bad e-commerce sites and horrible communication when I'm trying to spend over $2,000 on a bike and nobody seems to want to take my money or even offer me to help me out!

Sorry for the rant, it is just frustrating
Old 05-18-20, 08:29 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Anyone know if 700 x 45 tires fit on a 2019 Sirrus Elite Carbon?
Extremely unlikely. I have a '19 Sirrus X Comp carbon (now the X 5.0 -- same frameset). 38s are stock. There is not an awful lot of clearance above that, and the 'X' frameset may ( I don't know) have slightly more clearance than the front-derailleur framesets (non-X).

I do know that one poster in this thread fit 42s to an X frameset; there are pics if you look through the thread. Clearance is very tight with that width. 45s would, if they fit at all, be silly-close clearance. If you want a bike that fits 45s, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 05-19-20, 07:37 AM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Hey all. Looking for some help on wheel upgrades to my 2019 Sirrus Sport. I've got 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons on the stock rims and am pretty happy but upgrades are fun right?

Not looking to break the bank by spending $800-$1000+ on a new wheelset. What I'd like to accomplish is creating two wheelsets, one with the 28's I currently have and another with larger tires for cruising around with the family or riding gravel. I thought about just buying new tires but the conti's are just a pain to take off the rim and again UPGRADES :-)

Right now I'm going through two chains of thought. First is to pick up something fast and aero and put the 28's on that and then use the stock rims with the larger tires. I just haven't had much luck finding anything in my budget that has a QR hub and disc brakes. Which brings me to option 2. Looks like it may be easier to find a set of 27.5 or 29 mountain bike wheelset and go that route with the wider tires and just keep the Conti's where they are.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-20, 03:15 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
For those who were wondering on tire width.

Had a set of 40mm Kendas lying around the garage and thought I’d throw them on the stock rims from my 2019 Sirrus Sport.

I doubt you could fit a 42mm and you’d certainly have problems running fenders with 40s

Old 05-20-20, 02:39 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
Hey all. Looking for some help on wheel upgrades to my 2019 Sirrus Sport. I've got 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons on the stock rims and am pretty happy but upgrades are fun right?

Not looking to break the bank by spending $800-$1000+ on a new wheelset. What I'd like to accomplish is creating two wheelsets, one with the 28's I currently have and another with larger tires for cruising around with the family or riding gravel. I thought about just buying new tires but the conti's are just a pain to take off the rim and again UPGRADES :-)

Right now I'm going through two chains of thought. First is to pick up something fast and aero and put the 28's on that and then use the stock rims with the larger tires. I just haven't had much luck finding anything in my budget that has a QR hub and disc brakes. Which brings me to option 2. Looks like it may be easier to find a set of 27.5 or 29 mountain bike wheelset and go that route with the wider tires and just keep the Conti's where they are.

Any thoughts?
Many wheels have end caps that can be swapped out for QR compatibility. A few good value ones are Fulcrum Rapid Red 5DB, and Easton EA70AX.

For overall flexibility, I would probably choose the Fulcrums if the Eastons use hookless rims.
Old 05-22-20, 12:51 PM
Rae_

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If all goes well, I'll be picking up a 2015 Sirrus Carbon Pro today. Has anyone experienced any issues with carbon fibre degrading over the years?
Old 05-24-20, 02:58 PM
sorenlind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SP Connect Bike Bundle on Sirrus X 5.0

Hi,

I’m new here but hoping you can help. I just bought a Sirrus X 5.0. I’d like to mount my iPhone on it so I find a case and mount called “SP Connect Bike Bundle”. (I would post a link but am not allowed to). It looks nice because you can either place it on the stem or take off the top cap and mount it where the top cap was. But I’m not sure either place works on the X 5.0. For the first, I’m concerned that the stem on the X 5.0 is square (sort of) as opposed to round. And for the second method, I’m confused because the X 5.0 doesn’t seem to have a top cap with a hole for a screw, it’s just a cap that fully closes off everything.

So my question is, can anyone tell me if the “SP Connect Bike Bundle” will fit on the Sirrus X 5.0?

I would attach a couple of photos but seems I’m not allowed to - please correct me if I’m wrong 😊.

Last edited by sorenlind; 05-25-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 07:40 PM
Aristokrata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BruceA78
I figured everything was okay, and like they said I probably ordered as a guest before I created my account at the end of the process. Well today I get an automated email saying there was a problem with my order and it has been canceled but didn't really specify why, it was a default email with multiple reasons why it could have been canceled and said to contact them for more info.
I'd be willing to bet, with all the articles saying there is an extreme bike shortage going on right now, that they promised more orders than they could deliver. I assure, they know exactly why any orders get denied. It was just an excuse instead of replying, "yes, we took your money and couldn't deliver". Use this number here to reach them.
1 (877) 808-8154

However, I would like to say I did take delivery of my Sirrus 6.0 a few days ago. Great F'ing bike! 21 lbs. Great riding position. Be glad your order did not go through, because they are now offering a 15% discount. Would have saved me damn near $400. Shoot. Missed it by a few days damnit. All you have to do is go to their website and sign up for emailing to get coupon. If I could start my order over, I would.
Old 05-28-20, 08:05 AM
Jaforres

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aristokrata
I'd be willing to bet, with all the articles saying there is an extreme bike shortage going on right now, that they promised more orders than they could deliver. I assure, they know exactly why any orders get denied. It was just an excuse instead of replying, "yes, we took your money and couldn't deliver". Use this number here to reach them.
1 (877) 808-8154

However, I would like to say I did take delivery of my Sirrus 6.0 a few days ago. Great F'ing bike! 21 lbs. Great riding position. Be glad your order did not go through, because they are now offering a 15% discount. Would have saved me damn near $400. Shoot. Missed it by a few days damnit. All you have to do is go to their website and sign up for emailing to get coupon. If I could start my order over, I would.
When I tried to use that discount it stated it did not apply to bikes, but maybe I was doing something wrong.

-J
Old 05-29-20, 05:40 PM
sv102

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m in the process of purchasing 2020 Sirrus X 3.0, but cannot decide on the frame size. I’m 5-10 with 31 inseam. Specialized site recommends L, but when looking at the geometry, M seems like a better fit. Especially the bike standover height on Large seems really high (815mm). Due to current situation, I’m not able to test ride the bikes, and limited to an online purchase.
Any advice?
Old 05-29-20, 08:15 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sv102
I’m in the process of purchasing 2020 Sirrus X 3.0, but cannot decide on the frame size. I’m 5-10 with 31 inseam. Specialized site recommends L, but when looking at the geometry, M seems like a better fit. Especially the bike standover height on Large seems really high (815mm). Due to current situation, I’m not able to test ride the bikes, and limited to an online purchase.
Any advice?
My summary recommend is to go with the Medium, but read on and see what you can learn / benefit from my recent experience.
I just bought two Sirrus X4s and two Sirrus X3s, so I've had a lot of sizing / handling recently on these models and I can advise that their sizing runs a little bit large.

My son is just a hair under 6 feet tall, with an inseam of 31.5 inches and I bought him a Large. If he was ANY smaller, he would not fit the Large. I was considering sizing him down to a Medium, but he cleared the Large frame in a standover wearing flats / sneakers, and the cockpit reach is easy / natural for him . . . also he's 14, so he's growing further into the Large sizing as we go forward. I did not want him outgrowing a Medium in a year, and I'm looking for another $1500 bike next summer.

And I bought myself a Small after sizing and riding both a Small and a Medium. I'm only 5'6", and the Specialized sizing chart places me in a Medium, but I rode the two sizes on consecutive days and it was a big difference / easy choice for me to chose the Small.

As far as your option for return goes (if you reconsider after receiving the bike), of course ask your store location if they have any special terms changing the return policies during the virus. I learned in purchasing through Specialized website as Click-and-Collect where they ship your bikes to a Specialized retailer you select, that Specialized has 30 days no-questions return on Click-and-Collect HOWEVER one local bike ship I was considering as the destination is not allowing ANY bike returns right now, I guess it's to do with risk of infection etc. I verified another retailer who had no such restrictions on their current return policy, and I selected that shop for the click-and-collect. We've had no issues yet on any of the 4 bikes.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 05-29-20, 08:21 PM
sv102

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
My summary recommend is to go with the Medium, but read on and see what you can learn / benefit from my recent experience.
I just bought two Sirrus X4s and two Sirrus X3s, so I've had a lot of sizing / handling recently on these models and I can advise that their sizing runs a little bit large.

My son is just a hair under 6 feet tall, with an inseam of 31.5 inches and I bought him a Large. If he was ANY smaller, he would not fit the Large. I was considering sizing him down to a Medium, but he cleared the Large frame in a standover wearing flats / sneakers, and the cockpit reach is easy / natural for him . . . also he's 14, so he's growing further into the Large sizing as we go forward. I did not want him outgrowing a Medium in a year, and I'm looking for another $1500 bike next summer.

And I bought myself a Small after sizing and riding both a Small and a Medium. I'm only 5'6", and the Specialized sizing chart places me in a Medium, but I rode the two sizes on consecutive days and it was a big difference / easy choice for me to chose the Small.

As far as your option for return goes (if you reconsider after receiving the bike), of course ask your store location if they have any special terms changing the return policies during the virus. I learned in purchasing through Specialized website as Click-and-Collect where they ship your bikes to a Specialized retailer you select, that Specialized has 30 days no-questions return on Click-and-Collect HOWEVER one local bike ship I was considering as the destination is not allowing ANY bike returns right now, I guess it's to do with risk of infection etc. I verified another retailer who had no such restrictions on their current return policy, and I selected that shop for the click-and-collect. We've had no issues yet on any of the 4 bikes.
Great insight! Thank you.
Old 05-29-20, 11:18 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any advice?
I will back up what the previous guy said. 100% go for a medium in the Sirrus. I am the minimum to ride a medium. I just took delivery of the Sirrus 6.0. I have a 30" inseam at 5'8" tall, the shop decided that work best on a medium after measuring and pedaling. I can flatfoot, but with zero clearance on the top tube. I'd say the medium frame "comfortably" starts at 31" inseam, and is perfectly suited for a 32" inseam guy.
Old 05-29-20, 11:22 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Likes For Aristokrata:
Old 05-30-20, 09:00 AM
TigerG

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi

Hope someone can help me with this one please, and apologies in advance, as the explanation is going to be ***** as I don't know the technical name for the parts??

While giving my 2018 Expert Carbon rear wheel and cassette a good clean, the (I don't even know the technical term for it) hub axle (??) screw-in thingy fell off (see pic) (EDIT: END CAP) on the brake disc side . I have no idea how tight it's supposed to be, if you just nip it up by hand, or you need a spanner on it, so any advice would be welcome. All I can assume is that if it fell off, it was never tight in the first place and explains why the axle bolt never looked fully home on the bike.

What I will say is, and why I'm asking how tight it should be, is when I nip it up by hand and put the wheel back on the bike the free hub doesn't sound like it did before this happened. It doesn't sound as "clicky" ?? This makes me think I've over tightened it, and it should be more loose. And when I put the wheel back on the bike and tighten the through axle, there seems to be a bit of friction slowing the wheel more quickly than you would think it should. The wheel is an Axis Expert, and I can't find any info on Youtube or the net on how to service it.

Any advice and correct naming of parts would be warmly welcomed

Cheers,
Graeme.

Last edited by TigerG; 05-31-20 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 02:17 PM
sorenlind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any advice?
I was in the same situation (except I was purchasing an X 5.0). I could not make sense of the standover heights on the website (and still can't). I e-mailed Specialized about it but after more than three weeks they still haven't replied. I called a few different bike shops and the closest bike I could find anyone had in stock was a Sirrus Sport size L. So they kindly measured that for me. According to them it's 76 cm over the crank. In the meantime I got my Sirrus X 5.0 size L and I measured it this evening. It's really hard to measure as the top tube is sloping but according to my measurements it's 78.5 cm over the crank. But I can't speak as to whether the X 3.0 has exactly the same height. For what it's worth I'm 183.5 cm.
Old 05-30-20, 09:14 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sorenlind
Hi,

I’m new here but hoping you can help. I just bought a Sirrus X 5.0. I’d like to mount my iPhone on it so I find a case and mount called “SP Connect Bike Bundle”. (I would post a link but am not allowed to). It looks nice because you can either place it on the stem or take off the top cap and mount it where the top cap was. But I’m not sure either place works on the X 5.0. For the first, I’m concerned that the stem on the X 5.0 is square (sort of) as opposed to round. And for the second method, I’m confused because the X 5.0 doesn’t seem to have a top cap with a hole for a screw, it’s just a cap that fully closes off everything.

So my question is, can anyone tell me if the “SP Connect Bike Bundle” will fit on the Sirrus X 5.0?

I would attach a couple of photos but seems I’m not allowed to - please correct me if I’m wrong 😊.
I have the same question - I've loosened both pinch bolts on the stem, and can't seem to get the cap off. None of the Future Shock videos or Specialized documentation I've seen show this part of the disassembly process, so I'm perplexed. I'm going to try and disassemble my girlfriends X 4.0 and see if it'll come off.
Old 05-31-20, 01:23 AM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TigerG
...Any advice and correct naming of parts would be warmly welcomed
Originally Posted by Skiddz
I have the same question ...
My assumption, you will find majority owners here. Specialized started using a lot of newer parts since 2015+. I'm not saying anyone doesn't know. I am saying you will get a speedy ass answer by taking that picture or uploading a YouTube video and sending it to a numerous different bike shops that build Specialized bikes before selling them. The mechanic or owner will assume you're a regular and get back fast. I know because I already did this about my Future shock. They all got back within a day, had tons of information to draw from. I emailed 4 shops in Ga, and 2 in California.

use the Find a dealer off the website.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/store-finder

Originally Posted by Jaforres
...to use that discount it stated it did not apply to bikes...
Yea, I didn't read the stupid fine print, sorry about that. A bike shop...with no discount for bikes... hilarious. I'm pretty uninterested in saving 15% on a $12 light reflector, in trade for spamming emails I have to dig out of my inbox.
Old 05-31-20, 02:42 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aristokrata
My assumption, you will find majority owners here. Specialized started using a lot of newer parts since 2015+. I'm not saying anyone doesn't know. I am saying you will get a speedy ass answer by taking that picture or uploading a YouTube video and sending it to a numerous different bike shops that build Specialized bikes before selling them. The mechanic or owner will assume you're a regular and get back fast. I know because I already did this about my Future shock. They all got back within a day, had tons of information to draw from. I emailed 4 shops in Ga, and 2 in California.

use the Find a dealer off the website.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/store-finder
That's one way that would take a while for a reply.

Or how about's......and I know this may sound crazy........on a FORUM (a place where like minded people are supposed to share knowledge, information, stories, HELP OTHERS, etc, etc) specifically for people with Sirrus bikes, someone with a 2018 Expert Carbon with Axis Expert wheels takes their rear wheel off and quickly tells me whether the end cap on the disc side is supposed to be loose, finger tight, or spanner tight ?? . It would literally take 10 minutes to do ??

I'm on lots of forums, a couple where I am so knowledgeable about the subject matter, I go out of my way to help people, to the point where I've stripped parts of my motorcycle down just to post some pics to help others asking. Doesn't seem to happen on here now does it ??

Last edited by TigerG; 05-31-20 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 12:28 PM
Jaforres

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha. It appears we went through a similar reaction. How in the world can a bike shop offer discount prominently on their main page only to not apply to bikes? Ah well, I am still enjoying the Sirrus 6.0 even without the 15%

-J
Old 05-31-20, 08:49 PM
brucenie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerG
That's one way that would take a while for a reply.

Or how about's......and I know this may sound crazy........on a FORUM (a place where like minded people are supposed to share knowledge, information, stories, HELP OTHERS, etc, etc) specifically for people with Sirrus bikes, someone with a 2018 Expert Carbon with Axis Expert wheels takes their rear wheel off and quickly tells me whether the end cap on the disc side is supposed to be loose, finger tight, or spanner tight ?? . It would literally take 10 minutes to do ??

I'm on lots of forums, a couple where I am so knowledgeable about the subject matter, I go out of my way to help people, to the point where I've stripped parts of my motorcycle down just to post some pics to help others asking. Doesn't seem to happen on here now does it ??
Yes, it's a bit discouraging, but the forum is lightly visited. I also have the Axis axle system on my Sirrus, not very happy with it.
The spacer (it's threaded, but really just a spacer) needs to be snug but not tight., this keeps the pressure from the thru axle from pressing on the bearings.
Setting this up is a matter of practice, but it's not hard. IMHO the AXIS axle system is not Specialized worthy.
Old 06-01-20, 12:45 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brucenie
Yes, it's a bit discouraging, but the forum is lightly visited. I also have the Axis axle system on my Sirrus, not very happy with it.
The spacer (it's threaded, but really just a spacer) needs to be snug but not tight., this keeps the pressure from the thru axle from pressing on the bearings.
Setting this up is a matter of practice, but it's not hard. IMHO the AXIS axle system is not Specialized worthy.
Thanks for the reply

I'm a bit disappointed with the Axis system too. On the cassette side, one of the locking nuts keeping the freehub on was snapped !! . I spend hours yesterday trying to find a replacement locking nut on the net, with no joy. Hopefully my LBS has one.
Old 06-01-20, 08:23 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brucenie
Yes, it's a bit discouraging, but the forum is lightly visited....
Well, I had actually taken his picture and emailed my bike dealer the first day and got a reply few hours later; the information just appeared very unwanted when I came back to post it.
Old 06-03-20, 02:57 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just for info, and in case it helps anyone else in the same position in the future (because that's what forums are for ), the wheel is back on the bike. I got a locking nut from my LBS to replace the one that was snapped in two on the free hub. I greased the bearings in there, and tightened it up to what "feels" right. Not an easy thing to do, and something that took a bit of fine tuning. I nipped the disc side end cap up finger tight and hoped for the best. One thing I did do was to grease the pawls inside the free hub, but found that it wouldn't spin freely as the grease was creating too much friction. So I removed the grease and used some light oil instead. That seemed to do the trick and the hub spins ok now. 30 miles later and all seems well
Old 06-07-20, 12:08 AM
vincesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful Sirrus 6.0. As for future shock, do you know whether the 6.0 comes with Future Shock 1.0 or a later version?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.