Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 - Bike Profiles

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 09:45 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but I want to see if anyone has figured out a way to do it/a work-around.

Is there a way to set 2 different bike profiles up that use the same sensors (cadence/speed)?

When I move my computer between bikes the sensors go with the computer. I don't have 2 sets of sensors.

It appears the set up for the speed cal is in the sensor registration with the device.

One bike is a 700c and the other is a 20". So they obviously have very different cals. What I am after is an option to input the settings in a "profile" then pick the profile in the menu - just like I can do with the ride profiles and data screens.

The way I am doing it now is I have to sync the wheel speed sensor (IE - move the bike to turn it on when the computer is on so it syncs with the computer), then go in to the settings for the sensor, delete the wheel cal, then enter the new wheel cal. Just trying to eliminate the juggling..
Old 05-28-20, 02:02 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I think the sensors are profile agnostic (they are on the 1030, can't recall on the 1000). The device sees whether there's a sensor active or not and uses whatever is active. I would set the sensor to Automatic so it's not using a measurement calibration and instead will do the roll out automatic calibration each time it gets going.

Or why not just but another sensor ", PITA to move it.
Old 05-28-20, 02:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
The newer Garmins (including the 1000) put all the sensors in a pool shared across profiles.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Bd2K8sggJk4L56

Buy a cheap speed sensor.

I suspect not many people move sensors between bicycles.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-28-20, 02:42 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I would use “Automatically detect wheel size” option and get on with life.
Old 05-28-20, 06:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have a speed sensor that came from Amazon for about $20. It was a pain to get onto the hub and I wouldn't want to go through that regularly. I think it's pretty rare among cyclists to move sensors from bike to bike, and these things are programmed for common scenarios to make the most customers happy.