Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bushings for Tektro R200A

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-31-20, 12:53 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

I have an original set of Retroshifts, that are shift levers mounted on the arms of what i think are Tektro R200A levers. The plastic pivot bushings are worn out and there is a lot of side to side play in the levers. I was wondering if there was a source for parts for this generation Tektro lever, or would it be possible to buy one of the newer versions and canibilize the parts I need? Thanks
Old 05-31-20, 12:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Retroshift now call themselves Gevenalle. Why don't you contact them? https://www.gevenalle.com/support/ "Most of our products are serviceable and if destroyed can even be replaced at discounted fees (because we love you!)."
Old 05-31-20, 06:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
+1 on contacting Gevenalle for the maintenance parts. Their customer service is very good.

They are indeed Tekrto R200 (aka Cane Creek SCR-5) levers but Gevenalle claims they tighten up the tolerances for their application. You could buy a replacement set of the levers and swap the bushings over to your levers or buy a pack of thin shim washers and add them to the pivots to take up the slack.

I have these shifter, old enough to be labeled Retroshift, on two bikes and love them. So far the levers are still relatively free of play after 27,000+ miles on each bike.
Old 05-31-20, 07:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I run a self made mirror on my LH Ergo lever, since the mid 1990s. That side's lever bushings will have greater ware due to the weight of the mirror (not much but it does stick out 4"). In the beginning I sought out replacement lever pivot bushings and installed some after a few years on the various bikes I had. These days I don't bother and if the slight bump induced rattle (of the lever) gets to me I just place a finget on it and it's silent.

Some day I will make some brass bushings on my lathe... Andy
Old 06-07-20, 08:19 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Bumping to catch the weekend crowd. I sent Gevenalle an email and it's only been a couple days, but I'm pretty sure I sent them an email about this 6 months ago and never heard back. Being that I've taken 6 months to follow up during a pandemic, I aint judging...

So any one know?
Old 06-07-20, 08:27 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
^^^^^Give them a call. Probably quicker response. 503-512-9378
Old 06-07-20, 08:53 AM
bark_eater 

Tried to call enough times to figure out their not takeing calls. Tommorow I'll leave a voice mail to reinforce the email from last week. But thats not the only screen door for this bumble bee to bang his head on.....
Old 06-07-20, 12:02 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Recently saw some replacement lever bodies with new hoods on eBay. Would new bodies fix the problem?
Old 06-07-20, 02:39 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
The only thing that is modified are the lever blades. You could buy replacement levers and just move the blades and the proprietary bit over to the new levers.

Keep the springs from your old levers before you toss them.
Old 06-07-20, 02:48 PM
bark_eater 

There are 4 small bushings that are worn out. Swaping parts is the hope. The question is whether the old and new versions are actualy compatable. If I can't get an answer from the retroshift folks, it won't be that traumatic to order the newer generation levers to find out if I can use them as organ donors.

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-07-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:54 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The only thing that is modified are the lever blades. You could buy replacement levers and just move the blades and the proprietary bit over to the new levers.

Keep the springs from your old levers before you toss them.
Cool! Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-07-20, 11:16 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Check directly with Tektro - a few years ago one of the quick release tabs/pins fell out on one of my levers and I was able to find them on Tektro's site.
Old 06-08-20, 11:25 AM
bark_eater 

So I got a hold of the Gevenalle folks and their sending me out a set of their "up speced" bushings. They are dealing with logistical fall out from Covid, as suspected, so I will concur that they have great customer service. I also confirmed that the OEM bushings are swap-able, so I can go that route if the slow boat from China is delayed.