Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Yokota

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery Yokota

Old 03-31-19, 07:44 PM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Bikes: Various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yokota Catalogues

Originally Posted by Jharrington

John Harrington here, I took a quick look at my catalog collection and wouldn’t you know it 1989 is the one that I didn’t see. Can’t believe I have pretty much all other years but it must be buried. However it looks like the Ahwahnee model. That model was most likely spec'ed with Suntour Drive Train and not Shimano Biopace Chain Rings. Looking at the 1990 and 1991 catalogs it was always offered with Suntour XC. Nice equipment. If it had U-Brakes that might mean it was a smaller model as I tried to make the smallest frame size Icould and that meant that there wasn’t always clearance to have the normal cantilever brakes on the seat stays. If you need more information I can try and dig deeper, that was just a quick look through my archives, (Tupperware Box) of old catalogs. The Ahwahnee was a “Sport MTB” meaning nice for the better maintained fire roads or streets and such.

What year or years are you looking for? I most likely have several copies of most years, other that the 1989. If ImhaI have what you need I would be happy to mail them to you.
John
Old 03-31-19, 08:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Maybe here... bulgier.net - /pics/bike/catalogs/
Old 04-09-19, 07:31 PM
toasterbike

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Rockhopper GX, 1990 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What year or years are you looking for? I most likely have several copies of most years, other that the 1989. If ImhaI have what you need I would be happy to mail them to you.
John

Hi John,

Thanks for looking, I definitely didn't expect a response from the founder! The Ahwahnee looks like it'd be a great bike but the place we just moved into doesn't have a garage and unfortunately there's no room for another bike. Our current bikes are actually leaning outside against the wall. It's a huge shame but thankfully they're in the shade, fairly protected from rain, and the Florida weather here won't corrode them. I'll definitely have to stay vigilant on the maintenance though!

Thanks again,
-Paul O
Old 04-10-19, 10:08 PM
Unshore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm so glad this thread is still alive!

I found this thread years ago while I was searching for parts for my Legend. Thanks for all the info JHarrington, I love your bike! I've raced it and rode the heck out of it years ago, almost lost it in a move and resurrected if a few years ago and now I ride it for fun.

I'll post pics after I meet the post limit.
Old 08-02-19, 01:54 PM
j1mw3b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yokota Legend sale

I know this is a real long shot, but thought I would let folks know I am getting rid of my Yokota Legend.
I no longer ride it - maybe every couple months - gettin' old.
It's in decent rideable shape - maybe could use a good cleaning. I did replace the front derailleur with Shimano RX-105. Might still have the original derailleur.

Seat has a small rip - boutht a new one for my Cannondale MTB and put the Cannondale seat on the Yokota.
New tires - Hutchinson Equinox.
I'll even throw in the lights, computer, Zefal HPx X4 frame pump and even my Silca Presta pump (Yokota my only Presta bike).

Gonna ask $75 for it. But not gonna ship it.

If anyone knows of a bike enthusiast in South Florida (I'm in Boynton Beach) that wants this thing, let me know.

It has been a great bike - got it around 1987 new. Rides like the wind.
Will also try to sell locally on Craigslist
If not able to sell will find some college kid to give it to.

Forum won't let me post photos or even a shared photo link.
Any interest, I can send pics.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 08-03-19, 03:40 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Borealislights
I found my Yokota in the bike store in Mill Valley, CA back in 1988. What's really strange is the bike blue book only shows them being made/sold in 1993-1994. It's a great bike and has been with me through all sorts of riding all these years - used more for transportation while I lived in San Francisco and off-trail since I moved back to Minnesota (not to mention only being able to ride 2/3 of the year now). Expect it to hold up for many more years.

Wow, I know you'll probably never see this (you last visited here in 2014), but that's one pretty bike!
Old 05-31-20, 08:00 AM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just broke the three spd LEFT shifter on my Yosemite. It's the DX group. Pics of the bike are in this thread. There are a lot of Shimano shifters on eBay and it would help if I had some model #"s, as a lot of sellers use those in the description.

I bought one three spd shifter that had one pic in a sealed bag and it was fuzzy. It will not screw to my brake assembly. I bought another set from Poland that looks like it was stolen off a bike with the cables cut. I'm still waiting for that pair.

I think it might help to know the model # of this shifter/brake group....?

Kevin
Old 05-31-20, 01:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Not sure if this helps.
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/K...20DX&name_web=
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-01-20, 09:04 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that link! But even at that, there are different model #'s within. Great info though.

I sent a PM to John Harrington to see if he could help. Where better than to ask the creator, right? Just a shot in the dark.

When those brake and shifter assemblies get here from Poland, I'll see what I've got. It's no problem finding Shimano 3spd shifters for the front derailleur.....it's finding ones that screw onto my existing brake lever assembly. Albeit, I can replace the entire assembly with something else.....I just wanna keep it period/correct. Shimano didn't help either by all the models and changes over the yrs.

Kevin
Old 06-01-20, 02:36 PM
Jharrington
Jharrington

Bikes: Various

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano Deore DX left ****lever.

Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
I just broke the three spd LEFT shifter on my Yosemite. It's the DX group. Pics of the bike are in this thread. There are a lot of Shimano shifters on eBay and it would help if I had some model #"s, as a lot of sellers use those in the description.

I bought one three spd shifter that had one pic in a sealed bag and it was fuzzy. It will not screw to my brake assembly. I bought another set from Poland that looks like it was stolen off a bike with the cables cut. I'm still waiting for that pair.

I think it might help to know the model # of this shifter/brake group....?

Kevin

just look for a Shimano Deore DX shift lever. I don’t know the numeric part number but I think it would start with a 6. Sorry couldn’t be more help.
Old 06-01-20, 03:33 PM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just look for a Shimano Deore DX shift lever. I don’t know the numeric part number but I think it would start with a 6. Sorry couldn’t be more help.
Well, see there's the ST-MO92/ST-MO91/ST-MO71/ST-MO70.....those are all "two finger" and there's a four finger I'm assuming I don't have.

I have no idea of the differences and there might even be more out there.

Kevin
Old 06-01-20, 08:30 PM
curbtender

Got one around to try to fix?

https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/deoredx/index.html
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-02-20, 07:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Well, see there's the ST-MO92/ST-MO91/ST-MO71/ST-MO70.....those are all "two finger" and there's a four finger I'm assuming I don't have.

I have no idea of the differences and there might even be more out there.

Kevin
Get the model number off of your rear STI unit.
Old 06-02-20, 07:11 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Get the model number off of your rear STI unit.
I see nothing on the bike other than Shimano Deore DX....anywhere.

Kevin
Old 06-02-20, 07:33 AM
T-Mar

I see nothing on the bike other than Shimano Deore DX....anywhere.

Kevin
The part number is usually embossed somewhere on the underside of the STI units. Here's an example of a set of ST-M070.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-02-20, 08:02 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The part number is usually embossed somewhere on the underside of the STI units. Here's an example of a set of ST-M070.
Bingo!! So simple to find....doh!

STI is ST-MO71. What in the world would be the difference between the ST-MO70 and the 71?

Anyway, thanks for the locate.

Kevin
Old 06-02-20, 08:27 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing on eBay at the moment. I thought I would post something in 'Wanted' in Marketplace of this forum, but it says I can't access the page because I'm "restricted"?

Kevin
Old 06-02-20, 08:36 AM
T-Mar

Bingo!! So simple to find....doh!

STI is ST-MO71. What in the world would be the difference between the ST-MO70 and the 71?

Anyway, thanks for the locate.

Kevin
The ST-M070 is the longer, 4 finger lever, while the ST-M071 is the shorter, 2 finger lever.

I know you have to purchase a forum membership to post in the For Sale thread. Maybe it's the same situation for Wanted To Buy?
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-02-20, 08:44 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The ST-M070 is the longer, 4 finger lever, while the ST-M071 is the shorter, 2 finger lever.

I know you have to purchase a forum membership to post in the For Sale thread. Maybe it's the same situation for Wanted To Buy?
OK, that makes sense on the 'pay' part.....I was wondering about that.

I guess I don't get the 'four finger' part....is that how you might shift? I see the mention of both in the literature. The pic of the ST-MO70 you posted looks exactly like my shifter; one longer stem and then a shorter one tucked inside. .

Kevin
Old 06-02-20, 09:19 AM
curbtender

I guess I don't get the 'four finger' part....is that how you might shift? I see the mention of both in the literature. The pic of the ST-MO70 you posted looks exactly like my shifter; one longer stem and then a shorter one tucked inside. .

Kevin
Got something to trade? Try here...
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-part-5-a.html
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-02-20, 09:52 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Did what you're never supposed to do; tried to remove the nut at the top of the shaft inside. Thread locker and it broke the shaft. In hindsight....some contact cleaner/brake cleaner in there to clean things up and relube would have been the ticket. Those things are amazing complicated inside.

Kevin
Old 06-02-20, 11:05 AM
T-Mar

Kevin
Two versus four finger refers to the length of the brake lever. Two finger levers are shorter and meant to be operated with two fingers, while four fingers levers are longer and intended to be operated with four fingers/
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-05-20, 09:38 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Two versus four finger refers to the length of the brake lever. Two finger levers are shorter and meant to be operated with two fingers, while four fingers levers are longer and intended to be operated with four fingers/
I can fit three fingers on my brake lever, not four comfortably. I have the metal finish, not the black anodized. I'm not sure which style I have is what I'm saying.

Still no luck finding my 3spd shifter to bolt on the brake lever housing. Still waiting on the brake levers/shifters from Poland to show up.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 06-05-20 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 05:00 PM
T-Mar

I can fit three fingers on my brake lever, not four comfortably. I have the metal finish, not the black anodized. I'm not sure which style I have is what I'm saying.

Still no luck finding my 3spd shifter to bolt on the brake lever housing. Still waiting on the brake levers/shifters from Poland to show up.

Kevin
In an earlier post, you said that you had the ST-M071, which is the 2 finger lever.
Old 06-06-20, 06:35 AM
Real1shepherd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In an earlier post, you said that you had the ST-M071, which is the 2 finger lever.
I got that number off the brake lever that remains on the bike.....3spd shifter part still broken.....brake part works fine.
Unscrewd from the brake lever, there are no #'s on the shifter itself.

OK then it's settled, I have the two finger brake/shifter.The ones coming from Poland are ST-M070. Hopefully, the three spd shifter itself is the same thing as my broken one.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 06-06-20 at 06:43 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.