Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Trek Domane SL vs SLR?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 09:17 AM
gti337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Searched and didn't see any direct comparisons - has anyone ridden both the SL and SLR 2020 Trek Domane? I know I need to get out and ride both, just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion. Trying to decide between the SLR7 UDi2 at $7799 vs the SL7 at $5999. A $1800 difference for adjustable isoSpeed and different bars/saddle seems like quite a bit . . .
Old 01-04-20, 06:46 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The slr frame costs a lot more to save a little weight. If you're not racing it's probably not worth it. I've never test ridden any of a dozen bikes because they all started as frames.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-06-20 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 07:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I went through the comparison in 2017, went with SL6/disc. I couldn't see ever adjusting the ISOspeed setting and after 3 seasons riding the Domane still feel that way.

The frame weight savings didn't seem worth it, as I carry 30 lbs of extra weight on my body... I did like the color available for the SL7 better, but wouldn't pay for that.

For me, the wheels were what made me decide on the SL6 vs. SL5. If the wheels on both are the same Bontrager Aerolus, that is a lot of %% to pay for the weight savings alone.
Old 01-06-20, 10:29 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I dont have any experience with either bike, but I doubt the price difference is worth it. It rarely is for those top end bikes.

Get the SL, unless you're one of those people that NEED TO HAVE the best.
Old 01-06-20, 10:53 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I went through the comparison in 2017, went with SL6/disc. I couldn't see ever adjusting the ISOspeed setting and after 3 seasons riding the Domane still feel that way.
According to my local Trek shop, most Domane owners feel the same way. I was told the middle position is the one most riders end up using, and that is equal to the non adjustable models.
Old 01-06-20, 11:16 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by gti337
Hi all,

Searched and didn't see any direct comparisons - has anyone ridden both the SL and SLR 2020 Trek Domane? I know I need to get out and ride both, just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion. Trying to decide between the SLR7 UDi2 at $7799 vs the SL7 at $5999. A $1800 difference for adjustable isoSpeed and different bars/saddle seems like quite a bit . . .
I'd save the $1800 and upgrade the wheelset. For example, Reynolds top of line Aero 46 or 65 series can be had for well under $1800
Old 01-06-20, 02:38 PM
gti337

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! Was leaning towards the SL as the additional $1800 seemed a bit much for what's included. Just need to find a 2020 SL7 in stock in a 58 for me to test ride somewhere nearby!
Old 01-06-20, 08:02 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
According to my local Trek shop, most Domane owners feel the same way. I was told the middle position is the one most riders end up using, and that is equal to the non adjustable models.
I adjusted a little lower in the winter. Riding smaller gears with more weight on the saddle. I could live without it and still be happy with the bike
Old 01-09-20, 05:31 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
GTI337 - I'm not real picky about bikes but the test ride on the 2017 Domane SL6 blew me away compared to a few others I test rode. I'm loving the bike.

I buy new bikes about every 15 to 20 years, but that down tube storage compartment in the 2020 model could almost tempt me into looking at a trade-in. I hat carrying stuff on my back or in pockets, don't even like wearing jerseys with pockets. Could take the saddle bag off if I had that cool compartment!
Old 01-10-20, 02:15 PM
eastsideride

Bikes: Checkpoint; Stache; Remedy; Slash; Emonda

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gti337
Thanks everyone! Was leaning towards the SL as the additional $1800 seemed a bit much for what's included. Just need to find a 2020 SL7 in stock in a 58 for me to test ride somewhere nearby!
Good choice on the SL 7. I love the SLR but the stiffness setting on the adjustable IsoSpeed for the SLR is best for racers. If you want a softer bike, it offers that too. But for for your average rider, the SL meets the needs of just about everyone.
Old 01-10-20, 05:03 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I agree with much of what is posted. The only thing I will add is that the 2020 SLR suspension system also has a damper element which is absent in the more traditional Isospeed of the SL as well as the last-gen SLR. The SL relies on the intrinsic damping properties of the carbon fibre to damp-out oscillations and therefore rebound/recoil and oscillation is more pronounced in the absence of the elastomeric damper of the SLR. This was something I noticed in moving from my 2016 SLR to the new 2020 SLR. The ride is much more refined with the new system. I would struggle to recommend the upgrade from SL to SLR on the basis of value alone. I agree when people say Save the money and buy wheels. That's really if its a one-or-the other proposition, though. I went SLR because I wanted to go Project One and get the H1.5 Pro Endurance fit. I was looking to get the best I could afford without having to justify the value. No one can rationalize the money I spent on the basis of function alone lol.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 01-10-20 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 05:30 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I agree with much of what is posted. The only thing I will add is that the 2020 SLR suspension system also has a damper element which is absent in the more traditional Isospeed of the SL as well as the last-gen SLR. The SL relies on the intrinsic damping properties of the carbon fibre to damp-out oscillations and therefore rebound/recoil and oscillation is more pronounced in the absence of the elastomeric damper of the SLR. This was something I noticed in moving from my 2016 SLR to the new 2020 SLR. The ride is much more refined with the new system. I would struggle to recommend the upgrade from SL to SLR on the basis of value alone. I agree when people say Save the money and buy wheels. That's really if its a one-or-the other proposition, though. I went SLR because I wanted to go Project One and get the H1.5 Pro Endurance fit. I was looking to get the best I could afford without having to justify the value. No one can rationalize the money I spent on the basis of function alone lol.
there’s really no need to upgrade the wheelset on the SL7.
Old 01-10-20, 05:39 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Agreed.
Old 01-10-20, 09:19 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I have a 2019 SL 6 and it is a great bike. Couldn't ask for much more really.

But, I got it in my head that I wanted a Di2 bike so I ordered a 2020 SLR 7 this week. I would have just gone with the SL 7 but the only color available just isn't my thing so I bit the bullet jumped up to the SLR 7. If there would have been different colors in the SL 7 it would have been my first choice. Both are more bike than I will ever be able to take advantage of but I'm not getting any younger and figured I might as well get what I want and enjoy it while I'm able to.
Old 01-11-20, 06:48 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by August West

But, I got it in my head that I wanted a Di2 bike so I ordered a 2020 SLR 7 this week. I would have just gone with the SL 7 but the only color available just isn't my thing so I bit the bullet jumped up to the SLR 7. If there would have been different colors in the SL 7 it would have been my first choice. Both are more bike than I will ever be able to take advantage of but I'm not getting any younger and figured I might as well get what I want and enjoy it while I'm able to.
Great choice! Congratulations on your decision. Be sure to post pics
Old 01-12-20, 08:27 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by August West

Not to make you second guess your decision, but you could have just upgraded the groupset on your current bike to Di2 if you wanted.
Old 01-12-20, 08:32 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by maartendc
Not to make you second guess your decision, but you could have just upgraded the groupset on your current bike to Di2 if you wanted.
But it wouldn't have the wider tire clearence(or integrated tool storage) the 2020 bike does.
Old 01-12-20, 09:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
But it wouldn't have the wider tire clearence(or integrated tool storage) the 2020 bike does.
And some people seem to be hot on the new BB.
Old 01-12-20, 09:38 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The BB is a real improvement over the old PF BB. I've had no issues with mine, but it's definitely a known problem.
Old 01-12-20, 01:33 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
The main functional difference between the two bikes is the Trek frames grade of carbon. That's it. (SLR has a choice of colors, SL7 has just black.)

The SLR has a Trek's 700 grade carbon that is slightly lighter and stronger. The SL has 500 grade carbon. All the other components are the same, wheels, drivetrain, etc.

The difference in weight is the SLR is 1/2 pound lighter Why would anyone want to pay $1800 more just for choices of color and a 1/2 pound lighter bike?
Old 01-12-20, 05:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Weren't you going cuckoo for T47?

I mean, I am too. You may remember I nearly refused to get a press-fit roadie, and if someone made a T47 modern tri bike that would be a bigger differentiator than the gnat's sneeze in the wind tunnel that separates most of them.
Old 01-12-20, 06:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Weren't you going cuckoo for T47?

I mean, I am too. You may remember I nearly refused to get a press-fit roadie, and if someone made a T47 modern tri bike that would be a bigger differentiator than the gnat's sneeze in the wind tunnel that separates most of them.
Nope, that wasn't me. I mean, I'd take it over BB90, all other things equal, but if a previous model year with BB90 had a significant discount? I'd take the discount (as long as we're still talking about new, with Trek's lifetime warranty).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-12-20, 07:51 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by BengalCat
The main functional difference between the two bikes is the Trek frames grade of carbon. That's it. (SLR has a choice of colors, SL7 has just black.)

The SLR has a Trek's 700 grade carbon that is slightly lighter and stronger. The SL has 500 grade carbon. All the other components are the same, wheels, drivetrain, etc.

The difference in weight is the SLR is 1/2 pound lighter Why would anyone want to pay $1800 more just for choices of color and a 1/2 pound lighter bike?
I'd say the bigger difference is the adjustable flex of the seat tube.

I have an older 600 grade CF Domane frameset without the front Iso feature..For me the most attractive feature of the 2020 Domane is the tire clearance.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-03-20, 08:34 AM
CraigB70

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it is worth, I did about 150klm on an SL7 demo bike across 2 rides before buying an SLR7. Personally, I found it very difficult to pick the difference between them and only went for the SLR7 as I wanted Di2 instead of Sram AXS. Unfortunately in Australia Di2 is not available on anything lower than the SLR7. If it were available on the SL7 I'd have happily saved the money and gone for that. I was not too concerned about weight. I am personally carrying a (fair) bit of extra weight so could not look at my bike in good conscience and accuse it of being overweight!

For me, I was still hearing too much negative talk about chains dropping on the Sram, although I personally didn't have any issues on the 2 rides I did. I do like the feel of the Shimano brakes ever so slightly more though and they don't seem to have the brake rub that I was experiencing with the Sram brakes.

I have not played with the rear isospeed settings yet, but as some have said earlier, I have heard that most people settle on the middle setting anyway. All I can say is that both bikes are absolutely beautiful to ride and you would not go wrong with either!

Save the money and put it into some more toys for the new bike
Old 02-04-20, 12:02 PM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If your budget allows for the nicer bike get it. I have never had anyone wish they bought the cheaper bike but most wish they got the more expensive one. get the nicest bike your budget will allow!
Likes For "Fred":