Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom bracket Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 02:57 PM
Indycasa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket Peugeot

Hello,

I want to repare a peugeot tube special carbonite 103. The problem is that the bottom bracket is broken. How can I tell whether I need to have a french/swiss/english bottom bracket?
Old 04-09-20, 03:06 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Indycasa-

That depends on whether the crankset is cottered or cotterless and if it is cotterless which brand it is and whether it has external stampings identifying the threading. Can you be more specific?
Old 04-09-20, 03:23 PM
Indycasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crankset is cotterless. And the brand is Peugeot. Furthermore the only stampings I can find on the bottom bracket is: 121 ->

Is there anything more you need to know?
Old 04-09-20, 03:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The next things would be to determine: 1) what crankset and bottom bracket spindle taper you have if you'll be using the same crankset with the new bottom bracket. I believe the Peugeot crankarms were made by Stronglight, probably right close to ISO taper for an early-80's bike.

And 2) do you have an old English bottom bracket laying around, I would test-fit that to the bottom bracket threading first.

Determine which direction that the right-side fixed cup turns to remove.

What actually broke, the spindle?
Old 04-09-20, 03:31 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Important information to know. Saying that something is "broken" without further information will just lead to people making guesses that might or might not be helpful. Pictures are helpful once the OP has enough posts to add them
Old 04-09-20, 03:35 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Indycasa
The crankset is cotterless. And the brand is Peugeot.
In all probability, the crank was made by another company and had the Peugeot brand name added, very common practice many years ago for big companies ordering components by the tens of thousands.
Old 04-09-20, 03:45 PM
Indycasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unfortunately I do not have an old english bottom bracket laying around. This is the first time I am restoring a bike. (so if I ask a silly question you know why).

No the spindle is totally fine. the left side cup broke when I tried to remove it.
Old 04-09-20, 03:46 PM
Indycasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Furthermore the only stampings I can find on the bottom bracket is: 121 ->
This stamping is placed on the spindle
Old 04-09-20, 04:31 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
unfortunately I do not have an old english bottom bracket laying around. This is the first time I am restoring a bike. (so if I ask a silly question you know why).

No the spindle is totally fine. the left side cup broke when I tried to remove it.
Do you have a known English freewheel or hub? The bottom bracket cups could be tested on a freewheel or a hub can be threaded into the non-drive-side (left) bottom bracket. Note that English hubs and BBs both have same dimensions and threading. But French & even Swiss threading date also possibilities with Peugeots.

Curious how the left side cup broke. They can get stripped or cross-threaded but it’s not easy to break a bottom bracket cup.

For further reading:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
Old 04-09-20, 04:34 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
In all probability, the crank was made by another company and had the Peugeot brand name added, very common practice many years ago for big companies ordering components by the tens of thousands.
Stronglight made a lot of cranksets for Peugeot with the Peugeot branding on it. Solida also supplied cranksets to Peugeot but I don't think they branded them as Peugeot cranksets like Stronlight did.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-09-20, 04:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Look for any markings on the cups.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...m-bracket.html
Old 04-09-20, 08:26 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Yup. Stronglight made most of the "Peugeot" bottom brackets. I sure would like a look at the broken cup. I've never seen one. Cross threaded,..yes.
The bottom bracket is almost assuredly wider than most so measure carefully before ordering anything. There not terribly expensive so I'd order one with English threading and, If it doesn't easily screw in, move to the next most common threading which is Italian I think. Someone here will certainly correct me if I'm wrong. I love the look of those old Stronglights. Your working on the most troublesome part of your Peugeot so take heart. Once you get past this, things should get easier. I like old Peugeots and think the effort is worthwhile but they are a handful normally. I have run into a few that are all English thread but it's a little rare. Good luck and send pictures whenever you can.
Old 04-10-20, 04:30 AM
Indycasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The next things would be to determine: 1) what crankset and bottom bracket spindle taper you have if you'll be using the same crankset with the new bottom bracket. I believe the Peugeot crankarms were made by Stronglight, probably right close to ISO taper for an early-80's bike.

And 2) do you have an old English bottom bracket laying around, I would test-fit that to the bottom bracket threading first.

Determine which direction that the right-side fixed cup turns to remove.

Okay, I looked at it again. actually only the lockring broke. Furthermore I cannot find the brand on the crankarms Only that it's made in France . And on the pedals that they are Lyotard 136 R.
If only the lockring broke, is it possible to only replace the lockring? And if I do this does it matter whether the BB is french/swiss/english?

I want to upload some photos, but I haven't post 10 times. So it is still not possible for me

Last edited by Indycasa; 04-10-20 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 06:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
If only the lockring broke, is it possible to only replace the lockring? And if I do this does it matter whether the BB is french/swiss/english?
Yes you can replace only the lock ring but the correct threading is still required
Old 04-10-20, 09:17 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

The lockring and left cup will be either English or metric-thread, and right-hand threaded.
But, over such a short span of say ~four threads, either would likely fit and turn smoothly. I would try a common English lockring and if it tightens up with a normal feel to it (not too mushy) then I say you're good. The cup is very likely harder metal than the ring, so there is VERY little chance of damaging it's threads.

I have seen a fixed cup broken, but from a department store bike and the cup partially pulled apart under the tightening loads along the base of the threads.
Seems that Huffy, Mongoose and a couple of other big-box store brands (NOT Schwinn though) have hit some new lows over the past decade with respect to the grade of cheese used in the manufacture of their bottom brackets. Unfortunately also they don't seem to be able to harden cheese quite the way that steel is normally hardened(?).
Then there's this:

Old 04-10-20, 09:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yes, and yes. The lockring thread has to match the thread on the cup, which has to match the thread in the bottom bracket shell.

Are there any markings on the cups? E.g. "1.37 x 24" would indicate English thread; "35 x 1" could be either French or Swiss. Other, more arcane marking are also possible (although less likely for a 1980s vintage bike). Sometimes the knurling pattern on the lockring can indicate thread spec as well:

Source: Sutherland's 4th Edition
Old 04-10-20, 09:37 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have a 82 Peugeot P8 (carbolite) disassembled and I believe it is English BB threads since I am able to thread the nds lockring on an English type threaded freewheel.
Also Peugeot branded Stronglight crand and BB and the spindle has the same markings; Suntour Seven derailleurs.

Last edited by dmark; 04-10-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 10:49 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by dmark
I have a 82 Peugeot P8 (carbolite) disassembled and I believe it is English BB threads since I am able to thread the nds lockring on an English type threaded freewheel.
Also Peugeot branded Stronglight crand and BB and the spindle has the same markings; Suntour Seven derailleurs.
As I mentioned above, with only a few threads in a row, Swiss/English/French lockrings may all work interchangeably.

It's the thread pitch difference that prevents English cups from threading into a Swiss or French (left side) bottom bracket, not the diameter (which is really close between English and metric).
I've even used an English BB in a Swiss-threaded Peugeot frame (though after a few turns in I had to use force and a back-and-forth action for the alloy cups to move inward as the thread pitch started to cause increasing interference).
Old 04-10-20, 12:26 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
As I mentioned above, with only a few threads in a row, Swiss/English/French lockrings may all work interchangeably.

It's the thread pitch difference that prevents English cups from threading into a Swiss or French (left side) bottom bracket, not the diameter (which is really close between English and metric).
I've even used an English BB in a Swiss-threaded Peugeot frame (though after a few turns in I had to use force and a back-and-forth action for the alloy cups to move inward as the thread pitch started to cause increasing interference).
Yup.
I tried the cups in an old Fuji and a couple of turns was all. With Suntour and Dia Compe I thought they might have gone
English that early.
Old 09-29-22, 06:14 AM
Sorin

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Hello guys,
I try to put back on roads my PA10L and i have 1 pcs left to remove - fixed cup from bottom bracket. I have try to rotate CCW , and is not moving. I was doing in the wrong direction ? is CW ? Put some WD40 , also heated a liitle...not working . I dont have a propper tool also , just a french adjustable key. Any special tool that i need or any tips to try remove it? Thank you verry much.
Old 09-29-22, 08:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorin
Hello guys,
I try to put back on roads my PA10L and i have 1 pcs left to remove - fixed cup from bottom bracket. I have try to rotate CCW , and is not moving. I was doing in the wrong direction ? is CW ? Put some WD40 , also heated a liitle...not working . I dont have a propper tool also , just a french adjustable key. Any special tool that i need or any tips to try remove it? Thank you verry much.
Are there any markings on the cups? Sometimes thread spec is explicitly marked, other times in an arcane manner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bb-cup-markings.jpg (223.7 KB, 70 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-29-22, 08:08 AM
Sorin

I have 1 ring ,8 sides, no markings , stronglight cottered cranks. Diameter of the ring is like 37.68 ..so idk if i will find any special tool.
Old 09-29-22, 10:24 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Best thing is take advantage of the Velo Orange sale right now. If you just replace the lockring, then certainly the bearings will be rough or anything else. Just modernize the whole thing for a good price, and never think about it again.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...e-alloy-cups-1
Old 09-29-22, 10:29 AM
Sorin

I appreciate your imput, but i have cottered and not square type cranks . Upgrade everything means change everything and loose identity of this bike. Is not what i intented to do atm. Regards,
Old 09-29-22, 10:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorin
I appreciate your imput, but i have cottered and not square type cranks . Upgrade everything means change everything and loose identity of this bike. Is not what i intented to do atm. Regards,
Here is probably your best bet to remove the fixed cup - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Scroll down to where the late St. Sheldon describes fixed-cup tools. I have successfully used this method on my old Gitane and a Jeunet 630 and it DOES work.
Likes For rustystrings61:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.