Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

QR skewer length question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 12:30 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts

How long should the skewer be for 6-speed (126 mm, 126 mm OLD) hubs?

How likely is it that a skewer for a 130 mm OLD hub will work? What about 135 mm OLD? i don't mind the skewer sticking out some to get the internal cam.

I broke my steel internal cam skewer. I'm using an external cam skewer now, but my confidence level isn't as high as I'd like it to be

The hub is old Campy Record, but my budget says: forgo Campy skewers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-20, 03:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
How overlong you can go depends on how many threads.
I've used 5mm over, but don't remember what brand QR.
Old 04-28-20, 03:47 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I measure the rear skewer of a 126mm OLD Campagnolo Record hub at 172mm. A longer skewer shouldn't be a problem as long as the threads extend far enough for the end cap to engage the dropout. You'll have some extra skewer projecting past the end cap, but that's a cosmetic, not a functional issue.
Old 04-28-20, 09:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Drop out thickness x 2 + axle lock nut to lock nut length = minimum skewer inside end caps/nuts length. Add the skewer's adjusting nut thickness for total skewer rod length. Or just trial fit the skewer, you're looking for the skewer to engage the adjusting nut at least 6 threads or to the point of the adjusting nut's metal threads (some adjusting nuts have a Nylok like end bit that does nothing structural), WHICH EVER IG GREATER. Andy (who understands that many will consider 6 threads of engagement to be too little)
Old 04-29-20, 07:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A longer skewer shouldn't be a problem as long as the threads extend far enough for the end cap to engage the dropout. You'll have some extra skewer projecting past the end cap, but that's a cosmetic, not a functional issue.
I don't agree that the extra projecting threads are just a cosmetic issue. They can be a real injury hazard if you brush a leg against them. I've always cut the extra length off flush or just below flush with the end cap and filed the cut end smooth.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-29-20, 08:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
I've threaded on a Nylok M5 nut of exposed skewer ends as a quick and no cost protective measure many times. Just far enough up the skewer to have it and the nut's end become flush. Andy
Old 04-29-20, 10:33 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
This would work, clamp a 126 wheel and blend with old Campy. Marked Raleigh. Yours for shipping if you need it.

Old 04-29-20, 05:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Thanks very much for the info and the offer. I knew BF members would come up with good stuff.
Old 04-30-20, 09:13 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I measure the rear skewer of a 126mm OLD Campagnolo Record hub at 172mm. A longer skewer shouldn't be a problem as long as the threads extend far enough for the end cap to engage the dropout. You'll have some extra skewer projecting past the end cap, but that's a cosmetic, not a functional issue.
I have had a problem with too much length extending beyond the end cap, It is when I am using one of my older bikes on the kinetic trainer, it didn't fit properly with the included skewer. But this is a particular situation.