Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does money buy quality?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does money buy quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 07:33 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Does money buy quality?

I just bought a new helmet for daily training on amazon, it was cheap the reviews were good so I took a chance....it is a darn good helmet and it cost a hek of a lot less than my old helmet....I guess u don't have to spend a lot to get a quality product
Old 03-09-19, 08:02 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
One thing is for sure, it often buys the perception of quality.
Old 03-09-19, 08:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
All helmets have to meet a minimum level, but that doesn't mean they can't exceed it.

More expensive helmets are lighter, have better ventilation and are more stylish. They COULD be safer but you'll have to determine that.

What I can tell you is I crashed and cracked a 2 week old $275 helmet and was able to ride home. I took it back to the LBS and the manufacturer gave me a 30% crash replacement discount and the LBS gave me another 20%.

Best $275 I ever spent.
Old 03-09-19, 08:20 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
All helmets have to meet a minimum level, but that doesn't mean they can't exceed it.

More expensive helmets are lighter, have better ventilation and are more stylish. They COULD be safer but you'll have to determine that.

What I can tell you is I crashed and cracked a 2 week old $275 helmet and was able to ride home. I took it back to the LBS and the manufacturer gave me a 30% crash replacement discount and the LBS gave me another 20%.

Best $275 I ever spent.
for 275 I could have bought 4 of the helmets I bought on amazon....money doesn't buy u ventilation lighter maybe stylish is irrelivent….if u crash and ur able to walk away then its money well spent no matter how much u spend on a helmet
Old 03-09-19, 08:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
the only real difference is the that fancy MIMPS technology in high end lids. I am sure I have the wrong acronym for it buy other than that they have to have the same standard tests to be DOT approved. My helmet was $80 on sale. Its a really nice helmet but wouldn't have pain the $150 regular price that's for sure!
Old 03-09-19, 08:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by robnol
for 275 I could have bought 4 of the helmets I bought on amazon....money doesn't buy u ventilation lighter maybe stylish is irrelivent….if u crash and ur able to walk away then its money well spent no matter how much u spend on a helmet
My helmet was one of the first ones that offered MIPS. My head hit the pavement at 18mph. I said the impact was like getting hit with a volley ball instead of a baseball.
Old 03-09-19, 09:37 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Define "quality".
Old 03-09-19, 10:09 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Define "buy"...
Old 03-10-19, 12:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If I get to the point where I'm scrimping on the foam cap that protects the contents of my skull, it will probably be time to check those contents.

I've had to replace 3 helmets in 4 years, two of which were cracked almost in half. None of them were cheap. I wear those helmets 15+ hours a week. Fit and comfort are of paramount importance.

If I could find one that fit well, breathed well, and was both light and cheap, that would be great. But it's been $100+ so far. My current Kask is the most expensive helmet I've bought, and it's also the coolest, lightest, and most comfortable.

So I don't much care about the price.
Old 03-10-19, 01:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Helmets are a place where you have to define "quality". The lightest with most advanced cooling? Or best protection? Protection and cost aren't very closely related. All US helmets must meet SPSC. ALL MIPS helmets sold in te US also meet CPSC. One the lightest and coolest helmets, it is quite likely that engineers shaved everything down to very close to the CPSC (and MIPS if used) minimums to minimize weight and insulation. But a cheaper helmet may have just a one time through design procedure and be (say) 20% over the standards. In a crash, that cheaper one may will be better. (It might leave the brain more subject to secondary shock as it holds together better on impacts so predicting which will better protect you is not easy.

My most notable head impact crashes were my first; hitting very hard with the original Bell Biker where most my my brain damage was from secondary shock and my last; wearing a medium priced Bell with the chin strap loose. Hit my head quite hard, nearly lost my ear to the strap as the helmet rotated and I walked away with no concussion whatsoever. I've been wearing the very expensive first MIPS helmet I could buy that fit since. But I've recently seen $25 MIPS helmets and there are now competing similar technologies too.

Ben
Old 03-10-19, 03:05 AM
elpedaleur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience is that in most cases money buys you quality, but the increase in quality doesnt necessarily justify the extra money. Think its all a matter on how much you value extra quality. For a helmet it might be worth to spend some extra money.
Old 03-10-19, 05:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I just bought a new helmet for daily training on amazon, it was cheap the reviews were good so I took a chance....it is a darn good helmet and it cost a hek of a lot less than my old helmet....I guess u don't have to spend a lot to get a quality product
If it was not at least $95.73 it is a cheap, poorly made helmet and unsafe at any speed.
I’m surprised you asked though as even a child knows this.
Basic consumer cycling economics(CCE)
Old 03-10-19, 06:17 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
In the bicycle industry a huge percentage of higher priced products is related to lowering weight that doesn't mean they are safer it means a performance advantage. From what I can see you start off with the junk stuff really made to very low costs (can still be safe if there is required certification though) and then you move on to the products that meet most people's expectations of quality, reliability and beyond that you have the more premium brands and lighter weight products. Many of the performance products are not the safest they are made of less safe material like carbon and steel and aluminium tubes have more butting to lower weight to make them more prone to fatigue than straight gauge tubes. When it comes to bicycle helmets there is a company in China that produces millions of helmets per year for many brands they are a huge OEM supplier and there are many other manufacturer's there too competing with it. I have a Cannondale bike helmet and a lower end bike helmet I honestly can't see any difference in quality and they are both made in China and broadly similar. I have a preference for the Cannondale helmet just because I like the branding on it but I honestly don't believe it offers any additional safety or quality. Nowadays Cannondale is just a brand of Dorel Industries of Canada and pretty much an importer who sources everything from the far east, yes there is a R&D side to Cannondale that Dorel's other brands don't get but I'm pretty sure my Cannondale helmet is just something sourced from a Chinese factory with a Cannondale brand slapped on and a huge margin stuck on top. I bought my Cannondale helmet heavily discounted here in the UK, it had a normal retail price of about Ł90 but I paid something like Ł10 in a big sale at Planet X here in the UK, I also bought some Cannondale pumps at Ł2 and Ł3 each when they were normally Ł15 and Ł20 if memory serves me right. They were old stock and had stopped stocking Cannondale for sometime I believe and were just clearing out. I think when you look at alibaba you can see helmets can be as low as $2 each from the factory and often the alibaba prices can be pushed lower for larger orders. It's quite possible good quality helmets are being produced for less than $3 each factory door price.

It may well be the same situation as children's bicycles where high quality chidren's bicycles cost peanuts to make but are incredibly highly priced at retail because parents are obsessed with safety for their children so can be more exploited on pricing. Many people clearly want to protect their head and so may consider a premium helmet as a priority so can be exploited again with far higher pricing. I think if people actually knew the factor door price for many of the products they buy compared to what they actually paid they would probably be incredibly angry and feel completely ripped off but its not about what is a fair price it is about what the market will bear. Why would you sell a helmet at $15 is someone was prepared to pay $60? So many retail industries are struggling to find a decent margin.
Old 03-10-19, 06:54 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
If you have a $10 Head buy a $10 Helmet...
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 03-10-19, 06:55 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The responses to this poll are extremely biased towards purchasing higher quality helmets, but I'm guessing that's because those who bought lesser quality helmets are no longer available to answer this poll.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-10-19, 08:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I have no idea what kind of quality I got in my Giro Synthe. I do know what kind of comfort I got. It was worth the price.
Old 03-10-19, 08:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Please send this thread to the helmet sticky thread to join the thousand other same old, same old helmet proselytizing posts.
Old 03-10-19, 08:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
The responses to this poll are extremely biased towards purchasing higher quality helmets, but I'm guessing that's because those who bought lesser quality helmets are no longer available to answer this poll.
That's certainly one analysis. Another is the high end buyers feel the need to justify their expenditure.

The test is a pass/fail so I'm not seeing objective evidence the higher cost helmets are safer.
Old 03-10-19, 08:20 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
At the risk of exaggerating just a bit, cheap helmet with good reviews on Amazon probably describes about 1000 different helmets, some good, some bad. Everything on Amazon has good reviews.
Old 03-10-19, 08:21 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Here's my experience.

I crashed and cracked an inexpensive helmet and I sort of rode away.....With a pretty good concussion. I crashed and cracked a much more expensive helmet in virtually the same spot with about equal damage, and rode away with no concussion.

Maybe the the two crashes were different enough that I wouldn't have gotten a concussion out of crash two wearing a cheaper helmet, but riding away with a clear head certainly helped the decision to replace it with the same model.

Edit... FWIW, I wear a lesser expensive helmet when I'm out easy single tracking on my mtn bike, the ventilation sucks compared to my more expensive road helmet.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-10-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 08:46 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

Best $275 I ever spent.
This pretty much demonstrates the outrageous amount of mark up there is on high dollar helmets. They're still making a killing. Yay, capitalism!
Old 03-10-19, 08:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

Best $275 I ever spent.
You are absolutely correct.
Old 03-10-19, 08:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
No amount style is going to help me actually be stylish. In fact, I fear I am one of those late, late middle-age men who look even more ridiculous in stylish attire than in more pedestrian livery.

As far as quality...I mostly commute, so durability,value and comfort are what I judge helmets by. I may buy a more vented helmet this summer, but in the fall and winter, vents are irrelevant.

My one complaint with the newer crop of helmets is the dial-fit knob on the back. I like the elastic band. It makes slipping a 360-degree flasher on the back really easy.
Old 03-10-19, 09:00 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
They (expensive helmets) COULD be safer but you'll have to determine that.

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
You are absolutely correct.
Agreed.
Old 03-10-19, 09:08 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
This pretty much demonstrates the outrageous amount of mark up there is on high dollar helmets. They're still making a killing. Yay, capitalism!
So the government should nationalize the helmet industry? I'm sure they'd do a better job... just like the $10,000 toilet cover.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.0c7caeab4859

The nice thing about capitalism is you don't HAVE to buy something.

If price is your main concern, Walmart sells this one for $20 if you have a small head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.