Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 05:29 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont understand what this has to do with the comment you quoted or the topic in general.
Too bad, your loss.
Old 12-05-19, 05:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
6 pages and I still haven't figured out what is so offensive about this commercial. All I see is a husband giving his wife a christmass gift. I wonder how social media and news media would react if this husband gave his wife a real bike instead of an indoor bike.

Last edited by wolfchild; 12-05-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 05:48 PM
kq2dc7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The lady was fit before she got the Peleton.
Old 12-05-19, 05:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
6 pages and I still haven't figured out what is so offensive about this commercial. All I see is a husband giving his wife a christmass gift. I wonder how social media and news media would react if this husband gave his wife a real bike instead of an indoor bike.
6 pages and I still haven't figured out why people are debating the "meaning" of a TV advert.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-05-19, 06:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, me and my people get Chinese food, but I'm not exactly celebrating the holiday, just enjoying a day off.
You guys wrote some of the best Christmas songs, though.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-05-19, 06:32 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
?

outside influence testing the US ahead of 2020 elections,ultimate goal to divide the country.
Old 12-05-19, 06:34 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Manufactured outrage, the joke is on you.
Old 12-05-19, 06:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
As a follow on to my previous comments, I'll offer the thoughts of these educated independent females.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Hu3-mJI9c

Crazy that a middle aged redneck male can think the same way an educated independent female can huh?

Is the definition of "Educated independent women" all inclusive. Does it include women like Dana Loesch, Star Parker, Angela McGlowan, Kaitlin Bennett etc...?
I am guessing in the way that it was used, was no.
Old 12-05-19, 06:48 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Solution?

Digital detox.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 12-05-19, 07:14 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I wouldn't presume to speak for any group as a whole. Especially as if the thoughts within that group are monolithic. That kind of stereotyping is the basis for bigotry.

That aside, do you really think the intent was to send subliminal offensive messages?
Are you being intentionally argumentative?
Pages and pages of (mainly older) men on a bike forum venting their spleens about how women shouldn't be offended by an ad that portrays a woman as weak is exactly that. My comments were that women can decide for themselves what offends them or not, they don't men to decide that for them. How much or how little is up to them, not us.
That's not stereotypical or bigoted. Quite the opposite. It allows that other groups may not look at things from the same perspective as the group I belong to, so my interpretation may not be their interpretation. How much or little they feel about an issue is up to them, not me.
Old 12-05-19, 07:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
I brought this up to my wife today. She is college educated, has a jd, and I would classify as a busy successful married woman with kids.

She had seen the commercial last night tnight article and had these thoughts-
- why is she nervous?
- the commercial sucked.
- what is all the uproar over?

I explained that its perceived as the husband is domineering and/or demanding she stay trim.
that brought a confused look since it hadn't even crossed her mind.

In the end, its seen how you want to see it. If you want to see a dominant and borderline abusive husband, you will see one.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-05-19, 07:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Are you being intentionally argumentative?
Pages and pages of (mainly older) men on a bike forum venting their spleens about how women shouldn't be offended by an ad that portrays a woman as weak is exactly that. My comments were that women can decide for themselves what offends them or not, they don't men to decide that for them. How much or how little is up to them, not us.
That's not stereotypical or bigoted. Quite the opposite. It allows that other groups may not look at things from the same perspective as the group I belong to, so my interpretation may not be their interpretation. How much or little they feel about an issue is up to them, not me.
The ad did not portray women as weak. That was your skewed perception of the ad. Have you bothered with reading what Peloton has said about why they went the direction with the ad that they did? Should we summarily dismiss the spirit of the ad? I can literally find offense in anything, and that was the underlying message in my previous post. See how that works?

The two wonderful women in the room with me did not find offense in the ad. One is a college liberal arts major and another is a music teacher FWIW. My wife asked if any man could get a woman exercise equipment as a gift. I got her a FitBit for Christmas. What am I trying to suggest? Should I take it back? My step daughter, who is woke by today's standards, asked if she would be allowed to buy a guy exercise equipment or if that would be offensive.
Old 12-05-19, 07:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

If you want to take offense to an ad, go You Tube some of Black Rifle Coffee Company's ads.
Old 12-05-19, 08:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
My responses in bold.

The ad did not portray women as weak. Thank goodness a man cleared that up - those women who think that must just be wrong then That was your skewed perception of the ad I don't have a perception of the ad, just a perception that it's not my place to tell women who do that their perception is wrong. Have you bothered with reading what Peloton has said about why they went the direction with the ad that they did? Should we summarily dismiss the spirit of the ad? I already said that the error doesn't seem intentional, just a miscalculation of the reaction by the end user I can literally find offense in anything, You can or can't - it's up to you - but as a man should you have an opinion on whether a woman does? and that was the underlying message in my previous post. See how that works? Not really

The two wonderful women in the room with me did not find offense in the ad. One is a college liberal arts major and another is a music teacher FWIW. My wife asked if any man could get a woman exercise equipment as a gift. I got her a FitBit for Christmas. What am I trying to suggest? Should I take it back? My step daughter, who is woke by today's standards, asked if she would be allowed to buy a guy exercise equipment or if that would be offensive. Have you even watched the ad in question? There's a lot more going on there than that - it's a whole deliberately constructed story line

Why not just let the players involved work it out.

This isn't a great social injustice issue. It's a basic economic issue between a corp and its target market that they seem to have inadvertently offended by a poorly thought out commercial. They will adjust and the market will bear out their success or failure. Perhaps they may look to other sports related industry adverts and see how they portray women in those cases. My experience viewing those is that the women are portrayed as strong and capable and want the product to confirm that image. Peleton should have reaffirmed that desired self image instead of suggesting they were fearful, hesitant and not aware or capable of seeing their own potential without the help of their husbands. That was a poorly thought out message to send to women. Do/will all women share the same view? No, but predictably in a post feminist 2019 environment where everything is scrutinized, it is predictable that some would and they have made themselves heard.

Compare and contrast.

Old 12-05-19, 08:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Don't know about this ad in particular, but no question that Peloton has been marketed with spectacular success.
Basically, they've sold an in-home spin class. Making the machine on the expensive end may provide them with some protection from the churn rate most subscription services have--psychologically hard to quit when you have a large sunken investment. I'd love to see the metrics of usage over time, I'll bet a fair number of people pay the fees and never use it, always intending to start next week. As we know, the biggest problem with home exercise equipment is its tendency to become a very expensive device for hanging clothes.
Ha! learned just on thanks giving that my sis and her husband only recently bought one. it does not get used very much.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-05-19, 08:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
My responses in bold.

Why not just let the players involved work it out.

This isn't a great social injustice issue. It's a basic economic issue between a corp and its target market that they seem to have inadvertently offended by a poorly thought out commercial. They will adjust and the market will bear out their success or failure. Perhaps they may look to other sports related industry adverts and see how they portray women in those cases. My experience viewing those is that the women are portrayed as strong and capable and want the product to confirm that image. Peleton should have reaffirmed that desired self image instead of suggesting they were fearful, hesitant and not aware or capable of seeing their own potential without the help of their husbands. That was a poorly thought out message to send to women. Do/will all women share the same view? No, but predictably in a post feminist 2019 environment where everything is scrutinized, it is predictable that some would and they have made themselves heard.

Compare and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whpJ19RJ4JY

I am done here. If I haven't come off as mansplaining yet, I am certain that is inevitable.
Old 12-05-19, 08:59 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
I am done here.
So is this thread, it’s out of gas.