Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

teach your children well?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 07:03 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

We have two teenagers, ages 16 and 18 at this point. Neither has any interest in learning to drive. I'm happy about this, maybe even proud of this. Should I be?

I learned when I was 23. I've never owned a car in my own name. My wife and I co-owned a few, but now the family car is in her name alone. And it's very small. I get around by bike and public transport; I've been doing this as long as my kids can remember. I suspect I have, in some fashion, modeled a lifestyle where a car isn't quite essential.

Nonetheless, there are times when I need a car. Yesterday I borrowed one; occasionally I rent one. Obviously, I keep my license up to date.

Anyway, about these kids. I think I'll give them a few years to get comfortable with responsibility, independence, maturity, and that kind of thing; but sooner or later they're going to have to learn to drive. I'm not really thrilled about that, but I think it's the right thing to do. Have you had to deal with this, or is this in your future? How did you? How will you?
Old 06-16-15, 07:25 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My grandson, who just turned 16, lives in my household. We have always done the carfree thing together--walking, bicycling, and taking the bus. Now he talks about wanting to get his license, but so far there's no sense of urgency. We live in a working class inner city location and he goes to a big city high school. I don't think any of his friends drive yet and I know none have their own cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-16-15, 09:47 AM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's probably an easier sell in urban areas than in suburban or rural locales just because of the distances involved, the ability to get to interesting places without driving for 20-30 minutes. It's one of the reasons I live as close to the center of our city as finances allow. My kids are 7-3, so this hasn't come up yet, but good job on yours, guys/gals.
Old 06-16-15, 01:04 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm dubious about that claim that they will have to learn to drive sooner or later. I have known many adults who never had a driver's license, even though they could have. All of them got along just fine.
Old 06-16-15, 02:39 PM
Drv1913
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that learning how to drive is a useful skill. I do not have children, but I do have a young relative who has just gotten her learner's permit. I am glad that she is learning how to drive and will ultimately get her driver's license, but one of the things that I plan to help her with is learning how to also get around without a car so that she has more choices, from whether or not to actually own a car to how to get to a specific destination in the best (for her) possible way, which might include car-sharing services or rental cars if she does not have her own car. I like having options. If we ever get hovercars or personal helicopters, I will learn how to use those too, although, I seriously doubt that I would get one of my own.
Old 06-16-15, 03:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ro-monster
I'm dubious about that claim that they will have to learn to drive sooner or later. I have known many adults who never had a driver's license, even though they could have. All of them got along just fine.
Its not only my hope, but my opinion that cars will become increasingly unpopular in urban areas in the near future. It should be a lot easier for the young kids of today to get along without driving than it was for our generations.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-16-15, 04:19 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There are people who never get licenses. Not all in big cities, but many probably have other people drive them around.
Old 06-16-15, 06:16 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My son is twenty-four. He's never had any interest in getting a driver's license. When we were living sixty miles from town and he decided his interests required the amenities of a city, we moved into town. He understands that life has choices. He could forego his interests in chess and martial arts, we could give up our forest abode, or we could make regular use of a car. Different people may make different choices, but for us this was a pretty easy decision.

His peers mostly look at things the same way. They see driving as an unsustainable luxury that is emblematic of old people who don't give a bleep about anyone but themselves. I doubt if any of them will ever see a need for a license.
Old 06-16-15, 10:09 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My stepdaughter got her license when she was 17. At first, she showed absolutely no interest in driving. But, she lives on a farm and realized that it would be easier to get a job (that pays more than working on the farm) and participate in school activities and internships if she got her license. There is public transit available, but it's a bit of a hike to get there. Pretty scary for a kid, especially if it's cold and dark.
Old 06-17-15, 05:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would strongly encourage young people to get their drivers license, even if they choose to be car-free. You don't know what the future holds and maybe at some point in your life you will need to drive. Not having drivers license will limit your employment opportunities. Many employers require their employees to have a valid drivers license and a clean driving record. I don't know of too many people who spend their entire adult life in this modern world without having drivers license.
Old 06-17-15, 09:57 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
We have two teenagers, ages 16 and 18 at this point. Neither has any interest in learning to drive. I'm happy about this, maybe even proud of this. Should I be?

I learned when I was 23. I've never owned a car in my own name. My wife and I co-owned a few, but now the family car is in her name alone. And it's very small. I get around by bike and public transport; I've been doing this as long as my kids can remember. I suspect I have, in some fashion, modeled a lifestyle where a car isn't quite essential.

Nonetheless, there are times when I need a car. Yesterday I borrowed one; occasionally I rent one. Obviously, I keep my license up to date.

Anyway, about these kids. I think I'll give them a few years to get comfortable with responsibility, independence, maturity, and that kind of thing; but sooner or later they're going to have to learn to drive. I'm not really thrilled about that, but I think it's the right thing to do. Have you had to deal with this, or is this in your future? How did you? How will you?
That's great. I've certainly seen it go both ways - kids either embrace their parents lifestyle, or totally reject it. Hopefully this means you have a good relationship with your kids.

I was not in a hurry to get my license. I knew I had to save all my money. I could afford to save for a car, or college, but not both. College looked like a heck of a lot more fun - and it was!

I did get my license about half way through my senior year in high school, but it was easier and cheaper back then. Driver's ed was a free class in high school; my behind the wheel instructor was also the graphic arts instructor.

I bought my first car when I was 22, and have had one ever since, I'm sorry to say. Skiing is one of my passions in life, and you need a car to get to the slopes (unless you live in Salt Lake, or some parts of Colorado - or are a ski bum at Big Sky ski resort. I knew I should have kept working there!)
Old 06-17-15, 10:01 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would strongly encourage young people to get their drivers license, even if they choose to be car-free. You don't know what the future holds and maybe at some point in your life you will need to drive. Not having drivers license will limit your employment opportunities. Many employers require their employees to have a valid drivers license and a clean driving record. I don't know of too many people who spend their entire adult life in this modern world without having drivers license.
Not only should you get your license, you should learn how to drive a stick shift! If you can still find one.
Old 06-18-15, 06:49 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by loky1179
T
I bought my first car when I was 22, and have had one ever since, I'm sorry to say. Skiing is one of my passions in life, and you need a car to get to the slopes (unless you live in Salt Lake, or some parts of Colorado - or are a ski bum at Big Sky ski resort. I knew I should have kept working there!)
I don't know about those places, but here in Michigan there are charter bus tours to the ski resorts. I have never been on a ski bus, but frequently see ads in the newspaper. A two second google search reveals that they can also be found online.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-18-15, 09:15 PM
rockmom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 15 year old has no interest in driving. It's her choice. The 12 year old is tentatively considering it as a possibility. Once again, it's his choice. I usually only enforce health, safety, and math/science.
Old 06-18-15, 09:30 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
That's great. I've certainly seen it go both ways - kids either embrace their parents lifestyle, or totally reject it. Hopefully this means you have a good relationship with your kids.

I was not in a hurry to get my license. I knew I had to save all my money. I could afford to save for a car, or college, but not both. College looked like a heck of a lot more fun - and it was!

I did get my license about half way through my senior year in high school, but it was easier and cheaper back then. Driver's ed was a free class in high school; my behind the wheel instructor was also the graphic arts instructor.

Which press make/model --was the star of the class?