Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Probably won't make any friends with this post but....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Probably won't make any friends with this post but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 09:04 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
"the kind only bicyclists know of" ... I think that's a line out of one of several books. It could be self-flagellation is finding a new outlet.

Not to be a party pooper Raydog, I suspect the ladies finishing spin class are experiencing exactly the same feelings as you. But, I do agree that the 'stuff' part of bicycling is a distraction, bordering on a fetish.

Personally, finishing a long ride, doing a little recovery time, then going for a run or working in the yard..., getting ready to go out for the evening, now that's a rewarding day plan. You can have my pain, consider it all yours.
Old 09-26-11, 09:05 PM
raydog

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Raydog, your method doesn't sound like much fun. Just sayin... I think I'd have to put on my madmax helmet to ride with you. I'm wondering has pushing your pain threshold ever resulted in an injury of some sort?
I am so impressed with your response! Actual nut n bolts dialog. Actually, last year I did a stress treadmill with a sports Doc, I do a full blood panel twice a year and as I mentioned, always ride with cardiac monitoring. Don't get me wrong, easy days and rest days have been really important in my regimen as well. This last summer I rode the Bike Tour of Colorado and totally shut down for the week prior. Cheers.
Old 09-26-11, 09:07 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
I think I'm with you on this one raydog. Although I'm only 48 yrs old, I have never done any serious conditioning without "pain". There is, of course, time to relax and chat about this and that aspect of cycling, (like right now) and there is time for leisurely rides around the lakes. But there is also time to get out out and push yourself until you feel like you can't push yourself any further, only to find that yes, you can! That's when rolling into the garage feels sooo good. Not only have you pushed your body, but you've expanded your concept of what you are capable of.
Thanks for your open mind, I fully agree with all you said.
Old 09-26-11, 09:10 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raydog
I am so impressed with your response! Actual nut n bolts dialog. Actually, last year I did a stress treadmill with a sports Doc, I do a full blood panel twice a year and as I mentioned, always ride with cardiac monitoring. Don't get me wrong, easy days and rest days have been really important in my regimen as well. This last summer I rode the Bike Tour of Colorado and totally shut down for the week prior. Cheers.
Still; you don't sound like your having fun.
Old 09-26-11, 09:15 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
"the kind only bicyclists know of" ... I think that's a line out of one of several books. It could be self-flagellation is finding a new outlet.

Not to be a party pooper Raydog, I suspect the ladies finishing spin class are experiencing exactly the same feelings as you. But, I do agree that the 'stuff' part of bicycling is a distraction, bordering on a fetish.

Personally, finishing a long ride, doing a little recovery time, then going for a run or working in the yard..., getting ready to go out for the evening, now that's a rewarding day plan. You can have my pain, consider it all yours.
Well, I've trekked, swam, done long distance running and a bunch of other stuff, the feeling I refer to after an intense ride only comes from bicycling. Maybe I didn't explain it well but it's there for me and part of my love for this sport. I didn't get it out of any books, I just experience it after each ride and I hope many others do as well. Yes, I enjoy living my live outside of bicycling as you do, but those boat rides and dinner parties are so much more appreciated after a good ride.
Old 09-26-11, 09:20 PM
teachme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I've trekked, swam, done long distance running and a bunch of other stuff, the feeling I refer to after an intense ride only comes from bicycling. Maybe I didn't explain it well but it's there for me and part of my love for this sport. I didn't get it out of any books, I just experience it after each ride and I hope many others do as well. Yes, I enjoy living my live outside of bicycling as you do, but those boat rides and dinner parties are so much more appreciated after a good ride.
Why didn't you just say that to start with rather than slaming people for not wanting to push the pain threshold?
Old 09-26-11, 09:22 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still; you don't sound like your having fun.
But I am! I love being a big old guy riding along for miles and miles. This thread is "50 plus" I often wonder how many 64 year olds do what I do, I can't imagine that there aren't dozens of other "in shape seniors" that think the same stuff, knowing that we are probably in the top 1-2% of our age group in fittness....ahhh but now I will get blamed for bragging and being an elitist and "looking down" at others! This is new for me because I've never been this old and I'm loving it!
Old 09-26-11, 09:27 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
But I am! I love being a big old guy riding along for miles and miles. This thread is "50 plus" I often wonder how many 64 year olds do what I do, I can't imagine that there aren't dozens of other "in shape seniors" that think the same stuff, knowing that we are probably in the top 1-2% of our age group in fittness....ahhh but now I will get blamed for bragging and being an elitist and "looking down" at others! This is new for me because I've never been this old and I'm loving it!
And I am almost 72 and "loving it" also. Isn't that the point? Each of us finds our own way of "loving it?" And, yes, I do resistance exercises, swim, walk, bicycle, stretch - at the pace and rate where I am sure that I will continue "loving it." That does not include "pain" - which may, indeed be a semantical disrupter.

I am still not quite sure why you posted - perhaps you want others to join in your "pain?"

However, I am also in the top 1-2% of fitness for folks in my age range. I just do it for enjoyment - MY enjoyment.
Old 09-26-11, 09:28 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm 215 lbs and 64 years old (this isn't about me, I'm just the only example I know a lot about)
Yeah, it's about you. You're just so much better than the rest of us, aren't you?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-26-11, 09:32 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why didn't you just say that to start with rather than slaming people for not wanting to push the pain threshold?
Good question, a couple of years ago I was way back in the Sierras with a group of young bicycle studs and I just about gave up. A guy (whom I really respect) took me by the shoulders and told me (in so many words) to suck it up and ignore the pain. Kind of a wake up call for me, it really changed my approach towards bicycle fittness. A few days ago I was reading the Bike Forums and it occured/seemed to me that some folks (not all) just were pissy and moany about so many things bicycle....and they were kind of beating around the bush instead of just getting on the bike and hammering! Maybe I'm not explaining myself well but that's about as good as I can do on the subject. I suppose I should have just not posted!
Old 09-26-11, 09:35 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And I am almost 72 and "loving it" also. Isn't that the point? Each of us finds our own way of "loving it?" And, yes, I do resistance exercises, swim, walk, bicycle, stretch - at the pace and rate where I am sure that I will continue "loving it." That does not include "pain" - which may, indeed be a semantical disrupter.

I am still not quite sure why you posted - perhaps you want others to join in your "pain?"

However, I am also in the top 1-2% of fitness for folks in my age range. I just do it for enjoyment - MY enjoyment.
And I honor you and hope I stay as active as you are.
Old 09-26-11, 09:38 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Raydog, I don't exactly think like you. However, I would like to point out that for me, part of the enjoyment of an event is the feeling of accomplishment afterwards, and not just the sensations of the moment. So working very hard to achieve a goal may involve some discomfort of the moment, but still be overall a worthwhile and pleasurable thing, and it seems to me, that ties in with your thought up there.
Old 09-26-11, 09:39 PM
teachme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good question, a couple of years ago I was way back in the Sierras with a group of young bicycle studs and I just about gave up. A guy (whom I really respect) took me by the shoulders and told me (in so many words) to suck it up and ignore the pain. Kind of a wake up call for me, it really changed my approach towards bicycle fittness. A few days ago I was reading the Bike Forums and it occured/seemed to me that some folks (not all) just were pissy and moany about so many things bicycle....and they were kind of beating around the bush instead of just getting on the bike and hammering! Maybe I'm not explaining myself well but that's about as good as I can do on the subject. I suppose I should have just not posted!
No. I'm glad you posted. What you are talking about is finding the athlete within. Something that a percent of people may never realize without digging deep into the soul of their cycling abilities. What you are saying is one should wake up the bear... I read you raydog, I read you.
Old 09-26-11, 09:40 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Yeah, it's about you. You're just so much better than the rest of us, aren't you?
You don't know me, what is "better than the rest of us" mean? We are all equal and trying to survive on this planet. You can characterize me any way you like but the point remains....we don't improve unless we push ourselves. I'm happy that I'm noticing improvement, not because of Dura Ace parts but because of my effort. I don't think it's a sin or a crime to speak of it on this forum.
Old 09-26-11, 09:44 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Raydog, I don't exactly think like you. However, I would like to point out that for me, part of the enjoyment of an event is the feeling of accomplishment afterwards, and not just the sensations of the moment. So working very hard to achieve a goal may involve some discomfort of the moment, but still be overall a worthwhile and pleasurable thing, and it seems to me, that ties in with your thought up there.
John Cougar Mellancamp "Hurts so Good" !
Old 09-26-11, 09:45 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
FYI - I ride

13 yo Lemond BA with 105
Windsor Leeds with Sora
A recumbent with ???? but the whole thing only cost $350
A Spec Rock Hopper with - well - whatever came on it
A trainer in the basement - Spec HR, 1998.

Just sayin . . .
Old 09-26-11, 09:47 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I'm glad you posted. What you are talking about is finding the athlete within. Something that a percent of people may never realize without digging deep into the soul of their cycling abilities. What you are saying is one should wake up the bear... I read you raydog, I read you.
Bingo....that is so right on!
Old 09-26-11, 10:00 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-26-11, 10:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

You don't know me, what is "better than the rest of us" mean? We are all equal and trying to survive on this planet. You can characterize me any way you like but the point remains....we don't improve unless we push ourselves. I'm happy that I'm noticing improvement, not because of Dura Ace parts but because of my effort. I don't think it's a sin or a crime to speak of it on this forum.
I don't know you, of course. All I know is what you post, and this thread is just one big bragfest by you. You know how you're coming across, thus the thread title. Just stop bragging, huh?

Old 09-26-11, 10:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,724 Times in 2,541 Posts
what fun is cycling without bragging? And pain.
Old 09-26-11, 10:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Lots of fun, actually.

Old 09-26-11, 10:41 PM
raydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know you, of course. All I know is what you post, and this thread is just one big bragfest by you. You know how you're coming across, thus the thread title. Just stop bragging, huh?
Bragfest? I guess when excitment, progress and mild levels of success are achieved and I refer to it....that's a bragfest. The core of my intentions are to make a few folks push it a little more, and improve. Many potential responses come to mind here, but it's best if I just suggest you go to other threads where the OP's are more humble and submissive.
Old 09-26-11, 10:48 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience has ban a lot different from the OPs. This is my third go around with Cycling; Once while I was just out of college, once about 20 years ago and now. In racing I understand pushing through pain but not in normal cycling. I am not a climber because I am not a 145 pound lightweight, but I live in a valley and there is a big beautiful mountain just east of town. So if I want to ride up that mountain I have to climb close to 5000 feet and if I want to climb with friends I have to push myself. And push myself I have been. One of the men that rides with our club and climbs like a pro rides with us every once in a while and several times he has passed me and we have talked. Well he talked I grunted.

At the 4400 foot mark there is a water stop and I pulled up one day close to exhausted. He asked me how I was doing and I gave him to old cliché, no pain no gain. He laughed hard and said, with as many miles as I ride every year and with as many times as I have climbed that mountain the better answer would be if it hurts that bad I am not doing it right. When we got home he told me to get an 11x32 cassette and a longer reach derailleur and learn to spin when my legs started to complain and mash if my lungs were having trouble. The next time up the hill I cut my time by 30 minutes and wonder of wonders, it didn’t hurt. I still sweat like a champ but I was up for a metric the next day and learned the wonders of Vitamin I.

Just ask DNVR how many times I have said, I hate hills. But I have learned they don’t need to hurt to do them right.
Old 09-26-11, 11:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
You must be kidding, maybe I didn't make myself clear, the pain is the result of intense self effort not an ill fitted bicycle. My point is we place too much effort on avoiding pain at the expense of conditioning improvement.
Uh, so it's not OK to just enjoy the ride, the road, the air and the machine? It's not OK to just ride for transportation? The only point is "conditioning improvement"?

****, 58 years old and I've been clueless the whole time! Thanks boss!
Old 09-26-11, 11:12 PM
vuduchyld5

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad is 62...His bike has no saddle, and he wraps his hands in barbed wire and rubs finely ground shards of glass into his eyes before each ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.