Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Insole/footbed recommendations from plantar faciitis sufferers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 10:15 AM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have orthotics for PF that I use in my daily footwear, but they're tough to jam in my new Mavics. Besides not wanting to mangle them getting them in and out, I'm concerned the fit might be just a little too snug with them anyway. So for now I'm just going to use the insoles they came with which seem pretty good but don't provide much arch support.

If I decide I need more support, Sole Thin Sports sound like they might work, and I like their price. Any other recommendations from you guys with PF?
Old 09-01-16, 10:17 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Trim them with some sharp shears.

Old 09-01-16, 10:52 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I've used Specailized and Sportsfeet. They both come in varying amounts of support.
Old 09-01-16, 11:19 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use the Sole insoles and they work great, but even the thin ones need enough space in my shoes that I go up half a size.

Superfeet and Specialized insoles are thinner, but are not moldable like the Sole's and the pre-set arch support in those didn't match the shape of my feet.
Old 09-01-16, 11:40 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
in my vast experience with PF and insoles (otc and custom), i'd say keep trying things until you find something that is comfortable and keeps the PF away. PF doesn't affect me as much on the bike as in other sports where the foot is flexing. i need a much more rigid arch support in normal shoes, but can get away with less structure in a bike shoe (or ski boot).

Sole and Superfeet are good choices, and I often add an extra arch cushion underneath too.
Old 09-01-16, 12:23 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,520 Posts
This is a different perspective, but the only way I could get rid of PF was to get rid of the shoes with support and let my feet get stronger. I had it for about 3 years. The transition was painful for about 3 weeks, but then it started getting better and went away. In fact, it got worse before it got better, but I saw it through. Now all of the shoes I wear have plenty of cushioning, but little support. I had to get rid of the stiff soled cycling shoes and go back to cages and straps.

I know that is not what you wanted to read.
Old 09-01-16, 12:54 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
the weird thing about PF is how differently it manifests itself for different people, and what works for them to get rid of it. the studies i have seen show little or no curative power of custom orthotics, which is not to say they don't prevent it in the first place. some people can cure and prevent by having stronger foot muscles (wish that had worked for me), so often it is just trying different approaches and seeing what works.

i bet i'd have PF again in a heartbeat if i used non-rigid cycling shoes, but my physiology is certainly not the same as seypat's

Originally Posted by seypat
This is a different perspective, but the only way I could get rid of PF was to get rid of the shoes with support and let my feet get stronger. I had it for about 3 years. The transition was painful for about 3 weeks, but then it started getting better and went away. In fact, it got worse before it got better, but I saw it through. Now all of the shoes I wear have plenty of cushioning, but little support. I had to get rid of the stiff soled cycling shoes and go back to cages and straps.

I know that is not what you wanted to read.
Old 09-01-16, 02:53 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,520 Posts
Like I said, once I decided on a direction, it got a whole lot worse before it got better. I was a basketball player. I finally had to give it up around 45 years young. I couldn't get rid of PF after about 3 years of pain. I would play at night and couldn't get down the stairs the next day. I had to slide down them on my butt. That is why I am into cycling and endurance sports now. I have really tight connective tissue around the joints. I also get cramps in the feet/arches as well.

So, I quit the court sports and had to take up something else. I began cycling and some swimming as well. The PF was hanging tough. I would get off the bike after a century and the PFs and Achilles would be so tight. Stretching wasn't helping much. The wife is a runner and wanted me to become one as well. How was I going to do that with PF? I needed some running shoes but there are 9 million brands and types out there. I started reading and researching. Neutral, pronation, supination, natural, barefoot running, blah, blah blah. I concluded that my feet muscles had gotten weak from all of those years in basketball shoes. I got rid of all of my shoes with support and bought ones without it, with flexible soles, etc. I went out and bought a pair of Asics Natural 33 series for my gait. They were supposed to be a transition shoe into minimalist running. I started running in them and wearing them on the stationary bike in spin classes. That climbing out of the saddle was rough, but nothing compared to the running. I would go about a mile from the house and have to turn back around because of the pain. BUT, and this is a big but, I would wake up in the morning and the pain was not there! Then, as time wore on the pain on the runs and on the bike climbing got less and less and finally disappeared. Since then I have been pain free. I still get cramps in my arches from time to time. I haven't stepped back on a court to see how that feels. I have run 2 marathons, 15 to 20 halfs and a lot more 5-10ks plus the training that goes with them. I've went through about 10 pairs of those shoes as well. Each year, I try to move a little closer to the minimalist side. That's my story.
Old 09-02-16, 12:58 PM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Guys - thanks for the great input. Yesterday I did 15 miles with just the insoles the shoe came with and my feet were fine. I hope to do 25-30 tomorrow and see how they do.

I also checked out the Sole and Superfeet insoles at my local REI, and will probably try one of those or something similar if I start getting some pain.
Old 09-02-16, 01:43 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've used Specailized and Sportsfeet. They both come in varying amounts of support.
Same, both worked quite well for me.
Old 09-05-16, 08:57 AM
jameshh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had plantar fasciitis for ages and ages but eventually I just decided to do something about it and went on the hunt for some decent insoles too.. I looked at the superfeet ones however one of my friends who bought super feet says not to buy them because our just paying a massive premium for a brand name and that you can buy insoles with no brand for £10 that support your feet just as good. I ended up with these insoles for only £10 but have been really good and within just 2 weeks my feet went from super inflammed to just about normal. YAY!
Here is the link to them https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/plantar-fasciitis-arch-support-insoles/

Last edited by jameshh; 09-07-16 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-05-16, 06:48 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I suffered with PF for a long time. PowerStep insoles solved my issues and I use in all my shoes. I wear Sidi cycling shoes in their narrow version and cut PowerStep insoles to fit with metal shears. SuperFeet are similar but my Podiatrist friend recommended trying PowerSteps for PF.
Old 09-15-16, 03:45 PM
Gasser5.2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just an update - went to my LBS and got some Specialized SLs this past Sunday. 60+ miles so far, and really like them! No hotspots and they fit my shoes perfectly, feet great, and provide better arch support. Also got a few pairs of Swiftwick compression socks in the 4" height, and they feel great too! The lady that helped me really knew her stuff, which is typical of my LBS and why I like to shop there even if I can find stuff cheaper online.

When I was 29 and diagnosed with heel spurs and plantar faciitis, the podiatrist told me I had the feet of a 50 year old. Now I'm 59, but with my shoes/footbed/socks combo I feel like I have the feet of a 29 year old!

Last edited by Gasser5.2; 09-15-16 at 04:37 PM.