Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The dumbest thing you did in ya life

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-16-18, 02:18 PM
windhchaser 

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

for me i was a very young kid and i tryied to put water wings on my feet so i could walk on water
Old 05-16-18, 02:39 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
for me i was a very young kid and i tryied to put water wings on my feet so i could walk on water
Thread drift...although this may still qualify as Dumb Things We Did When We Were Young:

My Dad was a salesman for the polystyrenics division of a large petrochemical company. He sold the raw plastic materials that manufacturers used to fabricate products made of expandable foam plastic (aka "styrofoam" although that's a loaded term). Most of his clients manufacturered beer coolers or home insulation or coffee cups etc. For a brief time McDonald's used his product when their Big Macs were sold in a foam plastic clamshell container. Other clients made packing material, foam peanuts, industrial inserts to cushion fragile equipment (or fruits/vegetables) in transit.

One of his clients made shoes that allowed you to walk on water.

"Shoes" is probably a misnomer: These were like small pontoons, ~4' long, that fit around your foot. But, with practice -- a lot of practice -- you could indeed walk on water. Or at least stand on water: They definitely floated, but generating forward momentum was the real trick.
Dad was given a half dozen pairs of these shoes by the manufacturer, and my family would dutifully drag them to every beach and lake resort we visited for much of my early adolescence.

Fun times.
Old 05-16-18, 02:40 PM
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Certainly not my "dumbest" move, but possibly noteworthy. As a kid I was into BMX on my Stingray. I was wanting to keep the back wheel down in the bumps, so I though adding some weight might be a good idea (to hold down the rear wheel).

I took the valve core out and filled the tube with water. Then put the core back in and added the air. It did keep the wheel planted. That wasn't always the best scenario (like when going off jumps). The ride was also very harsh (LOL).

After a couple sessions, on my way home, the tire blew out. It shredded my tire and I was soaked. My friends really enjoyed it.... I moved onto other (more conventional) modifications after that.
Old 05-16-18, 04:15 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Trek 2500, Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep doing it, spending to much time on social media platforms, like bike forums.
Old 05-16-18, 05:14 PM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Clicked on this thread.

Old 05-16-18, 05:35 PM
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 74 Posts
Stuck a fork into the outlet while my babysitter watched. She didn't even try to stop me. I must have been about 3. And yes, I remember that. My arm was black all the way to the elbow from the burn. As I got older, I realized that I could have perished.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-16-18, 09:16 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I was about 7. Our house was on a small hill, and in the winter we would sled down the hill on the front side of the house. I got bored with that and took my sled down the hill on the back side of the house. I had forgotten that the previous summer the bottom of the hill was removed and replaced with a 5 foot cinder block retaining wall dropping down to a concrete patio. Lots of bad scrapes. I still have a big scar going across the middle of my back.
Old 05-17-18, 06:52 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got married a second time. didn't learn my lesson after the first!
Old 05-17-18, 08:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9476 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 627 Posts
Went to a New England boarding school. We would often go up to an old cemetery wall by a rail line to party so as to avoid getting busted. We would also watch the two Amtrak trains going to and coming from Montreal. One night I got so drunk I passed out with my head against one of the rails. The only other guy still up there was passed out on the cemetery wall. Fortunately, the trains had already passed.
Old 05-17-18, 08:22 AM
dynodonn
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
I've done so many, and it will take some time to categorize which one will top the list.......I'll have to get back to this at a later date.
Old 05-17-18, 09:18 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
The house I grew up in had no air conditioning, and my parents weren't about to buy a window unit for my room. So I had a window fan. This fan was made in the late 50's early 60's, so it wasn't like the ones you buy today with a full screen that you couldn't put your finger through. It had a grate with openings that a child could stick his or her entire hand in. Don't get your hopes up, they don't call me 'Lefty'. One hot summer day I was in my room, by myself, and had the thought of what would happen if I threw a nickle into the spinning fan blades, The metal fan blades. I shared the room with my brother, so there where two beds, with a nice space to hide between them. I got between the beds, and lofted a nickle towards the fan. I hit my target. The fan blades stopped for a moment, with a loud CLONG. And the fan motor made the very wrong sound an electric motor makes when you try to stop it from turning. The nickle flew off the fan blade, over my head, and impacted with the solid oak door trim. Putting a nice deep nick, the shape of the rim of the nickle, into the oak. I then realized that that may have not been the best idea.
Old 05-17-18, 09:20 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 90 Posts
Yeah too many to pick a "dumbest".
As a kid I was always careful. So no jumping off things and such. Preteen I got less precautionary. I had a cool looking home made chopper bicycle that my cousin convinced me to use to jump evel knevel style over a ditch which quickly ruined the extended forks and rendered the bike unrideable. We switched parts to a BMX frame he had and I had to ride back home(on the other side of town) with my chain falling off every few revolutions.
When I was a young teenager I went to my girlfriends house and I hid in the closet when her dad came home early for lunch. I could hear his footsteps literally 2 feet from her bedroom closet door. You'd think I'd learn my lesson but in my 20s a similar event but this time ex boyfriend. She said get in the closet, I said no, she said please I'll make him leave right away. As I'm in the closet I think I can't believe this is happening to me again. Trust me guys with her light brown eyes and pretty face, and perfect body you would have done the same. Oh BTW my dumbest got dumber as I aged.... I think I'm ok now though.

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-20-18 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 05:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
The house I grew up in had no air conditioning, and my parents weren't about to buy a window unit for my room. So I had a window fan. This fan was made in the late 50's early 60's, so it wasn't like the ones you buy today with a full screen that you couldn't put your finger through. It had a grate with openings that a child could stick his or her entire hand in. Don't get your hopes up, they don't call me 'Lefty'. One hot summer day I was in my room, by myself, and had the thought of what would happen if I threw a nickle into the spinning fan blades, The metal fan blades. I shared the room with my brother, so there where two beds, with a nice space to hide between them. I got between the beds, and lofted a nickle towards the fan. I hit my target. The fan blades stopped for a moment, with a loud CLONG. And the fan motor made the very wrong sound an electric motor makes when you try to stop it from turning. The nickle flew off the fan blade, over my head, and impacted with the solid oak door trim. Putting a nice deep nick, the shape of the rim of the nickle, into the oak. I then realized that that may have not been the best idea.
Pfff, what no finger in the fan blades? Weenie.
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Stuck a fork into the outlet while my babysitter watched. She didn't even try to stop me. I must have been about 3. And yes, I remember that. My arm was black all the way to the elbow from the burn. As I got older, I realized that I could have perished.
The impact of the event. I think I was 7 and knew better. I was just a curious George and needed to investigate everything.
2) Turned on the stove waited until the burner was red hot then put my finger on it. Still remember the sizzling sound and the smell of burnt flesh. Hey, I was a kid, alright.
3) Put a metal pan on my head thinking I could fly and jumped off the roof of my house.
4) Drank bleach when I was 3. I didn't do it on purpose thought. My brother was doing laundry and I was thirsty. And yes, still remember the taste, when I did it again at 43. Flashback! I could go on.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-19-18 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 12:41 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
How about sticking my tongue into an empty Christmas tree light socket that was plugged in. When I fell back onto the linoleum tiled concrete floor and hit my head It knocked me right out. I was four or five and vaguely remember coming to with our Chinese-American family doctor sitting over me in a chair while I was on our couch. (Yeah they made house calls back then and he lived down the street from us anyway). He said that I interrupted watching his "Gunsmoke" show.
Old 05-22-18, 02:55 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 93 Posts
My sister did the same thing with a barrette but without the babysitter.
Old 05-22-18, 10:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 275 Posts
It would give me a headache trying to think up the worst of the stupid stuff I've done and survived. But it includes pretty much everything else you other folks did. It's a wonder we survive childhood.

Still, none of it tops the dumbest thing I ever did: Marrying my first future ex-wife. All things considered, I'd rather stick a paper clip in an electrical outlet while drinking Lysol as I'm jumping off a roof into a pile of lighted firecrackers.
Old 05-28-18, 12:05 PM
Will G

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Too many to count but most would have resulted in my friends attending my funeral saying "That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone do." Better to be lucky than good.