Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide between a few road bikes for my wife! (shh .. it's a surprise!)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me decide between a few road bikes for my wife! (shh .. it's a surprise!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 12:04 PM
Bopat23

Bikes: Opus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

New forum member here. After ages of not having ridden much, my wife and I have decided to do a lot more riding on the cusp of us hitting the 40s (the new 30s).

I am looking to buy my wife a new road bike for her birthday. I surprised her exactly 10 years ago with a Giant OCR 2, and now I'd like to do it again ten years on as she contemplates long weekend rides and starting her causal tri participation.

With a budget of about 1500-2000 USD, I have visited a few of the local shops in Dallas and narrowed my choices down to a couple of bikes with very similar specs:

1 2018 Cervelo R2 with 105 @ $ 2100 USD (Retail 2400) (Red color scheme)
2. 2018 Argon 18 Kryppton with 105 @ 1700 USD (Retail is 2000?) (Black and Red color scheme)

Both full carbon, 105 bikes, and, us being Canadian, double brownie points for both being Canadian companies.

I know she has always looked at other people's Cervelo's and we have both thought of them as unattainable for our budget, but at this price point, it seems so hard to resist.
I checked out the Argon in person too, and it seems like a very sweet bike.

Having a hard time deciding between these two!! Any feedback, especially if you have owned or ridden either of the two, would be huge.

One big thing going for the Argon dealer is their 30-day trial and return policy for something else, and also their trade in, where I might be able to get a little money for the Giant OCR. But this is less important, as I can probably sell this for more than the trade in.
The Cervelo folks don't have much going in terms of their incentives. But that Cervelo ... damn!
Old 09-20-18, 09:32 PM
Bopat23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone with any inputs on here?
Old 09-21-18, 06:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Bopat23
I am looking to buy my wife a new road bike for her birthday. I know she has always looked at other people's Cervelo's and we have both thought of them as unattainable for our budget, but at this price point, it seems so hard to resist. The Cervelo folks don't have much going in terms of their incentives. But that Cervelo ... damn!
No-brainer.
You are spending $2000, and buying something which your wife will probably be using for a decade or three. So saving a few hundred here or there, amortized over 30 years ... a few pennies a day.

If your wife wants a Cervelo, and has for a while ... imagine how she'd feel if you Didn't buy her a Cervelo, to save a couple hundred bucks, but instead bought her something she hadn't been wanting for along time.
Old 09-21-18, 06:35 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
100% agree with @Maelochs. Plus Cervelo is red - which is usually far more important than any technical specs!
Old 09-21-18, 07:50 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'd suggest surprising her by telling her you are going to get her a bike and offer your suggestions. With a $2k bike, you want to make sure she likes and more importantly, is comfortable on the bike.

Bikes are not on size fits all, even if you get one that should fit.

Last edited by katsup; 09-21-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 07:51 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
tell her what you are doing and let her pick it out. Me personally, would never want to be surprised like that. Yes I appreciate the bike, but to be 100% happy with it I would have to choose it. Maybe just me though
Old 09-21-18, 08:31 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Even though she likes to look at Cervelo, it doesn't mean that R2 is what she wants. Its probably the R5.

That said, she might as well go back to another brand. I have two Cervelo bikes and mine is 10 years old. If I had to get a new Cervelo, I would not choose R2.
Old 09-21-18, 08:59 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I'd give a +1 to getting her input on the purchase.

If you choose for her, even if your choice is 100% correct, you've robbed her of the chance to go out bike shopping. Bike shopping is fun!
Old 09-21-18, 09:03 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I would buy her just some new pedals... then tell her they come with a "free bike" of her choice!
Old 09-21-18, 09:30 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
Another vote NOT to buy her the bike. Bikes and bike fit are just too personal. I rather like the idea of getting her just pedals, plus the promise to go bike shopping.
Old 09-21-18, 09:41 AM
Bopat23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
I would buy her just some new pedals... then tell her they come with a "free bike" of her choice!
This is brilliant!

I surprised her with her OCR 2 and she was over the moon. At the time (2008), she was participating in sprint triathlons with a Trek hybrid, and so I sold my old cyclocross and put money towards the Giant OCR 2. We strolled into a bike shop one day on the pretext of me checking out some bikes, and it was waiting for her with a big ribbon on it. To this day, she says that was the best birthday present she has received, not only because it was an upgrade, but because of the total shock of it.

In fact, when I spill the beans in advance of something, she often says 'aw that's sweet, but why did you tell me?'. All this considered, I think she would still love to be surprised. 10 years on and two kids later, we haven't done much riding to be honest. So I think whatever I get her, this will be quite the upgrade, and not a let down, given that both bikes look neat and are carbon. So, I'm still not sure I want to spill the beans in advance haha.

I wish I could post pics, but I don't have a high enough post count at the moment.
Old 09-21-18, 10:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No-brainer.
You are spending $2000, and buying something which your wife will probably be using for a decade or three. So saving a few hundred here or there, amortized over 30 years ... a few pennies a day.

If your wife wants a Cervelo, and has for a while ... imagine how she'd feel if you Didn't buy her a Cervelo, to save a couple hundred bucks, but instead bought her something she hadn't been wanting for along time.
Yup, I think you are looking for input from the wrong source. Let her pick it out.
Old 09-21-18, 10:36 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So, I'm still not sure I want to spill the beans in advance haha.
Well,you know your wife better than we do. I like the surprise waiting in the bike shop idea because it gives you some wiggle room if she prefers a different color, model etc.
Old 09-21-18, 11:29 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Don't men and women typically need very different geometries? I realize the Cervelo site shows a woman on the R-series, but isn't that really a man's geometry?

Could also do a Colnago C-RS if you like, Velomine still has some 2017s for 50% off ($1200, down from $2400).
Old 09-21-18, 11:37 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I'll be the odd ball here.... Tell her to close her eyes. Wrap the red bandana around her head and over the eyes. Gently lead her out to the garage and tell her when she's ready, take a look. She's going to love that '67 Camaro.!!

Seriously... I'm the odd ball once again. Buy her the Cervelo and surprise her with it at home. She will melt. Guaranteed. Who wouldn't.?? Don't worry about the fit. You can make that part of it better as you roll along.
Old 09-21-18, 12:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I'd give a +1 to getting her input on the purchase.

If you choose for her, even if your choice is 100% correct, you've robbed her of the chance to go out bike shopping. Bike shopping is fun!
This ^

Originally Posted by rgconner
and this ^
Old 09-21-18, 12:12 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I know she has always looked at other people's Cervelo's and we have both thought of them as unattainable for our budget, but at this price point, it seems so hard to resist.
But that Cervelo ... damn!
Get what she WANTS, not what YOU believe is a great deal and seem to be going out of your way to justify and get because it is what YOU want.

Get the Cervelo...that is what she wants. Oh sure, the Argon is a great deal with great incentives...but guess what...she will still be looking at other people's Cervelos.
Old 09-21-18, 12:22 PM
Bopat23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I'll be the odd ball here.... Tell her to close her eyes. Wrap the red bandana around her head and over the eyes. Gently lead her out to the garage and tell her when she's ready, take a look. She's going to love that '67 Camaro.!!

Seriously... I'm the odd ball once again. Buy her the Cervelo and surprise her with it at home. She will melt. Guaranteed. Who wouldn't.?? Don't worry about the fit. You can make that part of it better as you roll along.
Old 09-21-18, 12:45 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
I would buy her a birthday card and take her out to lunch. Then on the way home I need to make a quick pit stop to pick up some bike lube. Drag her inside and tell her pick one.
Old 09-21-18, 01:53 PM
chicagogal

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I gave my husband a bike as a surprise. He was not expecting it and was not involved in the decision-making. I knew what frame material and builder he liked, otherwise, I picked everything. This worked well because I knew what he liked better than he did (I just know bikes and the bicycle industry better than he does). He loved that the bike was a surprise.

When he decided to gift me a new bike, it was not a surprise. He gave me a budget and told me to pick out whatever I wanted. I would have HATED it if he picked the bike himself!

As you can see, people are different in this respect. Only the OP knows his wife and whether she would be happy with a surprise bike or would want to be involved in selecting frame/components.
Old 09-21-18, 01:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
DON't get her a bike, get her a gift certificate for a bike. If you want it to be the bike of her dreams, let her pick it.
Old 09-21-18, 02:32 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by flip flop rider
tell her what you are doing and let her pick it out. Me personally, would never want to be surprised like that. Yes i appreciate the bike, but to be 100% happy with it i would have to choose it. Maybe just me though
+1
Old 09-21-18, 02:45 PM
Bopat23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
I gave my husband a bike as a surprise. He was not expecting it and was not involved in the decision-making. I knew what frame material and builder he liked, otherwise, I picked everything. This worked well because I knew what he liked better than he did (I just know bikes and the bicycle industry better than he does). He loved that the bike was a surprise.

When he decided to gift me a new bike, it was not a surprise. He gave me a budget and told me to pick out whatever I wanted. I would have HATED it if he picked the bike himself!

As you can see, people are different in this respect. Only the OP knows his wife and whether she would be happy with a surprise bike or would want to be involved in selecting frame/components.
It's the same in our situation. I'm the one in the know about the bikes, components, pricing levels etc. My wife loves riding, and having a pretty looking, solid bike. I would also want to pick out my own bike, but I know she would be thrilled with receiving an awesome looking, upgraded bike. Of course there are many pretty looking bikes at a lower price point as well. I am well aware of that. The point is a solid upgrade. I know that how the bike looks matters to her -- drab colors would be out no matter how fantastic a bike it might be. Since her current bike (OCR 2 2008) is a silver/blue ... anything with a different (and colorful!) appearance would be appreciated! Not saying she needs a pink bike haha. Just not a repeat of the same colors, dull grays, blacks etc.

Thank you all for being so helpful in your responses!
Old 09-21-18, 07:49 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love your idea, but I can't imagine buying a bike for my wife without her making the choice.

To me, buying a bike is a very personal matter, involving tangible matters (fit and price), and intangible matters (looks). I love the idea of giving her a little package with pedals, and letting her pick out the bike (and I say that as a Cervelo fan).

Mark
Old 09-21-18, 11:56 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I'd suggest surprising her by telling her you are going to get her a bike and offer your suggestions. With a $2k bike, you want to make sure she likes and more importantly, is comfortable on the bike.

Bikes are not on size fits all, even if you get one that should fit.
Absolutely! This is not the time for surprises.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.