Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Proposed end to cycling around the Rosebowl...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 02:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

The city proposes to block this (where the cyclist is) off...

With this:
Old 03-04-19, 03:29 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Rationale?
Old 03-04-19, 08:47 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Without knowing anything more than what's posted in the picture, I'd say that's probably to prevent vehicle (cars and trucks) from driving through there. The delineator layout looks easy enough for a bicycle to get through (yeah, you have to slow down, no biggie if it was a regular ride for me), and no different than what's at the entrances to the trails along the local rivers trails (SGRT, L.A.R.T near Long Beach, some sections of the SART)..
Old 03-04-19, 09:33 PM
Elvo

Originally Posted by rseeker
Rationale?
Put an end to this:
Old 03-04-19, 10:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I don't think it would be too difficult to get a bike in between bollards spaced 5 feet apart. The bollards on one of the local MUPs here are less than 3' apart, and at an angle to the trail, so they seem even closer.

Looks to me like they're just making it impossible for cars to use. If they wanted to stop bikes, they'd tear the pavement out and put in more grass.
Old 03-05-19, 12:28 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Put an end to this:
Thanks for explaining.
Old 03-05-19, 12:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't think it would be too difficult to get a bike in between bollards spaced 5 feet apart. The bollards on one of the local MUPs here are less than 3' apart, and at an angle to the trail, so they seem even closer.

Looks to me like they're just making it impossible for cars to use. If they wanted to stop bikes, they'd tear the pavement out and put in more grass.
fine with me. the rose bowl is a civic treasure. there are always oodles of people walking, running, cycling, etc around it unless there's a event on. place is a firkin exercise magnet.
looks like the changes will benefit everyone that isn't a motorist. people riding straight bar mtb's may have an issue but they'll adapt and overcome.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-05-19 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 09:36 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Would keep the cars, trucks and the Tue.-and Thurs. peloton from using that lane.
A lone biker might make it through.
Old 03-05-19, 08:07 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

See page 15 of 34 of the attachment from a recent agenda of the City's Public Safety Committee. Its not intended to put up obstacles to bicycling, but to help enhance the loop road for all recreational uses by keeping southbound Rosemont vehicles out of the 'merging' lane so they have to go to the Seco corner, stop, then make a right turn. The deliniators are spaced to prevent vehicles from going through, but allow bicycle riders and pedestrians/joggers to use it. And I'm pretty sure the City is not focused on 30km/hr bicycle groups, but others riding bicycles at a more leisurely pace for a little exercise.

https://ww5.cityofpasadena.net/commi...ar-Meeting.pdf

Look at the video at about 17:10 when they go through the curve and it looks like some of the riders come close to getting hit by the gray sedan. I'll bet the same thing happens right now when cars use that curve to go westbound on Seco and it results in an occasional fender-bender accident.
Old 03-05-19, 08:59 PM
trailangel

Originally Posted by skidder
See page 15 of 34 of the attachment from a recent agenda of the City's Public Safety Committee. Its not intended to put up obstacles to bicycling, but to help enhance the loop road for all recreational uses by keeping southbound Rosemont vehicles out of the 'merging' lane so they have to go to the Seco corner, stop, then make a right turn. The deliniators are spaced to prevent vehicles from going through, but allow bicycle riders and pedestrians/joggers to use it. And I'm pretty sure the City is not focused on 30km/hr bicycle groups, but others riding bicycles at a more leisurely pace for a little exercise.

Look at the video at about 17:10 when they go through the curve and it looks like some of the riders come close to getting hit by the gray sedan. I'll bet the same thing happens right now when cars use that curve to go westbound on Seco and it results in an occasional fender-bender accident.
video at 17:10 is the corner of Seco and West Dr.
16:25 is the corner of Seco and Rosemont where the proposed changes are to take place.
My main gripe about this peloton is they cross the double yellow constantly....likes it's their own personal raceway.
Old 03-06-19, 01:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by skidder

that was my impression as well. i could be totally wrong as usual tho.
Old 03-12-19, 10:36 AM
Elvo

Old 03-12-19, 11:50 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've never done that ride, do you only go through it once or several times?
Old 03-12-19, 11:52 AM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I would assume 10 times since its 10 laps. Being in LA Ive never done the ride but it looks like a lot of fun. Not sure I could keep up though
Old 03-12-19, 07:20 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by trailangel
video at 17:10 is the corner of Seco and West Dr.
16:25 is the corner of Seco and Rosemont where the proposed changes are to take place.
My main gripe about this peloton is they cross the double yellow constantly....likes it's their own personal raceway.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe they should consider bollards/deliniators at both intersections? Rosemont/Seco and Seco/West? Better than someone coming out of the corner at a good speed and colliding with a vehicle.
Old 03-13-19, 08:59 AM
Elvo

Group usually does 8-10 laps depending on the sunset time. Keep in mind you need to average ~25 mph to keep up with the breakaway group.
Old 03-13-19, 09:27 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Elvo
Group usually does 8-10 laps depending on the sunset time. Keep in mind you need to average ~25 mph to keep up with the breakaway group.
That's going to kill the ride; even if you neutralize it eventually someone is going to get hurt. I hit one of those plastic pole barriers once on Raincross; when you're in the pack and people dodge something last second and dont call it out you're going to get hit.
Old 03-13-19, 12:01 PM
Elvo

That's going to kill the ride; even if you neutralize it eventually someone is going to get hurt. I hit one of those plastic pole barriers once on Raincross; when you're in the pack and people dodge something last second and dont call it out you're going to get hit.
Yep: Pasadena Now » City Officials Pleased With New Rose Bowl Loop Traffic Safety Test | Pasadena California, Hotels,CA Real Estate,Restaurants,City Guide... - Pasadena.com

That turn is typically taken at 30+ mph
Old 03-13-19, 02:48 PM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lol. Pleased. As one of the riders hits one of the cones during the video.
Old 03-13-19, 03:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Speaking as an almost exclusively solo rider, I don't have a problem with the city's solution at all. If people want to continue to group up and ride at crit racing speeds on open public roads, they're gonna have to find somewhere else to do it. I could still go around that corner full o' cones at 25mph no problem. Because I don't need a pack to follow.
Old 03-13-19, 04:04 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Speaking as an almost exclusively solo rider, I don't have a problem with the city's solution at all. If people want to continue to group up and ride at crit racing speeds on open public roads, they're gonna have to find somewhere else to do it. I could still go around that corner full o' cones at 25mph no problem. Because I don't need a pack to follow.
We're running out of places to do that; its hard to find places for hammerfests out here but in a busy area like Pasadena its close to impossible.
Old 03-14-19, 09:38 AM
trailangel

https://www.cicle.org/city-of-pasade...-at-rose-bowl/
My take on this...maybe I don't know all the facts...but from reading the meeting pdf in post #9 , appears the city would like the peloton to get a permit, insurance, and declare this as a formal event with hired cops. Then they would probably remove the stanchions at this corner, and have other cops doing traffic control all around the 3 mile loop.
As I say I don't know if they already have permit and insurance... some riders might know. I don't participate in this, but I do ride through there once or twice a week.
Peloton makes it unsafe for the casual rider. Casual riders need to drift over to the pedestrian area. Also have kids and dog walkers there. peloton always drifts into this area as well... including crossing double yellow.
You wanna race train, go to a crit track. Take it off the streets.
Old 03-14-19, 11:42 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
I simply do not understand the allure of going around in circles in a large group.
Old 03-15-19, 01:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^just speculating that you're not a huge nascar fan either...i'm not big on it either...perhaps the small area in question will become a neutral/regrouping zone and the laps will be run/timed/raced differently and with smaller groups.
i'm sure those that are adversely affected will adapt, move on or petition the powers that be to return things to as they were.
Old 03-15-19, 11:47 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by trailangel
https://www.cicle.org/city-of-pasade...-at-rose-bowl/
My take on this...maybe I don't know all the facts...but from reading the meeting pdf in post #9 , appears the city would like the peloton to get a permit, insurance, and declare this as a formal event with hired cops. Then they would probably remove the stanchions at this corner, and have other cops doing traffic control all around the 3 mile loop.
As I say I don't know if they already have permit and insurance... some riders might know. I don't participate in this, but I do ride through there once or twice a week.
Peloton makes it unsafe for the casual rider. Casual riders need to drift over to the pedestrian area. Also have kids and dog walkers there. peloton always drifts into this area as well... including crossing double yellow.
You wanna race train, go to a crit track. Take it off the streets.
Yeah, those don't exist. The only real 'crit track' is El Dorado in Long Beach, but even that isn't dedicated to bikes.

Even the areas that are capable of hosting such a thing are used for other purposes, or they're private and either won't allow the activity or are too expensive. I don't live near Pasadena so I'm trying to be unbiased, but as someone who does those rides on occasion there are very few areas with the ideal conditions.

Last edited by furiousferret; 03-15-19 at 11:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.