Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quality difference in hubs ? Claris vs. Sora vs. Tiagra

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 05:50 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

Looks like I'm probably gonna have to replace a jacked-up road wheelset pretty soon, and am on a serious budget. I weigh about 200, and my rides are generally just steady-paced 2-hr, 35 miles runs, no big training or club rides, no sprinting, just casual exercise, so my demands and expectations aren't very lofty.
The ( roughly $150 ) wheelsets I'm currently considering all come with DT spokes and one of these 3 Shimano hubs. I know they're all at the lower end of Shimano's line-up, so nothing special, but I'm wondering if there's any significant quality or maintenance differences in them, and any reason to consider where they rank in the hierarchy (as I understand, Claris is the lowest, then Sora, then Tiagra, which is just below 105, you get the idea.)
They're all standard cup-and cone, ball-bearing hubs, and I'm familiar with adjusting and maintaining them.
Any help is much appreciated.......
Old 07-31-19, 05:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I used Tiagra hubs in my wife's touring bike build. They've been solid for probably 8,000 miles now. Very nice quality. I can't speak to the others.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-31-19, 06:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,756 Posts
There must be other differences for the wheelsets to be similarly priced. Rims and spokes?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-31-19, 06:30 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There must be other differences for the wheelsets to be similarly priced. Rims and spokes?
Not necessarily, I think the hubs probably sell for pretty close to the same price, none of them are going to have any serious (percentage-based) jump in price like you see going from 105 to Ultegra, or Ultegra up to Dura Ace. There's a $10 or $20 difference in the prices of the wheelsets I'm looking at, which I'm guessing would cover any difference in hub price.
And, I believe they're all built with standard DT's, so no difference there, and on one of this company's house brand rims (that seem to get good reviews, going back a few years). One might be a low-end Mavic, I forget.

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-31-19 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 07:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,756 Posts
There's no downside to going higher in the food chain, so Tiagra would seem to be the pick of those three. I wonder if the Tiagra are now 11 speed compatible, might be useful in the future.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-31-19, 07:22 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There's no downside to going higher in the food chain, so Tiagra would seem to be the pick of those three. I wonder if the Tiagra are now 11 speed compatible, might be useful in the future.
No argument on all that, I was just wondering there was actually any known, tangible (i.e. significant) difference, or if it was essentially a case of " six of one, half a dozen of the other" at this lower level.
But to come clean here, my reasoning here is actually kinda superficial, because I can get the others in all-black, while the Tiagra wheelset is a hard-on-the-eyes shiny silver aero rim. The listed retail value of that set is considerably higher, but i've found that companies make up those prices routinely, so who knows.
And the 11-spd thing is a fair point, but i suspect it's highly unlikely I get into a new road bike in the foreseeable future. And most of these I'm looking at seem to be 8-9-10 spd compatible, with a significant upcharge for 11-spd, so I'm probably stuck with the 8-9-10 spd variants( which is fine, as my bike is a 10-spd).
Old 07-31-19, 12:24 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I'd guess you might be able to detect a difference in bearing smoothness. If I were in this buying situation I'd probably go with Tiagra; heck, if I were in the market for a new bike I'd likely look at what's available with a Tiagra group.

Awhile back I bought some wheels on eBay that were said to be new take-offs from a Specialized Allez with Mavic CXP 22 rims and generic Specialized branded hubs for $125. They've run perfectly fine for about 4 years now.
Likes For Eric S.:
Old 07-31-19, 12:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I bought a set of OEM wheels from a guy who was "upgrading." They were 32h Weinmann trekking rims on Tiagra hubs. Rode them for years as commuter/training wheels. Frickin bombproof.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-31-19, 01:34 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
This is a bit apples to bananas, but-
On the low end mountain hubs (experience with RM30 specifically)-
The cones aren't polished, but have an "oxide" coating. I've "eaten" a couple DS cones already, even with "generous" servicing.

For $20 more, go up the food chain! That's only $10/hub. I haven't priced them, but I'd be a bit surprised if you found the hubs for only $10 difference.

On a psychological note-
IF I was a wheel building "squirrel" in one of these online shops...
Would I show the same care on a wheel with a Claris hub as a Dura Ace??
Maybe they pay a bit more attention as the price goes up?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 07-31-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 02:58 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Thanks for the replies guys, but it looks like it's a moot point now, as I just scored a set of near-new wheels with Ultegra hubs, which negates the whole question !
I got them from a serious bike guy on ebay, with a stellar reputation as a seller, and they didn't cost a whole lot more than one of the Claris/Sora/Tiagra wheelsets I was unhappily considering from BWW.
I messaged back and forth with the guy, and everything seemed to check out well, and the 'watcher' count was steadily rising and I knew i was probably gonna get snaked soon, and they were about as ideal as i could ask for, so I stopped waffling and hand wringing, and just now popped on them.

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-31-19 at 03:02 PM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-31-19, 04:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
late now but $180 105 Mavic CXP Elite Shimano 105 5800 Hubs Silver Road Bike Wheelset [640117/640298] - $179.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-31-19, 05:40 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Thanks man, that looks pretty good, though shipping may jack it up considerably (I didn't see any free shipping mentioned in the ad, just that if you return something, they're gonna get their shipping back, LOL!!)
The wheelset I just got was a nearly new, all-black set of CXP22's, with butted DT's and brass nips (my preference) and Ultegra hubs, w/ QR's......for $175, delivered !!! If they check out like I expect they will, then I'd say it was a pretty solid score, that I was unlikely to beat anytime soon.
Likes For Brocephus: