Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Glacier National Park

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Glacier National Park

Old 07-31-19, 10:17 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Glacier National Park

I had some questions for @mountaindave, but then I thought others here might also have some experiences to share. I'm going to be visiting Glacier National Park in a few weeks and I'm hoping to get in some bike riding. It looks like Going-to-the-Sun Road is the primary attraction. So my questions:

Are there any other roads in or near the park that I should consider?
Do I really need to bring bear spray (as shown in the NPS video), and if so how accessible does it need to be?
What kind of temperature range should I expect assuming an early morning start? Does it get really cold at the high elevations?
Is there any way to schedule this to avoid the 11-4 bike restrictions and still get in all the best roads?
What tires would you recommend? 700x28 slicks OK?
Anything else I should know?
Anyone want to meet me for a ride?
Old 07-31-19, 10:34 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
I just completed a 1020km Calgary -Vancouver tour. I can answer some of your questions.
Please do bring bear spray. Bear sightings have increased these past couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to not see any, but with the weather getting warmer, it seems bears are more likely to go about. A man who was bikepacking was recently attacked in BC by grizzly and used a knife to defend himself. You want to be prepared and have it at your disposal with a moment's notice. I brought an air horn and bear spray for personal defense but did not have to use them. I felt safer carrying them with me.

Temp-wise, it great depends. My first few days up inti Lake Louise went from sunny and 25° to rainy and 12° and back to 20°. Morning would start out arounf 12-15° in the morning, go as high as 22-28° mid day, and drop back to 12-15 in the evening if you go higher up.

Bring clothing that you can put on and take off easily that will protect you from the elements. The sun can make it really hot, too, so bring strong SPF sunblock.

In terms of tires, I rode with Panaracer Tourguard 32mm x 700c (NOS). I imagine if I used 28mm, the ride might've felt a bit harsh but zippy. If you are using loaded gear, 32mm is what I would recommend. Keep them inflated well.

You are passing through the rockies, so the rocks you will find on the side of the road will be sharp/jagged at times.

Expect a lot of up hills and down hills (obviously) and wear high-vis clothing. People will be distracted by the views and that increases your chances of things going sour. Make sure you are seen from a long distance.

Bring a bit of chain lube. The change from dry to wet conditions dried my chain several times and that affected my ability to perform. Bring a nice chain lube on you just in case.

This is all from personal experience. It's one thing to just talk based on what you read versus experienced, so I hope my information helps you.

Most importantly, water up.

Lake Louise Scenic route from Banff
Old 07-31-19, 11:45 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Well, I go to Glacier every year and will be there again this year. Bear Spray for sure. I'm there mainly to do photography and bears are all over the place. That's one of the reason's I love it.

They'll be hot and heavy after the huckleberries soon, so quite active. I've seen them all over the Going To The Sun Road.

Temperature range varies a lot week to week and even day to day there. Be prepared for everything, hot, sunny, windy, cold, rain, even snow.

The road is usually in good shape and off the top of my head I think the repaving is all done. You may see some rock falls but should be able to just go around. I actually brought a road bike with me last year and just had my normal Conti GP 4000s II tires on it. 700 x 25 if it matters.

Look out for some gratings up top, by the tunnels and such if I remember correctly. And remember, a lot of the drivers around you will be qawking at the scenery and not looking out for you. I'd wear bright clothing and use flashing lights.

The park get's busier every year for sure. But the traffic on the road still dies down real early morning and late evening. Just watch for increased wildlife action.

I prefer the east side and the ride up the west side will be more crowded with less room on the road shoulders (where there are some) and seems like a steeper climb.

It's a beautiful place that is unfortunately being loved to death and is way over crowded now days. If you want solitude, ditch the bike and head a few miles in on pretty much any trial. Way fewer people them.

Old 07-31-19, 12:00 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
Temp-wise, it great depends. My first few days up into Lake Louise went from sunny and 25 77°F to rainy and 12 54 °F and back to 20 68 °F. Morning would start out around 12-15 54-59 °F in the morning, go as high as 22-28 72-82 °F mid day, and drop back to 12-15 54-59 °F in the evening if you go higher up.

In terms of tires, I rode with Panaracer Tourguard 32mm x 700c (NOS). I imagine if I used 28mm, the ride might've felt a bit harsh but zippy. If you are using loaded gear, 32mm is what I would recommend. Keep them inflated well.

You are passing through the rockies, so the rocks you will find on the side of the road will be sharp/jagged at times.
I fixed those goofy temperatures you quoted. At first, I was thinking, "Antarctica". Then, I realized oh, he means °C.

Yeah, verily on the tires thingie.

I would recommend you carry a folding spare tire with you if there is sharp/jagged gravel. High pressure, lightweight tires do not mix well with gravel. A blow out is possible which damages/destroys the tire's carcass and the inner tube. I would be ready for that type of repair as it could leave you stranded.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-31-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 12:33 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
~25 years ago riders in the Flathead Valley would do a ride dubbed The Highline Hammer, about 145 miles. A beautiful extension of riding the Sun road is to continue South on Hwy 89 from St. Mary, then Hwy 49 to East Glacier.
Old 07-31-19, 04:07 PM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
My goodness, do I envy those of you who are able (and young enough!) to ride up there. Those would be memories to cherish.

I revisited Banff several years ago, but the last time I visited (by car) GNP was circa 1965, before heading up into Canada, and Banff and Jasper. Still remember the Going To The Sun road, the Weeping Wall, the wildflowers...
Old 07-31-19, 04:46 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,778 Times in 1,405 Posts
Only rode it once, no bears. Then I rode Cino Heroica, do that route, most excellent. Stop at Lake McDonald Lodge, it's pretty neat inside. Temp change was maybe 10-15 degrees. I rode 27s, but it is a smooth road, 23s would be fine. Not a steep climb, pick a tempo, go. I don't think the elevation will affect you, at least it didn't affect me.

Cino 34 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Cino 36 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Cino 42 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Going To The Sun by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 07-31-19, 10:53 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 491 Posts
For temps, I would put West Glacier and East Glacier into you weather app. It’s about as close to the sun road as you can get.

I did the Sun road last week and, because of a late riding partner, didn’t leave Avalanche campground (16 miles from Logan pass) until just before 7:00 AM. It wasn’t bad going up, but very annoying going down - you can easily go faster than the cars and I hate riding the brakes on the number of a car. I suggest getting on the road from Avalanche no later than 6:00 AM. If starting in West Glacier, no later than 5:00 AM.

If you can get someone to shuttle you, east to west wouldn’t be bad either, just start early.

Bear spray? If I were flying and couldn’t bring it, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I were picking hucks or mushrooms in the woods, absolutely. Riding a well traveled road? Not so worried. I’ve run into bears a handful of times in the Sun Road and they were all black bears more interested in eating what they were eating than paying any attention to me.

I know people, like @Eric S, who did the Highline Hammer back in the day, but it doesn’t happen so much anymore I think because traffic has increased so much on Hwy 2 from East to West Glacier - and that’s pretty much the equivalent of a mountain stage in the TdF . It is possible to ride from west to east and take the train back - they take bikes in the luggage car on a hook! I did that a couple of years ago - we left West glacier at 5:00 AM (you’ll need lights). It’s still 80+ miles with almost 7000’ of vert.

As far as other roads, nothing jumps out at me as bucket-worthy as the Sun Road is. Good rides, but not “do this before you die.” The east side of the park is most dramatic. If you stayed in that side and ride into either Two Medicine or Many Glacier (possibly my favorite place in the park), you could do some short rides with amazing mountains as backdrops.

If you bring a comfortable gravel bike, riding up the Northfork is worth doing. It’s the western border of the bark and quite beautiful. A nice loop in the valley that gets you away from cars and into the side roads is Foothills Road.

I did the Blacktail Mtn hill climb today out of Lakeside along Flathead Lake- it’s a mile or so longer and 600’ more elevation. But the last third of it is gravel. You don’t get the glacier-carved peaks like GNP, but you get a very quiet ride up to a peak that overlooks the whole valley. Google blacktail hill climb in lakeside.

The Lower Valley is always nice - still mostly farmland.
Old 08-01-19, 01:06 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Going to the Sun; if you stay on the pavement, you 'might' see a bear, but you won't get close enough to spray him. Off on some gravel roads, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to come armed. I might make it out there myself this fall, with my unemployment looming soon
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 08-01-19, 06:40 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Only rode it once, no bears. Then I rode Cino Heroica, do that route, most excellent. Stop at Lake McDonald Lodge, it's pretty neat inside. Temp change was maybe 10-15 degrees. I rode 27s, but it is a smooth road, 23s would be fine. Not a steep climb, pick a tempo, go. I don't think the elevation will affect you, at least it didn't affect me.

Cino 34 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Cino 36 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Cino 42 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Going To The Sun by iabisdb, on Flickr
Are those rims wooden? What kind of bike, what size wheels?
Old 08-01-19, 08:24 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Going to the Sun; if you stay on the pavement, you 'might' see a bear, but you won't get close enough to spray him. Off on some gravel roads, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to come armed. I might make it out there myself this fall, with my unemployment looming soon
I see them multiple times roadside on my annual trips and had my closest bear encounter ever right on the shoulder of the road one morning while shooting pics.

I also had something take a dead deer right off the road under my nose about 10 years ago. I walked about 10 feet back to my car to change lenses as I was shooting a crow picking at the eye of the deer. When I turned around the carcass was gone, dragged into the brush. This was between Rising Sun and Two Dog Flats. So while I don't really worry about bears on the road, or anywhere else, they can and are everywhere there.

Like the morning I'm having a late breakfast at the Swiftcurrent eatery. I see a bear come out of the woods on the corner of the parking lot and lay down alongside the sidewalk. Next thing I know some older lady comes walking up and then jump out of her skin as the bear leapt up and ran. No one else in the restaurant even noticed.

Hence why I always advise carrying spray.
Old 08-01-19, 09:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I think the obvious solution is to ride with someone slower than you.
Old 08-01-19, 09:42 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Depends on if you're riding uphill or down. If the bear is on a downhill section, then you want someone faster in front of you.
Old 08-01-19, 10:50 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gugie
Yeah, but where am I going to find someone slower than me?
Old 08-01-19, 10:52 AM
Andy_K 

Thanks to everyone who has provided comments and suggestions. By a weird coincidence, GCN featured this ride on their Facebook feed last night. At first I thought it was just Facebook spying on me again and digging up old sponsored content, but all of the comments on the post were from yesterday so it must have been new.
Old 08-01-19, 11:34 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Sorry, Andy. Can’t make it for this trip.
Old 08-01-19, 12:12 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Sorry, Andy. Can’t make it for this trip.
Me neither @Andy_K its a beautiful place, I was there 27 years ago in an aging VW Van so I was going about as slow as I would cycling, enjoy
Old 08-01-19, 12:37 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Was up there a couple of years ago...didn't ride my bike though. We got there in late May and the Sun road was still blocked with snow above the lodge...we went around the other way through the back gate to get a look at the glacier. I picked up a bear spray at a Walmart for walking around safety factor. Didn't see any bears until we got down to Yellowstone...could have been a little early at Glacier.
Old 08-01-19, 04:11 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,778 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
Are those rims wooden? What kind of bike, what size wheels?
Yes. 1933 Frejus. 700c.
Old 08-04-19, 10:14 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Yes. 1933 Frejus. 700c.
Cool!
Old 08-05-19, 12:58 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I rode GTTSR in late June of 2018, about a week after the road re-opened. I only rode the west side from Apgar Campground to the Pass and back. I left about 5:45 in the morning and only saw one other rider on the way up going up - a few others were buzzing down from the top. There was almost no traffic going down after turning around (9:15am?), which made it fun and fast. I was going fast enough I could have overtaken some motorcycles.

It wasn't cold and I didn't need any special riding gear. It was warmer at the top as you're out of the valley and the sun was coming up.

I rented a Kona Rove NRB from a Glacier Cyclery in Whitefish and it came with 650bx47c tires, but the roads were very smooth and nothing that fat was necessary for pavement. The guys there would have lots of advice about where else to ride. When talking to them about my ride and dealing with the time restrictions they told me they frequently rode it in the afternoon/evening - the sun is up very late in the summer and the tourists are gone. I had thought about riding all the way to the east end and back but felt like I'd have to sit around waiting for the road to open again so just decided to haul-ass back down instead. I didn't see any bears.

The rangers at the pass weren't very pleasant - they wouldn't allow me to bring the bike up to even the first level where the toilets were, and because I didn't have a lock or anything I didn't even do the little tourist walking loop at the Pass.

Have fun!
Old 08-05-19, 07:28 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by sixer
The rangers at the pass weren't very pleasant - they wouldn't allow me to bring the bike up to even the first level where the toilets were, and because I didn't have a lock or anything I didn't even do the little tourist walking loop at the Pass.
There are toilets on the lower level, but not water. I just rode up the handicap ramp carefully to the water fountain, nobody stopped me. But it was 8:30 AM?

Always bring a packable wind breaker, it can be gorgeous down below and very cold and windy at the very top. It’s about a half hour of descending - one gets chilly speeding along at 30mph.

Last edited by mountaindave; 08-05-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 07:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
When exactly are you going to be there?
These legs are old n slow.
Old 08-05-19, 09:02 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Wildwood
When exactly are you going to be there?
These legs are old n slow.
I’ll be there August 19-23. PM me if you want to try to make a plan.
Old 08-05-19, 09:10 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

I think that this simple advice would work for most mountain situations: dress in layers, be prepared for incliment weather.

I always ride with some kind of bag that is large enough to hold what I need plus that which I shed - don’t fill your bag all the way.

And enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.