Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boulder bucking e-craze for now....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-19, 06:02 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/09/boulder-colorado-electric-scooters-bike-lane-rules-mobility/598036/

Mostly ageeable observations imho....
Old 09-16-19, 06:47 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I don't like scooters, not because of their motorized propulsion, but because they're very unstable and dangerous at speeds above a walking pace, due to their extremely small wheels and very short wheelbase. They're simply not very good vehicles.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 09-17-19, 10:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Very anecdotal, but every single time I've been around the scooters where it's an area they're frequently seen.........I've seen an "incident". Maybe not an injury or property damage, but some kind of "oops".

They frequently can't navigate curbs, drains, bumps like a bicycle can. So they wind up stumbling and running/falling off in those situations instead of first stopping and walking.

This is why I'm more for getting more bike and e-bike dock stations and infrastructure (FWIW, screw dockless, due to irresponsible users). A bicycle is a FAR superior transport to the scooter and "one wheel" trend when it comes to traversing obstacles, greater speed, better ability to take hills, safety, etc.......

Yes, me, I did say e-bike. I know that's weird for me to say, but there it is.
Old 09-18-19, 09:49 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I don't like scooters, not because of their motorized propulsion, but because they're very unstable and dangerous at speeds above a walking pace, due to their extremely small wheels and very short wheelbase. They're simply not very good vehicles.
That was my experience as well. Very twitchy at the speed you'd like to go. A scooter with bigger wheels - say 16 would be much better, but not as compact of course.
Old 09-18-19, 10:51 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
That was my experience as well. Very twitchy at the speed you'd like to go. A scooter with bigger wheels - say 16 would be much better, but not as compact of course.
If you've ever been to crowded European cities, you may think differently. Thousands of scooters, weaving in and out of heavy traffic in virtually any weather. As someone who owns a scooter (with small wheels), I understand your statement about them being twitchy, but that is also what makes them highly maneuverable in tight situations.
Old 09-18-19, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
Boulder is definitely not "bucking the e-craze." They may be proceeding slowly with commercial scooter sharing, but scooters and e-bikes are everywhere.
Old 09-19-19, 12:17 AM
cecu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I live in a city where e-scooters are only allowed on foot paths or dedicated bike paths.
I've been commuting to work on bike paths for the last 6 months and there are plenty of e-scooters on them each day (speed limit is 25 Km/h)

I am yet to see any incidents or even close calls, usually they go on their way and at 25 Km/h they travel at similar speeds to most commuter bikes, posing no issues.

I must say that these are scooters that are owned by the rider, not the share scooters.
Share scooters that are present in the inner-city foot paths are usually ridden by cow-boys without helmet.