Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Variety in Cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Variety in Cycling

Old 10-10-19, 09:04 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Variety in Cycling

-
William Cowper's poem, “The Task,” includes the line: “Variety is the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor.” I find the same true for cycling. I enjoy variety in my riding experiences, both in where I ride and what I ride. However, I find that many other cyclists are somewhat territorial, and only like their kind of cycling experience. They may be only a road cyclist, or only a mountain biker. Or they may like upright bikes, but not recumbents. Or vice versa.
-
My stable includes bikes in a number of categories, including: road; touring; hybrid; urban; mountain; fat; fixie; single speed, and; vintage. I also have recumbent bikes, both long and short wheel base, and recumbent trikes too. I have multi-rider bikes as well, including tandems, a triplet and a sociable. I even have a unicycle.
-
So I’m wondering, how many cyclist out there, like me, have to have variety to keep them interested and motivated? If you’re the opposite and are exclusive to one type of bike or one way of riding, is there a reason for that? Have you tried other cycling experiences and not liked them, or just stuck with what you are used to because that’s good for you?
-
(As long as you’re doing what you want, there are no right or wrong ways of cycling. So there are no right or wrong opinions. And there are no right or wrong posts on this thread. I'm just interested in what others think.)
-

-

Last edited by DC Bike Blogger; 10-10-19 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For DC Bike Blogger:
Old 10-10-19, 02:45 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I only ride recumbents now that I'm getting older. I have a 2 wheel tiller steering bent with a 20" front and 26" rear that I use most of the time. When the weather gets bad, or I need extra carrying capacity, I have a Carbon Strada velomobile.

I rode the velo in this morning in sub freezing temps, and while it was cold. I wore about what I would for ~40F temps and it was pretty comfortable.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-10-19, 02:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Most of my cycling friends own a variety of types of bikes. I myself have a road bike, cross bike, TT bike, beater/commuter, and FG. I'm also planning to get a hard-tail MTB to do the local race series in the spring.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-10-19, 03:21 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by DC Bike Blogger
-

So I’m wondering, how many cyclist out there, like me, have to have variety to keep them interested and motivated? If you’re the opposite and are exclusive to one type of bike or one way of riding, is there a reason for that? Have you tried other cycling experiences and not liked them, or just stuck with what you are used to because that’s good for you?

Anything I've chosen to participate in for health, hobby, or fun, is limited by money, time, or space.

When I was into canoeing, I only had the space and money for one canoe. When I was into motorcycling, I only had the money and space for up to two motorcycles at a time (off and on road).

Any year I've been into bicycling, I've only had the time and space for up to two bicycles at one time. I got as many as three bicycles at one time, but my wife didn't allow that for long. "What do you need three bicycles for? We need this space in the garage for . . . "

When I was a young adult before I had kids, I had all kinds of time. Now in middle age, I have little time for myself. Work, chores, helping family, etc. Yesterday at work was 13+ hours. Today, I took the day off, but it was to handle things due to my stepson totaling his car 1.5 weeks ago. Now I need to log out so I can do the yard work.

When I do get time to myself to ride one of my bikes, it is a sliver of time in my day and it raises my spirits immensely.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-10-19, 03:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Variety has many variations.
My variety in vintage was by country - limited to 1 from each major 'Euro' (what is GB these days?) cycling country. Italy got the pass for more. A few are still missing.

My variety in 'modern' bikes - those with brifters and 10spd - ran more to frame material, hence CF, Ti, new lugged steel.
edit: this thread needs pics:

The 70s above, the 80s below. Good variety in color!

Along the way variety has been in
frame sizes = 58 - 63cm,
cockpit = saddle/handlebar/stem/hoods/pedals

But variety in scenery and terrain is great. Almost always have a bike when away on trips.

Cycling is a big universe - room for many variations.
Even disc brakes and tubeless tires and carbon forks and ebikes and recumbents and......,

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-12-19 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-10-19, 03:43 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
In the land of the free (if you can afford it), and home of the brave (from 20,000 ft/behind a steering wheel), money and space are defining factors.... At the same time, Lao Tzu (some 2600 years ago) opined that one can know the world without leaving home (existing within and as the Tao).

So, I move through the world on one, C&V machine... affordable, sturdy, freely in the elements, flowing bravely through the traffic, minimizing harm to the existence that supports us all....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-10-19, 05:16 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 10-10-19, 07:18 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
For me N=2, road bike and CX for winter and foul weather.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-10-19, 07:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
In my collection;

Shopper folder
3-wheel Recumbent
3-speed English
27-speed MTB
e-tandem

Fairly diverse.

I could do with a drop-bar gravel bike, much as i dislike drops, just so i have a head-down bike.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 10-10-19, 08:53 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I would get bored with the same old bike, or forced to ride the same old routes. I have at least one road bike and a mtb around at any given time, but usually more since I like to wrench on bikes. These days I might go on a fast road ride, a multi surface grinder on everything from pavement to single track, or a local mtb trails the next day with black diamond sections.
Likes For jeffreythree:
Old 10-10-19, 09:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
MTB,
Track,
Fixed (Road),
TT,
2x Road

For 6 bikes in total. A new MTB would be nice but not on the radar anytime soon; if I did I would turn the old one into a fully rigid SS.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-11-19, 06:09 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
... When I was a young adult before I had kids, I had all kinds of time. Now in middle age, I have little time for myself. Work, chores, helping family, etc. Yesterday at work was 13+ hours. Today, I took the day off, but it was to handle things due to my stepson totaling his car 1.5 weeks ago. Now I need to log out so I can do the yard work. :speedy ... :
When you start to progress beyond "middle age" you begin to have all kinds of time again. This is especially true if you're fortunate enough to be able to retire. But I would trade every moment of riding time I have now for the kind of time I spent with my children when they were growing up. They are grown and in college now. So whatever stage of life you are in, and whatever you spend your time doing, just enjoy what you've got while you've got it.
Likes For DC Bike Blogger:
Old 10-11-19, 07:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Road bike for road riding.

Touring bike for loaded touring and commuting/around town transportation.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-11-19, 03:10 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Road bike (love it, my go to ride and daily commuter)
Belt drive (crappy weather commuter)
MB (ride it to the gym or if I go off road)
Tandem

Then my wife has 2. Our garage is pretty full.
Likes For joelcool:
Old 10-11-19, 03:45 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Never having been in the Navy I none-the-less adhere to KISS with emphasis on the SS.

Not a problem with same bike, same roads, same time riding.

e.g. -- 7 day cruise ends tomorrow AM. Monday night is Full Moon so out at midnight for another Midnight Madness 100 miler and will most likely follow on Wednesday night and probably Saturday. Have to enjoy the MOON LIT ROADS while it shines.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-11-19, 04:19 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
A road bike.
A gravel bike.
And a mountain bike.
A recumbent would be cool. But I have a hard enough time finding the time to ride what I already have.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 10-11-19, 04:39 PM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I like variety, but mostly to keep my preferred bike/ ride type from getting stale. 60% road bike: I don’t mind (even welcome) the monotony of my regular routes because I can focus on my efforts and results. 30% mountain bike with my wife, exploring the bush country (we live up north). The final 10% is a cross bike I used to use to wander but now am using to try to train myself to commute.
Likes For Jno:
Old 10-11-19, 05:51 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I ride the same route, to work and back, every weekday, and I do it on the same bike. However, I find infinite variety in the lengthening and shortening of the day and the changing of the seasons. There's rainstorms, snow, wind, heat, cold, and sun. In a bit over a month, I'll be coming home with a bright moon overhead.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 10-11-19, 07:10 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I have a variety of vintage road bikes and one mountain bike that I rode for the first time in a few years last weekend. I do appreciate the subtle differences in each bike and really enjoyed hitting the dirt last weekend. Joe. joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 10-11-19, 08:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Gravel bike
3 road bikes from different periods, all modern drivetrains though.
Modern MTB.
Touring/commuting bike.

I've reduced the fleet this year by 3 and still have overlap.
The 6 I have is plenty...for now.

If I get to the point of wanting a recumbent, it will be the same time I get the the point of taking up a different hobby.
More power to those who ride bents, but I have 0 interest.
Old 10-12-19, 02:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Variety ... in both cycles and routes ... is the spice of life.
Old 10-12-19, 03:40 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Road bike,
cross bike,
steel road bike,
touring bike,
hybrid,

why not?
Old 10-12-19, 09:39 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
thankyou for saying what ive also been saying for a long time....bf people are seriously uptight sticks in the mud ...I also have df bikes recumbents and a mountain bike.....they all add to the bike riders training program
Likes For robnol:
Old 10-12-19, 09:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
thankyou for saying what ive also been saying for a long time....bf people are seriously uptight sticks in the mud ...I also have df bikes recumbents and a mountain bike.....they all add to the bike riders training program
Another...
Old 10-12-19, 10:51 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I like it all, carbon, steel, friction shift, (down tube shifters, toe clips, not so much!), Di2, centerpull, side pull, disc brake, carbon wheels, skinny alloy, shiny, dull, it's all good for me. Ride what you love, love what you ride. I've never owned a mountain bike. Though I have ridden a few, they just don't work for me. I've done a little gravel, road raced back in the day, love big charity rides, Eroica, small club rides, solo rides, driving SAG support, but never done a multi day tour. My stable includes 5 vintage steel, 1 modernish aluminum, 2 carbon. Cycling is a great pastime, just get out and enjoy 🚴 the ride!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-13-19 at 08:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.