Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How to convince someone that you and your bike will be safe?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 01:36 AM
mjamesc07
Commutr/Trailblazer/Human

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really want to get a bike and start commuting to work and school everyday but I am having trouble convincing my Mom and my girlfriend that I will be safe. I know I can take care of myself but I am also worried about my bike security when I am at class. At work I can put it in the warehouse but school they just have the old fashion bike racks and that is it. My mom keeps saying that my tires and handle bars will be stolen. Let me know what you suggest doing in a situation like this.
Old 12-04-08, 01:41 AM
chrys9989
Feeling Lucky

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Ventura-Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just made a habit of coming home in one piece and eventually she stopped nagging.
Old 12-04-08, 01:56 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have yet to see a handlebar stolen. Make sure any quick release areas you have are secured.

And just getting your tires stolen is quite a hassle for a thief.
Old 12-04-08, 01:57 AM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires, or rather wheels getting stolen is likely. Especially if you have quick release and you do not lock them to something or at least run a cable through. It is doubtful your handle bars would be stolen. Have you ever tried to remove them, or even the stem? Not an easy thing to do, nor very valuable. Theives are looking for oppurtunity. They want to get in, steal your property and get out very quickly. Removing handle bars is more time consuming then a theif wants to deal with.
Old 12-04-08, 02:00 AM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I give any suggestions,

Your age and general location of the commutage please...
Old 12-04-08, 02:06 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
In regards to safety.. I always mouth off about the craziness I see on the other side of bike lane divider and how glad I am at having to not cope with nutty motorists..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-04-08, 02:53 AM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, they want you to not use your bike in case part of it gets nicked. That's like not washing up the dishes because they will just get dirty again. Explain to them their lack of logic.
Old 12-04-08, 04:36 AM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They'll steal your seat too. So run a cable lock through the frame/wheels/seat, and then at least one more bar-type lock through the frame.

Bike theft usually isn't all that premeditated. It's typically some amateur/drug addict looking to make a quick buck. A quick easy buck. Having multiple locks is not easy to deal with for them, and it will make a typical thief choose to steal the bike next to yours, the one with only one dainty cable lock through the front wheel, for instance.
Old 12-04-08, 08:05 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Get a couple CREE LED flashlights (Fenix L2D is popular, as is the Rominsen RC-N3), a couple PlantBike SuperFlashes, a safety vest like the road crews wear. That will keep you safe. For the bike, a couple good Kryptonite locks will do, as will good locking strategy.
Old 12-04-08, 08:30 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep good quality locks on the racks at school and work. Keys are much lighter than locks. Blinkie lights and helmet or glasses mounted mirror will keep you safe while riding. What bike do you have and what distances do you ride?
Old 12-04-08, 08:42 AM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How do you commute now? Car? What about car security when your in class. someone could easily reak the window, someone could steal it, etc. My college sub contracted to this crappy towing company who was known to reach inside rolled down windows and pull the parking sticker off windows and drop it in the floor so they could tow the car for not displaying the sticker.
The insurance deductable for a car theft or break in is probably higher than the cost of a bike if thats what they are worried about.
Old 12-04-08, 09:46 AM
mjamesc07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 19 I go to the College of Southern Nevada in Las Vegas. The commute is about 30 miles round trip-work,class,home. I work in a warehouse so I can just keep my bike in their with me. It is mainly just security at school. I will be riding either a Kona Jake or a Surly Cross Check not sure which one I am going to get yet.
Old 12-04-08, 10:36 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mjamesc07
I am 19 I go to the College of Southern Nevada in Las Vegas. The commute is about 30 miles round trip-work,class,home. I work in a warehouse so I can just keep my bike in their with me. It is mainly just security at school. I will be riding either a Kona Jake or a Surly Cross Check not sure which one I am going to get yet.
Either one is a nice bike... make sure you get a good U lock and secure the bike through the frame with that U lock... and to a secure object.

Dress in bright clothing and use lights after dark.
Old 12-04-08, 10:55 AM
mjamesc07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the saddle do they have bolts with keytools? Like you can get for rims on your car?
Old 12-04-08, 11:17 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What about the saddle do they have bolts with keytools? Like you can get for rims on your car?
Pitlocks.
Old 12-04-08, 02:29 PM
mjamesc07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Pitlocks are pretty cool. Thank you all for your help and advice.
Old 12-04-08, 02:31 PM
rbrian

Bikes: '07 Brompton S6L; '10 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
So, they want you to not use your bike in case part of it gets nicked. That's like not washing up the dishes because they will just get dirty again. Explain to them their lack of logic.
Well not exactly, the bike might not get nicked, but the dishes will get dirty. So, what's the point of washing them?

Perhaps a better analogy would be not using the wedding china in case it gets broken - just something to keep in a cupboard never to be seen again.
Old 12-04-08, 03:38 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Ask Mom and GF, bicycle or motorcycle?

Use flashing lights even for daytime riding.
Read and follow
https://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

Your biggest problem is bike security at school. Especially since you plan on getting a nice cycle. Pit locks and 2 types of frame locks at a minimum. Can you leave a heavy chain lock on the rack or at school? If so, I use a U-lock with cable through the wheels plus this chain lock:
https://www.rei.com/product/731893
Old 12-04-08, 03:42 PM
mjamesc07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ask them motorcycle and never brought it up again. I still want one but I really want to get to the point to where I can live comfortable without driving my car for anything but cross town trips in vegas, out of state, and time essential unplanned events.
Old 12-04-08, 03:58 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
If you're worried about the bike being stolen, I would suggest going with a less desireable bike than a Kona or Surly. Maybe even get a used bicycle. Yeah, some people steal bikes just for the scrap metal, but others only steal the better ones so they can pawn or sell them. One way to keep them from stealing your high-dollar target is to not have a high-dollar target to steal.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-04-08, 04:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I did ask them motorcycle and never brought it up again. I still want one but I really want to get to the point to where I can live comfortable without driving my car for anything but cross town trips in vegas, out of state, and time essential unplanned events.
I assumed so.

But you missed my point. You asked them about a motorcycle; they said NO. You then asked them about a bicycle; they said NO.

Now, if you had asked them "There is insufficient campus parking, I need to get to school and then work, so should I ride a motorcycle or a bicycle?" The question does not open up to a NO answer.

Last edited by CB HI; 12-04-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 04:40 PM
mjamesc07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I assumed so.

But you missed my point. You asked them about a motorcycle; they said NO. You then asked them about a bicycle; they said NO.

Now, if you had asked them "There is insufficient campus parking, I need to get to school and then work, so should I ride a motorcycle or a bicycle? The question does not open up to a NO answer.

I gotcha. I have decided to just get a bike and start using it to workout and stuff at first and when I get use to the bike and the ride I will start commuting. I think I will ride my commute on the weekend so I can find the best and safest route.
Old 12-04-08, 04:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I think I will ride my commute on the weekend so I can find the best and safest route.
A very smart thing to do. Also, go to the commuter forum with any commuting or bike equipment questions. You will get many good ideas there.
Old 12-04-08, 05:15 PM
surveyor
Where am I?

Bikes: Old Centurion Accordo (in the process of being SS'ed), Cannondale Quick 5 (racks/panniers/fenders, utility bike), Trek XO1 (fun/fast/main ride)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotcha. I have decided to just get a bike and start using it to workout and stuff at first and when I get use to the bike and the ride I will start commuting. I think I will ride my commute on the weekend so I can find the best and safest route.
I would also recommend that you drive your commute during the time you will actually be riding it. You may find that you want to change your route, or your schedule...
Old 12-04-08, 05:37 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
My wife and my mother have long since stopped expressing their fears of my commuting by bicycle. They figure that if I made this far in life without getting seriously hurt or killed, then I must be either lucky or have some sort of idea what I'm doing.
Now I just have to convince my employer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.