Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 02:36 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrible week of commuting for me. My kid got a stomach virus Sunday; I had to stay home Monday & Tuesday. I biked to work yesterday, but the weather was supposed to be REALLY crappy today (continuous rain and t-storms) so I drove. First time I've taken the car to work all year, I think.

Back on the bike tomorrow.
Old 12-11-08, 03:38 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rode in this morning.

The stomach thing bit me about a hour ago.

Train home tonight.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 12-11-08, 04:22 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I would love to get my Pugsley up there to play in the snow.
Posted this ^^ yesterday. Me and my BIG mouth.

5th snow in my 50 years in NOLA. My Pugsley finally rolled through the white stuff. ( I use it at the beach usually )

NOLA SNOW Video - 2 minutes

https://www.vimeo.com/2500778
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NOLA_snow.JPG (58.4 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by JoeyBike; 12-11-08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 04:51 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

5th snow in my 50 years in NOLA. My Pugsley finally rolled through the white stuff. ( I use it at the beach usually )

Video to follow.....
Somehow we missed the snow here in Biloxi. I can't stand cold damp weather, and I grew up in Michigan. I'm glad I still have my wool top coat and fur bomber hat. Stay warm, bro.
Old 12-11-08, 05:43 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After about 3 days of strong winds, the weather finally calmed down. This morning was the first ride since before Thanksgiving! I was feeling restless so I took the bike back out this morning. The ride to work was uneventful, just the way I like it. The temp was about 32 degrees and I wore a fleece hoodie and a windbreaker over that and jeans. I was sweating by the time I got to work! The ride home was calm and alot warmer. It felt good to ride again.
Ernest
Old 12-11-08, 06:02 PM
Nick C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WORST COMMUTE EVER!
Today started off on a bad note, and just got worse and worse with a series of unfortunate events. I woke up at 5:00 AM, an hour and a half earlier than usual. I headed out on my ride in, and it started off ok. The roads were dry after a few weeks of wet weather, and I really wasn't feeling to tired, just a little slower than usual. On the last leg of my commute, about 5 min. from school, I passed the 988 bus as it was picking up passengers. There was a stoplight up ahead, and I got through on the yellow, so it was a while before the bus caught back up to me. On a narrow two lane road, it swung out into oncoming traffic, and tried to pass me. Unfortunately, the driver failed to realize he was driving a slow, long bus, and had to swerve back into my lane before the end of the bus passed me, forcing me onto about 3 in. of shoulder, luckily not onto the mud after that point. This is the third time I have had trouble with this particular route/driver, he previously ran a red, turned wide and almost crushed me, as well as another instance of unsafe passing, that time buzzing me way to close.
On the way home, all is going well save for losing traction on the front wheel going up a steep hill (i saved it right before I fell), until I went to pass a slower cyclist. I moved out of the bike lane, was in the center of the car lane, and a motorist comes roaring by, buzzing both me and the car going the opposite direction.
Then, going down stone way, a long stretch with just enough of an incline for me to keep up with traffic, I am again in the center of the lane, when I see the cab of a small box truck way to close to me, I assume he was trying to pass me, and get into the non existent space between me and the car in front of me. After I looked back and yelled "What the f**k are you doing?" at him while he motioned for me to get over to the right, I accelerated and pulled all the way to the left, about one ft from the yellow line, where I spent the next five min, adrenaline pumping, franticly accelerating and slowing down to keep up with the garbage truck in front of me so the truck driver wouldn't try to get into any small gap I made.
To top it all off I got stuck for ten min. waiting for the Fremont Bridge.

I sorry about the extremely long and badly written post, I'm still shaking from anger/adrenaline, and I really needed to vent.

Last edited by Nick C; 12-11-08 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 07:31 PM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick C
WORST COMMUTE EVER!
Today started off on a bad note, and just got worse and worse with a series of unfortunate events. I woke up at 5:00 AM, an hour and a half earlier than usual. I headed out on my ride in, and it started off ok. The roads were dry after a few weeks of wet weather, and I really wasn't feeling to tired, just a little slower than usual. On the last leg of my commute, about 5 min. from school, I passed the 988 bus as it was picking up passengers. There was a stoplight up ahead, and I got through on the yellow, so it was a while before the bus caught back up to me. On a narrow two lane road, it swung out into oncoming traffic, and tried to pass me. Unfortunately, the driver failed to realize he was driving a slow, long bus, and had to swerve back into my lane before the end of the bus passed me, forcing me onto about 3 in. of shoulder, luckily not onto the mud after that point. This is the third time I have had trouble with this particular route/driver, he previously ran a red, turned wide and almost crushed me, as well as another instance of unsafe passing, that time buzzing me way to close.
On the way home, all is going well save for losing traction on the front wheel going up a steep hill (i saved it right before I fell), until I went to pass a slower cyclist. I moved out of the bike lane, was in the center of the car lane, and a motorist comes roaring by, buzzing both me and the car going the opposite direction.
Then, going down stone way, a long stretch with just enough of an incline for me to keep up with traffic, I am again in the center of the lane, when I see the cab of a small box truck way to close to me, I assume he was trying to pass me, and get into the non existent space between me and the car in front of me. After I looked back and yelled "What the f**k are you doing?" at him while he motioned for me to get over to the right, I accelerated and pulled all the way to the left, about one ft from the yellow line, where I spent the next five min, adrenaline pumping, franticly accelerating and slowing down to keep up with the garbage truck in front of me so the truck driver wouldn't try to get into any small gap I made.
To top it all off I got stuck for ten min. waiting for the Fremont Bridge.

I sorry about the extremely long and badly written post, I'm still shaking from anger/adrenaline, and I really needed to vent.
Sounds awful.....and scary....sorry.....Have you reported the bus driver......he needs some education (cyclists are so vulnerable to the rear wheels of 18 wheelers and also long trucks, buses........drivers and cyclists often don't realize this-I have seen/read about many fatalities related to rt turns by long trucks and cyclists getting caught under the rear right wheel)....... and perhaps some disciplining........

Be safe out there.........
Old 12-11-08, 08:17 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold, wet, and very very slick! It has been snowing for the past two hours, maybe an inch or two on the ground. I don't have knobby tires on my commuter yet, because it doesn't snow often, and I don't want to sacrifice speed on dry days. Anyway I came around a curve, going maybe 7mph and my front tire washed out, but I didn't go down, I counter steered and feathered the brakes, the bike straightened and I continued through the curve. It all happened very quickly and it was really just natural, I didn't have time to think about it. So that got me thinking that maybe I am a better rider than I give myself credit for sometimes.

Beautiful ride home otherwise. I am going to get some knobbies soon and ride in the snow often...I really like it.
Old 12-11-08, 08:31 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sucked. As if two flats on the way in weren't enough, (seperate punctures), some dirtbag at work stole two PB Superflashes off my bike, which was in the breakroom, as it has been for some three years of commutes without any problems. My boss is bringing it up in the morning meeting tomorrow, along with the fact that not only is this is a firing offense, it is dangerous if I ride home without a taillight. I happened to have another taillight at work so I made it home safe but angry. If only u lock justice were legal in such cases.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 12-11-08, 09:32 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first commute (due to illness) since a week ago. 40F and steady rain. My new showers pass jacket/hood and custom rain proof tights worked great. I wasn't 100% dry but was as comfortable as a 65F dry ride. I forgot my camelback with tools/pump but fortunately did not need them.
The most hassle was the fogging and rain coating my glasses.
Old 12-11-08, 09:57 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding the subway yesterday was enough to make me ride in the rain and sleet today. That's how sucky the subway ride was.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 12-11-08, 11:05 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
cold and wet- super rain on the way in this morning.

cold and wet- super rain on the way home tonight.

didn't see many other bike riders today- just a couple of joggers on the MUP.
Old 12-11-08, 11:10 PM
SDBluefish
Contrapuntal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous weather today - temps in the 50s and 60s. One of the most beautiful sunsets in weeks as I started for home - I kept it in my rearview as much as I could and stopped a couple of times just to turn around and gaze. And then a big ol full moon in front of me for the rest of the ride. MUP quiet and dark, all to myself. Ye Gods I love San Diego!
Old 12-12-08, 10:54 AM
floriderron

Bikes: Trek, Giant, Schwinn, Sun Recumbant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride, 60's and rain.
Old 12-12-08, 11:44 AM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nick C - your experience of yesterday mimics mine going home yesterday, except mine was all uphill. Serious crazies out there (full moon, yes?) frantically speeding to get no where.

I had to drive in today (my once every 6-months have to take an auto) b/c our work holiday party is today and I volunteered to bring my yummy punch which requires lots of containers. Too much for my bike panniers (I tried though!). Now there's the winter storm coming in and if it starts snowing I'm going to really, really want my bike to get through the impending traffic chaos tonight...gah!
Old 12-12-08, 12:02 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts

NOLA SNOW Video - 2 minutes

https://www.vimeo.com/2500778
Now that is funny. We're supposed to get snow above 700' around here today/tonight, but I live/work from ~0-300' so we'll see. Just sleet so far and now it's turned to rain.

I have been riding the pug the last 2 days though! Here's a cell phone pic at the bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pug.jpg (69.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-12-08, 12:13 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I have been riding the pug the last 2 days though! Here's a cell phone pic at the bank.
Sweet!

Do you get asked a zillion questions every time you ride that thing in public? I was thinking of starting a Puglsey support group. My favorite question: "Is that a mountain mountain bike? Although, yesterday in the snow and muck, people seemed to get it without further questions. I overheard "Snow tires!!" as I rode along.
Old 12-12-08, 12:25 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Oh yeah it's a big-time conversation starter. Lot of fun.
Old 12-12-08, 01:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The fog is back. Hound of the Baskervilles quality fog.
Old 12-12-08, 01:25 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What a nice commute I had this morning. The skies finally cleared after two days of rain, and there was an incredible "moon set" in the sky as I was heading out of my neighborhood. Not only was it a full moon, but incredibly bright with a line of dark clothes from the retreating storms just above it.

It was also nice because my legs were well rested after driving the past two days. We had heavy showers, thunderstorms and tornado watches the past two days, and I decided that I'd skip the biking until things got better.
Old 12-12-08, 02:03 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
22 f and I can't believe how comfortable it was. We're looking at sub zero temps by next Monday's commute. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to dress and actually looking forward to the challenge.

One more thing, got to try out my new $20 Trustfire on the helmet. Heck of a buy.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-12-08 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 04:11 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My commute today was pretty easy. 31f in the morning. A little bit of a 15mph headwind. But I managed OK. 30f this aftn with a few snow squalls thrown in. Had a nice westerly wind pushing me home. I like sitting at a light with the snow falling, and the cagers looking at me like I'm nuts. That is Winter Commuting
Old 12-12-08, 05:26 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great! Multi-use paths and quiet local streets in the dark.

My bands:
Old 12-12-08, 05:43 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The freezing headwind all the way up the Hudson River Greenway was so bad that when I finally turned inland, it actually helped push me up the hill on 181st.

My toes are icy.

My face is windburned.

My Vega headlight is approaching forced retirement age. Couldn't see snot where the morons who designed the bike path lined it up so the cars on the Henry Hudson Parkway shine their headlights directly into your eyeballs.

Good ride. I want a rain jacket that says, on the back, STILL BEATS THE SUBWAY.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 12-12-08, 05:48 PM
Fantasminha

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
Good ride. I want a rain jacket that says, on the back, STILL BEATS THE SUBWAY.
I want a jacket that says "this lane is taken. get your own!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.