Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

click stand (any one using?) vs 2 legged??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 12:18 PM
JOHN J

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good afternoon from the somwhat chilly northeast. I hope all is well.

is anyone really using the CLICK stand on a regular basis?? I have a Easge 2 legged stand that Ive been pretty happy using except for a few minor issues.

I searched the forums but not much info on Click stand (too new maybe)??

pros for 2 legged type

1)Convinient and very very quick to deploy great for instant stops like on MUP to dig out rain gear , or to close the garage door with out laying the bike on the driveway.

2) makes a handy "BUILT In" repair stand I like this use! but dont need often

cons

1) not so good on soft ground or uneven ground ,bike has fallen on a number of occasions (even on flat ground with heavy commute load)

2) heavy

3) mine has loosend up a few times when I didnt have a wrench to secure it "PIA"

4) its in the way of fd cable (had to drill /dremmel a hole in the stand for fd cable) and have to take fd cable off to remove stand .

the click stand seems secure but a few more seconds to deploy than the easge. could be cubersome for quick stops Like rain gear or garage door as mentioned above.

the click stand would most likely work for my single speed bike too as the height is the same as my commuter 2 birds one stand!

and uneven /soft ground Clickstand appears a better fit??

however the Click stand will not facilitate repairs as the Easge does.

your thoughts please.

many thanks

"John"

Last edited by JOHN J; 01-19-09 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 02:50 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Whats a Click Stand?
You mean this thing?

Stupidest idea ever, no wonder I've never heard of them.
"The Only Folding Portable Kickstand"
Last time I looked a normal kickstand folds up and down, and is just as portable as the bike you attach it to.

So you lean your bike on a cane, that you'd have to carry around in your pocket; versus having a kickstand mounted conveniently on the frame itself.
And since its not actually attached to your bike, I'd bet it's even less stable.

Get one of these:

They don't come loose with that solid mounting bracket.
They're not in the way of anything.
And they're more stable than a center mounted kickstand.

Last edited by xenologer; 01-19-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 02:55 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A Pletscher double legged kickstand is used on tandems, heavily loaded touring bikes, roadsters and cargo bikes. The stability a center stand offers more than makes up for the inconvenience. As for a clickstand - I haven't seen any one use one to support a bike.
Old 01-20-09, 05:34 PM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a click-stand type thingie from some tent pole segments I had - pretty easy. It works better than I thought - as long as it isn't on a slick surface (tarmac is fine, concrete isn't). Much more stable when there is some weight in the panniers.

I think a fixed stand is more convenient, but I don't use one: in the city I use a bike rack or a pole. I agree that a stand like xenologer's is more stable than a centre stand, especially if there is any weight on the bike.
Old 01-22-09, 10:14 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xenologer
Get one of these:

They don't come loose with that solid mounting bracket.
They're not in the way of anything.
And they're more stable than a center mounted kickstand.
I have one of these Greenfield kickstands and love it. Very handy when loading/unloading my panniers.
Old 01-22-09, 08:05 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
xenologer:

Don't knock it til you try it. Tom (the inventor) is one of the members here, and is a very experienced bike tourist. he's also a top notch guy all around. I spent time speaking withj him at the Seattle Bike Expo a couple years ago. He's not into marketing some useless gimick. Any one who likes to use a kick stand, but has had their bike fall over because of the loaded center of gravity being high up, will appreciate this imaginative device. It's light as a feather, folds away into your panniers or tucks under a bungy on top of your rack. It comes with a shock cord that brakes the bike instantly so it won't roll off the stand. I have tested this thing extensively and can find no instance where it wasn't stable - except for soggy spots that would frustrate any kick stand.

My use of the ClickStand has inspired at least four of my friends to purchase it for themselves. The "stupidest" thing I've ever seen is spending hundreds of dollars on quality panniers, then seeing them fall onto the wet, muddy ground. Or, leaning a pricey bicycle up against an object, then having it roll away and end up dinged and otherwise damaged.

The ClickStand is a great product.
Old 01-22-09, 08:28 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've No Reason to try it. My current kickstand works great already, therefore this product has no use to me.

The fact that it doesn't work unless you rubber band your brakes so the bike doesn't roll off it is already a sign of bad design. Or at the very least inconvenience.
Old 01-22-09, 11:06 PM
Slice2

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1, 1984 Cannondale, 1979 Motobecane Team Champion, 1994 Fat City Yo' Eddy Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody tried the Tranz-X adjustable? https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Kickstand.aspx Do these kind of stands support the bike OK with no load on the rear rack?

Those that use the Clickstand - do you put a rubber band on the front brake lever at the same time? Seems otherwise the bike would roll forward or backward.

edit: I see the brake bands now.

Last edited by Slice2; 01-22-09 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 05:51 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slice2
Anybody tried the Tranz-X adjustable? https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Kickstand.aspx Do these kind of stands support the bike OK with no load on the rear rack?

Those that use the Clickstand - do you put a rubber band on the front brake lever at the same time? Seems otherwise the bike would roll forward or backward.

edit: I see the brake bands now.
It comes with two short shock cords that you use to brake the bike. Once you install them, it takes less than a second to sqeeze a brake lever and slip one over it to clamp the brake. I only use one on the front. They stay on the handlebars, out of the way, and are hardly noticeable. They're about 1/8 inch in diameter.

Then, just whip out the ClickStand and place it under the top tube with the other end about 12" out from the bike - or, wherever you need it to be stable, depending on the ground. That's a major reason I own a couple - it works no matter how un-level the ground is, since you can move the end anywhere.

I always seem to be done parking my bike before most of the other riders around me have selected a "balancing" point so theirs won't roll away and fall. Normal kick stands are great, and I don't knock them at all. But, the higher center of balance on a loaded touring bike can make them a hassle.
Old 01-23-09, 07:05 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Whats a Click Stand?
You mean this thing?

"The Only Folding Portable Kickstand"
Last time I looked a normal kickstand folds up and down, and is just as portable as the bike you attach it to.

So you lean your bike on a cane, that you'd have to carry around in your pocket; versus having a kickstand mounted conveniently on the frame itself.
And since its not actually attached to your bike, I'd bet it's even less stable.
I know that the "stupid guy" that thought up this "stupid idea" has sold thousands of these. They work great, and they are easy to carry around - especially for a bicycle tourist. I'm hoping that someday I come up with a real "stupid or stupidest idea" so that I can be "stupid rich" and have someone like you call my idea the "stupidest." So, for those of that have actually used the product... there's really only one person that has commented that is "looking stupid."
Old 01-23-09, 09:56 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you've never heard of it, so it must be the stupidest idea ever? Wow, you're really showing how mature you are or maybe it's your lack of intelligence.

On a different note, my wife bought be one for Christmas and I've used it a few times. Works great.
Old 02-03-09, 02:24 PM
buddy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past Saturday on a local group ride one of the riders had one and I thought that it was a very useful and good idea. I am thinking about purchasing one for my road bike. I hate looking for walls or trees to lean my bike against.

And they laughed at Edison!

buddy
Old 02-03-09, 03:29 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I am thinking about getting one. Mainly because after contacting the inventor I am assured that one could be made to work with both my current bikes and likely with any future bike I purchase (providing it is a DF)
Old 02-03-09, 06:21 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
I am thinking about getting one. Mainly because after contacting the inventor I am assured that one could be made to work with both my current bikes and likely with any future bike I purchase (providing it is a DF)
Yep, he can do that. My wife contacted him and he made a special one for me that fits my two road bikes. One has a normal size top tube, but my other is a cyclocross bike that has a flat top tube which is much wider than standard. This one fits both bikes fine.
Old 02-03-09, 09:35 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I know that the "stupid guy" that thought up this "stupid idea" has sold thousands of these. They work great, and they are easy to carry around - especially for a bicycle tourist. I'm hoping that someday I come up with a real "stupid or stupidest idea" so that I can be "stupid rich" and have someone like you call my idea the "stupidest." So, for those of that have actually used the product... there's really only one person that has commented that is "looking stupid."
Originally Posted by knobster
So you've never heard of it, so it must be the stupidest idea ever? Wow, you're really showing how mature you are or maybe it's your lack of intelligence.

On a different note, my wife bought be one for Christmas and I've used it a few times. Works great.
JEEZ guys, its the Internet! lighten up. Arguing with a bunch of text on the screen, real mature.
At least I'm not getting my blood pressure up over it.