Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rapha vs. Ibex vs. Swobo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rapha vs. Ibex vs. Swobo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:04 AM
kronik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rapha vs. Ibex vs. Swobo

(or Smartwool, Icebreaker, etc.)

So, everyone can argue for the boons of merino wool. Fine. Rapha costs near twice as much as other woolen jerseys and such but is there a reason to go with one of their baselayers vs. an Icebreaker? What are the strengths of one brand over the others? I'm planning on purchasing a Rapha jersey + armwarmers because I, being the hipster ****** that I am, like the aesthetics of it and all of the reviews I've read are glowing. It's either that or a SS.13 for 30 bucks less, without the armwarmers. Subsequently, I'm going with Icebreaker baselayers because I can't see the benefit of going with what, to me, appears to be a relatively simple concept in a nice material. Swobo doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. This is not a thread to complain about (any of their) pricing models. It's a wool versus wool discussion. Please keep it civil.
Old 06-22-09, 08:05 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Is there a reason to go with one of their baselayers vs. an Icebreaker?"

No.
Old 06-22-09, 08:10 AM
varian72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're thinking too much.
Old 06-22-09, 08:25 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Purchase one of each and decide for yourself.
Besides that comment, I can not thing of anything that is not smart azzed to say.

Something about a fool + money + parting.
Old 06-22-09, 08:28 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Craft.
Old 06-22-09, 08:45 AM
ean10775

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned both Rapha and Swobo jerseys, but have not tried Smartwool or Ibex. One thing of note is that Rapha Sportwool jerseys are a blend of polyester and merino (depending on the style, the wool content can be pretty low), while Swobo (and to my knowledge, Smartwool and Ibex) are 100% merino. So if its really wool you're after I'd go with the Swobo, Smartwool or Ibex, however, if its the Rapha aestetic you want obviously go for Rapha.

Right now I believe Swobo jerseys can be had at Backcountry Outlet for around $50. I own the black one, which looks quite nice, has a soft hand and fits well, though the sleeves are a bit longer than a typical cycling jersey. While soft, I'm not crazy about wearing it in temperatures above 65-70 degrees or so - it seems to be a little itchy as the mercury rises.
Old 06-22-09, 09:07 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a long sleeve Ibex and the fit and cut were awful. I'm comparing it to Kucharik. Ibex is off my list.

I love wool jerseys but they have to be properly put together because of the way it stretches and forms to the body. It is different than any of the modern fabrics, so the manufacturer has to know what they are doing. I like Kucharik because they have had a lot of experience, and they are made in the US. I once had a problem with an underlayer shirt, and I got an email back from Mr. Kucharik himself. After wearing it for three years, it began to shrink. He offered me another one for a nominal shipping and handling charge. Nice.
Old 06-22-09, 12:00 PM
zagnut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Sugoi merino wool sleeveless baselayer from STP a couple weeks ago. I like it fine, but it will be awhile before I actually use it as the temps here are in the 90's now. It didn't seem itchy and was cut correctly.

Zagnut
Old 06-22-09, 12:15 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
>I like Kucharik because they have had a lot of experience<

+1

Reasonably priced, too. Which, of course, will turn off a lot of people here.
Old 06-22-09, 12:43 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Rapha base layers on every ride hot or cold and they work great. As it is 100% wool it can not be a Rapha thing but the cut is very nice.
Old 06-22-09, 01:08 PM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
Craft.
+1 FTW [/thread] etc
Old 06-22-09, 01:33 PM
0_o
ugg

Bikes: Steelman road & a plastic Pedal Force ZX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bunch of Ralpha Swagg so I'll thrown in my 2 cents.
I feel the classic Ralpha Jersey is one of their best pieces of clothing they have on sale...i bought mine back in 2006 which was / is well worth the price tag... the only down side to getting the newer classic jersey is the addition of the Ralpha armwarmers. Rapha's 2008 armwarmers were horrible compared to their 2006 pair.They were poorly made. The first time I washed them they shrunk and after a week of using them they had a few snags in the material.Hopefully they improved their 09's.
Anyway You should skip the Rapha Base Layer, unless you really wanna burn some cash, and just go with a simple Defeet or Giordana base layer.
Old 06-22-09, 07:17 PM
Waves77

Bikes: 2009 Caad9-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my personal taste Swobo > Sugoi > Ibex. All of them are quite good though - I just love wearing merino.