Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When animals attack ..

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When animals attack ..

Old 06-27-09, 04:24 PM
klages

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When animals attack ..

I've been chased by dogs and have had plenty of cats try to scare me by running across the street, but today on what was supposed to be a relaxing ride I was 'attacked' by a bird. Just going down a farm road and I feel something on my helmet (felt like I hit a tree branch), I look back and I see a bird right above me. He was a little guy not like a hawk or anything but at that range I freaked out and pedaled away.

I didn't think much of it until I felt it again. The bugger latched onto my helmet and started going crazy. I had to swat him off and he chased me for a good while. I was sprinting to get away from him and used a bunch of 'evasive maneuvers' He stayed right over me making all sorts of noises and would swoop down.

Eventually he peeled off back to a telephone wire. I spent the rest of ride looking over my shoulder and freaking out every time I heard a bird chirp.

I guess I got close to a nest that might have been on the side of the road or maybe I had some hair sticking out of helmet that looked like a worm (I dunno)

what a ride.
Old 06-27-09, 04:59 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Lately, I have been having to avoid a lot of iguanas and land crabs.
Old 06-27-09, 05:21 PM
daxr

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its got to have a nest very nearby - this whole spring a Tri-colored Blackbird has dive-bombed and hustled me past his tree every morning on my way into work. Its right on the mup, so that little guy must have gotten a whole lot of exercise this year.
Old 06-27-09, 05:26 PM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UF did a study on a type of bird (forgot which one) and apparently they are persistent and selective in their attacks meaning this bird might do it again if it sees you, assuming it is the same species of bird they studied.

One solution: mini scarecrow on helmet
Old 06-27-09, 05:40 PM
klages

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha, i might try that scarecrow idea!

the bird was black with a bit of orange/yellow on the breast. not too big but still scary as heck when its close. i'll probabaly just take a break from that road for while and try not to watch 'The Birds' any time soon.

Old 06-27-09, 05:45 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
With birds (the only animal that seemed to have attacked me yet) I just keep riding. After one dive bomb, it seems to become apparent that I'm not after it's nest and it flies away. I figure if I stop, I might still be in close proximity to the nest, giving the bird a reason to keep up its fight.
Old 06-27-09, 05:50 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flying squirrels can be a handful assuming it's a hunting pack.
Old 06-27-09, 07:05 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happens a fair amount here. Little blackbirds with red spots under each wing. Two weeks ago, I had one grab onto my helmet as well. He'd let go by the time I'd realized what had happened. They hover above me often though. It's a nesting issue or so I'm told.
Old 06-27-09, 07:10 PM
hendrick81

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Once in a while a blue jay will fly down and peck at me. I was camping at lake cachuma last month, i had a potatoe chip in my hand, about ready to eat it, all of a sudden a blue jay swooped down and jacked the chip out of my hand. They are mean little f^$K$s
Old 06-27-09, 07:18 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I had a buddy who was a motorcycle cop. He was stopped when he felt something on his helmet. He looked up and was being attacked by an owl!
Old 06-27-09, 07:38 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red winged blackbird.

They will attack from behind, swooping down on you. Occasionally they will land on your helmet and peck at it.

Keep riding, ignore them, they are protecting their nests and will cease the attack once you are out of their territory. They can have territories that appear large, because they can have multiple nests.

I have been attacked by them lots of times since we moved back to WI in the '80's. The first time I panicked, over reacted, and crashed. Since then I just ignore them and when they do land on my helmet, I enjoy the stares and fingerpointing of the passengers in cars.

FWIW, they really bug the farmers, because unlike cyclists, they can't just ride away and they don't have helmets.
Old 06-27-09, 07:51 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
At least you're not in Australia. They have Magpies that are apparently a pretty big deal and attack cyclists quite often.

The government gives out "eyes" that you glue to the back of your helmet, since the birds don't seem to attack when they're being watched.

Pretty serious stuff, but still funny.
Old 06-27-09, 08:15 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the most problems with dogs than cats or birds. Having done alot of early season riding in Oz, the Magpies are bad, but its only during certain times of the year when they are protecting their young so you ride into their area and they swoop down to scare you. They don't follow you like aggressive dogs trying to bite you.
Old 06-27-09, 08:15 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by z415
UF did a study on a type of bird (forgot which one) and apparently they are persistent and selective in their attacks meaning this bird might do it again if it sees you, assuming it is the same species of bird they studied.

One solution: mini scarecrow on helmet
Mockingbird, I read that study. They are vicious little b@st@rds!
Old 06-27-09, 08:26 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The multitude of crows in my soon-to-be ex neighbourhood have many fledglings stashed here and there and go bezerk at people walking too close. I got dive bombed walking around there a few times which made me .

I'm a bird nut.
Old 06-27-09, 08:28 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I was "mugged" by a seagull once while in Sausalito. I bought a delicious cone of white macadamia nut ice cream from an ice cream shop on the waterfront and was enjoying it until I felt something hit the back of my head then my arm. I thought it was a frisbee but then realized that a seagull had knocked the ice cream out of my hand and was now protecting it on the floor. There were a few seconds where I wanted to kick the bird into the bay but I couldn't help chuckle at how absurd and event this was and just kept chuckling.
Old 06-27-09, 08:57 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sister got attacked by a vulture one time. A big giant vulture. Actually it was more a near-collission. I think the bird got spooked as we came around a downhill curve at speed while he was eating a dead possum or skunk or racoon or squirrel or rabbit or deer or something. It almost took her out - I mean it was big. I almost fell over laughing
Old 06-27-09, 08:59 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I was "mugged" by a seagull once while in Sausalito. I bought a delicious cone of white macadamia nut ice cream from an ice cream shop on the waterfront and was enjoying it until I felt something hit the back of my head then my arm. I thought it was a frisbee but then realized that a seagull had knocked the ice cream out of my hand and was now protecting it on the floor. There were a few seconds where I wanted to kick the bird into the bay but I couldn't help chuckle at how absurd and event this was and just kept chuckling.

I think I would have a few choice words for that bird.
Old 06-27-09, 09:09 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5387 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 229 Posts
Blackbirds are good eating. They taste just like dove.
Old 06-28-09, 01:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by klages
but today on what was supposed to be a relaxing ride I was 'attacked' by a bird. Just going down a farm road and I feel something on my helmet (felt like I hit a tree branch), I look back and I see a bird right above me.

In Canada, it's the red-wing blackbirds. Here in Australia, it's the magpies. One of the tricks some Australians use is to attach a couple zipties to their helmets, sticking up like antennas. I've never tried it, but apparently it works.
Old 06-28-09, 01:48 AM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
At least you're not in Australia. They have Magpies that are apparently a pretty big deal and attack cyclists quite often.

The government gives out "eyes" that you glue to the back of your helmet, since the birds don't seem to attack when they're being watched.

Pretty serious stuff, but still funny.
A Magpie dive-bombed my when I was about 10, needed 8 stitched to the head. Blood everywhere.
Old 06-28-09, 02:13 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearonabike
Mockingbird, I read that study. They are vicious little b@st@rds!
My two kitties had a major battle with a group of mockingbirds. They were both up a walnut-tree in the backyard and there were about 5 mockingbirds above them. These little bastids took turns dive-bombing the cats who were gingerly trying to climb higher to get to the birds. After a while the cats got bored and jumped off. The birds CHASED them across the lawn all the way to the house. One of them even landed on my couch and was squawking away!
Old 06-28-09, 02:16 AM
MotoBecuzIcan

Bikes: Motobecane Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny that you make this thread, because when I got back from a ride this morning, some bird was attacking my cat!! it didn't even mind the bird at all but the bird kept swooping down and chirping... I'm surprised kitty didn't eat it, she has massive lion paws of death.
Old 06-28-09, 03:32 AM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor bird was just drafting you man...
Old 07-02-09, 08:27 PM
MattWithTwoTs
I like to fall.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to switch from cycling, but I was playing golf about a year or so ago and my buddies went onto the green to putt, as they stood up there one of them noticed a black bird on top of the golf cart. Moments later that bird was eating his chips. When they got back to the cart, they noticed that it also ate a whole hotdog, minus the bread.

After our round was over, one of the course employees said a bird once took a guys car keys. From then on, anything I didn't want taken away went into my golf bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.