Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Technical question about the the Bike Forums

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 12-15-18, 04:29 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts

I have a small issue with the forums that only happens here in the bike forums, and doesn't happen on other discussion forums I subscribe to. I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...perhaps point out a user setting to change. Here's the problem: I use an iPad with a keyboard that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. When I'm on the bike forums, the up/down/left/right arrows on the keyboard for moving the cursor will move the cursor as it should, but it also pages down to the end of the forum or discussion thread. Does anyone know if there's a user setting that I need to change to prevent it from paging down?

Dan
Old 12-15-18, 04:54 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I cannot help you with that, but it reminded of a question I have. Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
Old 12-15-18, 04:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
First of all, make sure you are using the mobile version (look at the bottom line of the page and click on the window (Quick Style Chooser) and switch from BikeforumsNG to Bikeforums Mobile.

If you have other questions about how the site works you can reference them or post them to Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Old 12-15-18, 05:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I cannot help you with that, but it reminded of a question I have. Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
Remember to check the Remember Me box when you log on and make sure that your browser accepts COOKIES because that is needed to keep you signed in.

If you can exclude certain sites from cookie blocking it is advisable.
Old 12-15-18, 05:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Why do I have to log in so many times to post or see pictures from other posts. If I am looking at forums, and it has been more than a few minutes, to post a reply I have to log in again. Is that just the way it is or can a setting be changed?
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that restriction might be in place to help prevent trolling. I didn't realize that it doesn't let you look at pictures. I thought it was just for posting, including URL links in posts. My guess is that if a troll has to log in multiple times before they can make their trolling post that they are less likely to do it.

P.S. Thanks for the tip 'Rollfast'...that works.

Dan
Old 12-15-18, 05:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
moved here from General Cycling

click on "remember me" and it should keep you logged in. It is really annoying without doing that
Old 12-15-18, 05:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by _ForceD_

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that restriction might be in place to help prevent trolling. I didn't realize that it doesn't let you look at pictures. I thought it was just for posting, including URL links in posts. My guess is that if a troll has to log in multiple times before they can make their trolling post that they are less likely to do it.

P.S. Thanks for the tip 'Rollfast'...that works.

Dan
BF restricts using links, videos and hosted files as well as PMs (personal messaging) until certain post counts are met while not presenting bad behavior and such, that is one way spamming, not so much trolling is controlled. If you have a problem with the posting behavior of a member (rude, fighting etc) it's best to click the red button with an exclamation point on that post and explain what your problem is in the box. You can also use it to ask if the post should be moved to a different forum or the poster should be split off into their own thread to keep a thread on topic and help the other person.

By doing so a staff member will often be alerted faster than if you sent them a PM and they can ask on it quicker. If you have a general question (without a specific member in mind) then starting a new topic or adding to an existing one may be a better idea. If you have a newer question about an old topic then starting a new thread may be a good idea...staff can and often do merge similar threads into one.

But these posting restrictions are in place to forestall, limit or discourage bad behaviors and spam.
Old 12-15-18, 07:29 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Thanks everyone for the clarifications on navigating BF and posting and logging in. I do not remember ever even seeing the suggestions and user assistance on BF. I guess I should do more searching of the various aspects of Bike Forums and get a better understanding of what, how and where to post threads, replies etc.
Old 12-17-18, 12:22 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I have a small issue with the forums that only happens here in the bike forums, and doesn't happen on other discussion forums I subscribe to. I'm hoping someone can offer some insight...perhaps point out a user setting to change. Here's the problem: I use an iPad with a keyboard that connects to the iPad via Bluetooth. When I'm on the bike forums, the up/down/left/right arrows on the keyboard for moving the cursor will move the cursor as it should, but it also pages down to the end of the forum or discussion thread. Does anyone know if there's a user setting that I need to change to prevent it from paging down?

Dan
As far as I know there isn't a setting. It might be that the hardware youre using isn't fully recognized by bikeforums.
Old 12-17-18, 02:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by IBThomas
As far as I know there isn't a setting. It might be that the hardware youre using isn't fully recognized by bikeforums.
It's all good now. I was using the BikeforumsNG setting...although I'm on an iPad. I just like the look of the pages better. But I went ahead with rollfast's advice above and changed to the mobile setting and it works fine.

Dan