Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's your 'Murphy's Law" Bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-16-19, 01:27 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Let me tell you about this bike. It's a great bike. In fact, it's so great, that it rides better than my 1982 Miyata 1000. It's a also lighter, more nimble/ responsive, and surprisingly, it's a touring bike. I believe it's a late 1980s Nishiki International Touring Series. So why am I writing about this bike?

The components are the one and only Suntour XCE (more issues ahead). I had issues with the Sakae Oval (biopace rival) crankset, so I switched it out for a more compact crankset such as the Deore LX shown. The 700c wheelset are just fine, but I had to switch the freewheel since the XCE one that it came with before was seized to death from being in a shed for nearly 25 years. It originally came with a 700c wheelset, of which I will be putting on my Miyata 1000. I've since switched it for a good quality 27 inch wheelset I had laying around. I had no problem switching the wheelset since I used an extra Deore LX cantilever set laying around to adjust for the size difference. It had Dia Compe brakes originally. I also switched out the front derailleur for a Deore FD laying around, but it didn't reach the largest ring. I could only use the two smaller ones.

Anywho, it gets worse, at least for me. When I decided I didn't like the crankset, I decided to switch it for a biopace set I had laying around. Then I found out my crank removal tool had worn. I got a new one, only to discover the crank itself had its threads worn out, so now I'm not sure of I can remove them. Then a chain issue came up. I had a darn time putting on the Shimano quick link, which I'm sure was made by Satan himself. I tried to see if shifting worked with this bike. The Suntour XCE components were unique in their spacing and shifting abilities, or so I'm told. So none of it was compatible with absolutely anything I've put on, which leaves me with one of two options:
A) discard the bike into a volcano
B) swap out the components for something compatible

But you see, this bike really took it out of me. Because of this bike, I might actually take a break from fixing bikes for a while. But then again, I love how it rides. If I'm telling you it rides better than a 1000, take my word for it. But it will either make you or break you. In this case, I'm not sure which one, yet. I think I will just give myself some time to recover how ridiculous this whole thing feels. If Murphy's law applies to bikes, this is it for me.

What's your Murphy's Law experience?

Last edited by BikeWonder; 05-16-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 01:46 PM
SurferRosa

Bikes: old school 531c & campy

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 118 Posts

Trim those cables about 7" and route the front ahead of the rear. It will look much improved.

I had a bike that had a bunch of things stuck: seatpost, seatpost bolt, stem, crank dust cap, hub cone... The owner left it unused for decades. After a couple weeks of work, it all came together. It happens. When you overcome difficulties, the feeling is pretty good.
Old 05-16-19, 01:46 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 302 Posts
When I decided I didn't like the crankset, I decided to switch it for a biopace set I had laying around.
Said no one, ever. Shouldn't this be a "Foo" thread?

Seriously though, beautiful bike, OP. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that everything on the bike is broken, and none of the spare parts you tried fit?
Old 05-16-19, 01:52 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Said no one, ever. Shouldn't this be a "Foo" thread?

Seriously though, beautiful bike, OP. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that everything on the bike is broken, and none of the spare parts you tried fit?
It's a mixed bag, hence Murphy's law. It just felt discouraging to overcome one challenge and then another. Everything came out fine, but I have to look for a shifting system to replace the current one, as well as the crankset issue of which I need LBS help ($$$$$).

But the only thing that drives me to continue is how well it rode.
Old 05-16-19, 01:53 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 59 Posts
Probably my “rust bucket” Miami Vice Ironman with stuck seatpost and pedals. Had to saw the post in half. Pedals are still attached to the crankarms, in a box, somewhere.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
Old 05-16-19, 02:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Ha! A few years back, I was inspired to enter the C&V contest for building a bike on the cheap. I had just gotten one of the really nice Bikesmith cotter pin presses, and I found a 1970 Raleigh Record on CL for $20.00. I was stoked and making good progress until I went to remove the drive-side cotter pin. (I liked the crankest and chainring and wanted to nab them for another project). Well, the cotter pin bent on me. OK - I'll just press it back the other way... um, nope. (I tried several variations of this)

ok - I'll remove the cup... um not gonna happen with that axle stuck in there.

I'll stabilize the bike and drill out the cotter pin... but first I need to take the chainring off... The chainring bolts are such low profile that I can't even get a socket wrench to stay on them.

Maybe if I can get a vise on the crank arm, I'll be able to work something out... but seeing as how I rent and don't have space for a bench to mount a vise on, that will have to wait...

I still have the bloody frame sitting in the garage - laughing at me every day I go out there.

Good news is I'm moving soon... to a house... where there's room for a sturdy bench if the seller doesn't leave the one that's already there... where I can mount a proper vise. I'm looking forward to what Murphy has been holding in reserve.
Old 05-16-19, 02:17 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 302 Posts
I've discarded almost all the original parts from bikes I intend to ride. Shifting and braking have really improved a lot over the years, and gearing ratios finally somewhat reasonable. Original parts are usually better for looking at, IMO, than for daily riding.
Old 05-16-19, 02:24 PM
dweenk 

Bikes: 1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
And you think you have it tough...

Old 05-16-19, 08:20 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
A Murphy's Bike Law (riding)... "if you think you're feeling especially strong today, it's only because you're riding with the wind, and don't realize it yet".

A Murphy's Bike Law (riding)... "out of everyone in your group, you'll be the one to flat".

A Murphy's Bike Law (buying)... "someone will always have a better Craig's List find story than yours".

A Murphy's Bike Law (wrenching)... "the allen wrench you need will be the last one you pick up".

Last edited by uncle uncle; 05-16-19 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:55 PM
Eric S. 

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have some wheels with Shimano Ultegra 6500 hubs and am ready to give up on the rear. I bought the set in 2006 and in 2009 the rear started making sounds related to speed while coasting. I cleaned and repacked the bearings, no help. I replaced the freehub. Still there. Now the hub just plain runs rough though I can't see any visual damage to the cups or cones. Even with the cones a little loose it's not as it should be.