Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Fixed Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First Fixed Commute

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 04:19 PM
PartyPack

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Custom Reynolds Road Bike, Vivente World Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Fixed Commute

My lovely wife having noticed my interest in single speed bikes bought me a Surly Steamroller (https://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller_comp.html, 2008 model) as a 40th birthday present (great wife I know, she even got the size right). I love the clean, old school look of the bike and the lack of freewheel on the stock bike forced me to try fixed, something I may have put off trying. I’m a pretty strong cyclist, 62kgs, and I ride 6 days a week around 250km in total mostly at a high intensity so even though my commute is hilly I was pretty sure climbing wouldn’t be a problem, descending on the other hand filled me with dread. My first feeble attempts to ride the Steamroller in my street where extremely disconcerting; even getting my feet in the pedals was a new skill I had to acquire, and yes the bike reminded me quite a few times to not stop peddling, quite roughly I have to say.

So after a few safe ‘getting to know you rides’ I’ve finally ventured out into the real world and done the 30km round trip to work. Wow. Once you get the hang of pedalling all the time I have to say it is the most exciting form of riding I have ever done. Knowing you have to attack climbs is awesome but not too different to how I normally ride, but descending is a whole new challenge. I had no idea my legs could spin so fast

I can see the Steamroller fast becoming my favourite bike and I get the added benefit of my normal 30km commute feeling like 60km worth of effort
Old 01-28-09, 04:37 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I've never ridden fixed, but it certainly sounds like a whole different animal.
Out of curiosity, do you normally ride clipless pedals? If so, are you using clipless on the fixed gear too?
Old 01-28-09, 04:45 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Out of curiosity, do you normally ride clipless pedals? If so, are you using clipless on the fixed gear too?
It sure is different and probably not for everyone, but I'm loving it so far.

I ride single sided SPD's on my race bike and double sided on my touring bike which is my normal commuter. Currently I'm running caged pedals with straps on the Steamroller just while I get used to it and until I decide exactly what sort of pedals I want. I intend on riding the Surly to the shops etc in normal shoes so I may try pedals with platforms one side and SPD's on the other.

One thing my first few rides has really hammered home is the need for foot retention when riding fast. I would hate to have a foot come loose whilst descending.

Last edited by PartyPack; 01-28-09 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 05:04 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
I just started seriously riding singlespeed and fixed for distance, and I've set up my ss/fg bike as close to my geared distance bike as I can.

B-17 saddles, Moto-Ace Bell Lap bars and SPD pedals on both bikes. Keeping the contact points to the bike the same makes the transition from one bike to the other fairly seamless.
Old 01-28-09, 05:23 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PartyPack
Wow. Once you get the hang of pedalling all the time I have to say it is the most exciting form of riding I have ever done. )
You either hate it or love it, glad you enjoyed it. Once you start riding fixed you realize gears or coasting are really overrated. Fixed makes you a stronger rider, and it's a much better workout overall. Ask your wife for skinny jeans and risers and you're set
Old 01-28-09, 05:24 PM
NEXUS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty sure you are not the same but one of these fixed gear guys almost ran me over. He was coming down a hill full speed and he had no brakes on his bike and his handle bar was about 10" wide! I also see these guys doing dangerous stuff like track stands and riding backwards in circles while waiting for the left turn light at the intersection and half the time when the light turns green they aren't ready to go since they weren't paying attention.

I advise that you put a chainguard on that bike ASAP. Don't want to imagine what would happen if you got your pant caught in the chain of a fixie!
Old 01-28-09, 05:31 PM
aMull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roll them up, no need for a chain guard.
Old 01-28-09, 05:34 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aMull
Ask your wife for skinny jeans and risers and you're set
lol did I mention I was 40. I'm about as far from 'hip' (what ever that really is) as you could ever get
Old 01-28-09, 05:39 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NEXUS
I am pretty sure you are not the same but one of these fixed gear guys almost ran me over. He was coming down a hill full speed and he had no brakes on his bike and his handle bar was about 10" wide! I also see these guys doing dangerous stuff like track stands and riding backwards in circles while waiting for the left turn light at the intersection and half the time when the light turns green they aren't ready to go since they weren't paying attention.
No tricks for me, that side of riding doesn't really appeal. The bike came with front and rear brakes, and they will be staying on. I go out of my way not to upset other road users; I find riding is easier that way

I advise that you put a chainguard on that bike ASAP. Don't want to imagine what would happen if you got your pant caught in the chain of a fixie!
I don't generally ride in long pants unless I'm going real slow but I take your point. Another important safety tip thanks.
Old 01-28-09, 05:53 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a FG bike mainly for winter commuting, and I've been riding it every day since late November. There are some things I like about it... Like I find it easier to control at very low speeds. But overall, I'm looking forward to going back to my geared bike when all the s**t on the road washes away.

I hate topping out at around 27 mph (43.5 kph) on the downhills. And that's with me turning the cranks just as fast as I possibly can.

FG is okay. I don't mind it. I think I've gotten totally accustomed to it by now, and my verdict is that I prefer to have a derailer.

But maybe I should make up my mind when I get back on the geared bikes again in the spring. (I did FG in winter for ease of maintenance, and for something interesting and different during a season where I know I'll be riding much less.)
Old 01-28-09, 06:43 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Trackstanding isn't dangerous, but backwards circles at a traffic light... heck yeah that's dumb. As for a chaincase; if you roll up your pant leg or don't ride with loose trousers then you're in the clear. I'm a "superhero" commuter , so I don't have any problems with lycra getting in my chainline.

I understand the concept behind chopping your bars down short; it was common practice to ride really narrow bars back in the early 90s when I was in the biz. I should ride 46cm or 48cm, but I'd throw a pair of 40cm or even 38cm on so I could squeeze through traffic. The coffee-shop cruisers with risers barely wide enough to fit a pair of Ourys on just make me laugh, though.
Old 01-28-09, 07:41 PM
NEXUS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but who want's to roll up their pants in the winter?
Old 01-28-09, 07:50 PM
drjava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also tuck in your shoe laces and when you are lubing your chain, keep your fingers safe. I've seen some pretty nasty pictures of fingers that have been caught between chain ring and chain.
Old 01-28-09, 07:57 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I'm glad you 'got it' right away.
Old 01-28-09, 07:57 PM
PartyPack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drjava
Also tuck in your shoe laces and when you are lubing your chain, keep your fingers safe. I've seen some pretty nasty pictures of fingers that have been caught between chain ring and chain.
Shall do; it kinda reminds me of a inside out chainsaw. Very nasty.
Old 01-28-09, 08:08 PM
aMull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but who want's to roll up their pants in the winter?
I do. I wear indoor soccer shoes with just a normal sock and roll up my jeans and i am still fine for an hour at -20C. Rolling up exposes some of your leg, but you will never get cold there so it's no problem. What freezes are toes and fingers.
Old 01-28-09, 08:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
My first feeble attempts to ride the Steamroller in my street where extremely disconcerting; even getting my feet in the pedals was a new skill I had to acquire...
I remember my first FG ride very well. No crashes, but I had to pay a lot of attention to the bike for sure.

Glad it is working out so far. Like someone else here said, you either like it or you don't. FG is a novelty to me. Friends of mine who "live" fixed would burn my house if said that to them. I would like to play with one in a Vdome one day.
Old 01-28-09, 08:18 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always take your foot off the pedals when you go down the hills and put them back on once the whirling eggbeaters of death slow down to a more reasonable speed.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-28-09, 08:52 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sure is different and probably not for everyone, but I'm loving it so far.

I ride single sided SPD's on my race bike and double sided on my touring bike which is my normal commuter. Currently I'm running caged pedals with straps on the Steamroller just while I get used to it and until I decide exactly what sort of pedals I want. I intend on riding the Surly to the shops etc in normal shoes so I may try pedals with platforms one side and SPD's on the other.

One thing my first few rides has really hammered home is the need for foot retention when riding fast. I would hate to have a foot come loose whilst descending.
I found my normal commuter pedals (CB Candys) much easier to get used to on the fixed gear bike vs. the caged pedals with straps.

Last edited by sam83; 01-28-09 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:54 PM
Duellist

Bikes: Primary: little orange 70s LeJeune track bike, AKA Tomato Frog, and (secondary) a noisy old Botecchia mixte frame ten-speed of similar vintage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
You can always take your foot off the pedals when you go down the hills and put them back on once the whirling eggbeaters of death slow down to a more reasonable speed.
No no no no no. I hope the above is a joke. If not, man, unless you've got two brakes and a deathwish, stay clipped in!

To the original poster, good for you. Fixed is addictive and fantastic. And your calf muscles will expand to twice their normal size. I can't zip up my fancy boots anymore, and I've only been riding fixed since summer.
Old 01-28-09, 08:58 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The OP has two brakes. Dunno about the deathwish, but I've done the huhenio coast before and it's a good way to recover down long hills, traffic and conditions permitting.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-28-09, 11:10 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sigh... I miss riding fixed. I haven't ridden it since I moved about two months ago now.

I was fit enough to make the one big climb out of my old neighborhood, but the road was basically flat after that. Now, I've got about seven of those "big climbs". My legs are sore enough as it is. I just don't think it would be enjoyable anymore.
Old 01-28-09, 11:23 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duellist
No no no no no. I hope the above is a joke. If not, man, unless you've got two brakes and a deathwish, stay clipped in!
Ever look closely at a Penny Farthing? Notice the pegs mounted on the fork? I tried to find a photo, but vintage ordinary's are hard to come by on google. They were for coasting, and with only a spoon brake as well.

There is a reason people thought they were dangerous.
Old 01-29-09, 03:59 AM
astroman

Bikes: pake, surly pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the OP is from brisbane australia - there will never be a reason for long pants on a bike there!
you folks riding in the cold should check out australia's heatwave - well over forty in the south.

as for fixed being fun, i find it takes the need to race on the commute away and i have much more fun!
happy steamrolling!
Old 01-29-09, 08:09 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Here is a screen capture from a Lucas Brunelle video called Drag Race NYC @ 7:34 time stamp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.