Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

New to the sport -- looking for advice!

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 10:23 PM
RYBOgoAGS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all.. this is actually my first post so try to bear with me if I begin to ramble on. Anyways, I am a very active person, nearly 20 yrs old, and am looking into joining my schools cycling team. I have played football, soccer, and rowed for the majority of my life and am trying to transition to cycling. I was directed by the cycling team to check out one of their "connections" where I picked up a Fuji SL-1 (full Dura-Ace) for under $2000. I have been on the bike for a total of about 75 miles and absolutely love it.

Being that I am new to the sport, but not new to lifting weights or other forms of exercise and diet, I would like any advice one would give me in terms of where to start training. So far I have heard to just pack on the base miles as I will need them during the racing season. Should I be doing interval work as well or just build up some long endurance rides? Should I be lifting weights at all or save that for the fall/winter? When I do start lifting, I read that sticking to a good endurance program (12x12) is key and just to start off with low weight and work your way up slowly. Also, in terms of nutrition, aside from a well balanced 3 full meals and 3 "energy" snacks, a multi-vitamin should keep me fresh, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-24-09, 10:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible will answer your questions.
Old 07-25-09, 07:32 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Monique Ryan's Sport Nutrition for Endurance Athletes will answer your nutrition question.
Old 07-25-09, 12:48 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're going to be on a cycling team, the coach can give you additional information. Generally, the answer to your question about intervals, and endurance, would be you will need development in both. A convenient method is to use a local route where you can ride laps. I'm fortunate to have a 2 mile hill-equipped multiuse path that's perfect for outdoor cycling and running.

Check with you coach about how much weight training is recommended. Some lifts might be counterproductive like squats (i.e. might be hard on the knees, whereas power lifters use them as the basis of their training).

Use the 'net, books (various ones) and especially your coach and teammates as resources. Try to find out how cyclists you admire got to be where they are. Good luck!