Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cheap co2 regulator

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cheap co2 regulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 01:22 AM
Motman320

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheap co2 regulator

does anyone have any experience with these? I've noticed the Co2 in bike stores is really expensive. With my paintball experience I feel it should be much simpler and so I found this in search of a cheaper way.. I'd be pissed it if malfunctioned.

https://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDeta...SRM_CO2-REG_NC
Old 07-27-09, 01:28 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
That is the planet bike co2, works fine but only uses threaded cartridges which are more expensive than non threaded.. I personally use the Silca Co2 adapter, been using for a few years now and has worked everytime.. It also only uses threaded co2..

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/prod...il.asp?p=SNEOL

Last edited by socalrider; 07-27-09 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 04:22 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went two years without a flat, but had one yesterday. First time I ever used a CO2 cartridge. It went well except for the fact that I didn't realize the cartridge was reverse-threaded. I spent a minute or two trying to twist the cartridge the wrong way...

If I lived in an area where I was getting flats more frequently I might worry more about the cost. But for a flat every year or two (my current average) I'll stick with the "expensive" threaded ones.
Old 07-27-09, 06:56 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the cheapest of the planet bike kits available. You can also buy extra threaded cartridges in bulk from this same ebay vendor. I bought one and within a couple of days I had a flat. It works flawlessly. I still carry a bike pump, because I'm old school, but will probably never use it again.

Ebay tire inflator kit
Old 07-27-09, 08:01 AM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
This is the cheapest of the planet bike kits available. You can also buy extra threaded cartridges in bulk from this same ebay vendor. I bought one and within a couple of days I had a flat. It works flawlessly. I still carry a bike pump, because I'm old school, but will probably never use it again.

Ebay tire inflator kit
Stupid question, but just to be sure before ordering: This IS a C02 regulator type? I have one without a regulator; I've used it once and have not dared to use it again.

Old 07-27-09, 08:13 AM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dion Rides
Stupid question, but just to be sure before ordering: This IS a C02 regulator type? I have one without a regulator; I've used it once and have not dared to use it again.
Yes it does, the Red knob is used to regulate how much co2 goes in..
Old 07-27-09, 08:34 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Just get a cheap unit that accepts unthreaded cartridges....then buy a 15-pack of 12g cartridges at walmart for $8.96 and you have a nearly-lifetime supply.
Old 07-27-09, 08:57 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Just get a cheap unit that accepts unthreaded cartridges....then buy a 15-pack of 12g cartridges at walmart for $8.96 and you have a nearly-lifetime supply.
I have a box of 12g unthreaded cartridges and a clunky unthreaded inflator that I stopped carrying because it's bulky. But after hearing about more than one unthreaded inflator detonating in someone's hand... I'm giving away the unthreaded carts and sticking to my threaded cartridges even though they cost around $1.25 ea and the wally world 12g's cost around 50c.

Originally Posted by JimF22003
... It went well except for the fact that I didn't realize the cartridge was reverse-threaded. I spent a minute or two trying to twist the cartridge the wrong way...
What cartridge is REVERSE threaded????
Old 07-27-09, 09:05 AM
Dion Rides

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by socalrider
Yes it does, the Red knob is used to regulate how much co2 goes in..
Thanks! I ordered one a few mintues ago. I have a small pump (Crank Bros.) but even that thing is too big for my seat pouch or jersey pocket. I hate carrying a bunch of stuff with me when I ride, so this will be perfect. I just never carried my other one becasue it didn't have a regulator.

Old 07-27-09, 09:12 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The threaded vs unthreaded cartridge cost difference is a fact. If spending 80 cents more per cartridge bothers you get the unthreaded type.

I personally like the threaded cartridge because I don't get that many flats per season so the cost does not bother me.
Old 07-27-09, 09:19 AM
smd3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think they even sell unthreaded here in Italy, I haven't seen any.
Old 07-27-09, 10:04 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Innovation Ultraflate Plus...$20, get cheap CO2 after that (used threaded or unthreaded). Works like a charm, nice trigger inflation. I carry a gauge too so I don't worry about over inflation.

Last edited by khatfull; 07-27-09 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 10:26 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Innovation Ultraflate Plus...$20, get cheap CO2 after that (used threaded or unthreaded). Works like a charm, nice trigger inflation. I carry a gauge too so I don't worry about over inflation.
Why carry a gauge? A 16g puts in 120 psi max. More than I normally ride with but nothing unsafe.
Old 07-27-09, 10:33 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
i have the one the OP posted. it works flawlessly, is light and compact. i've done at least a dozen roadside flats with it, never a problem.
Old 07-27-09, 10:38 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
Why carry a gauge? A 16g puts in 120 psi max. More than I normally ride with but nothing unsafe.
In my 700x23s I can get 140psi out of a 16g cart...verified with two different gauges and the gauge on my floor pump.
Old 07-27-09, 10:44 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my 700x23s I can get 140psi out of a 16g cart...verified with two different gauges and the gauge on my floor pump.
WOW never seen or heard of it getting that high before. What tires? Maybe there a little on the narrow side. Still nothing a little tap the valve to bleed some pressure off.
Old 07-27-09, 10:52 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have this one... Nothing special but it does work like it should. Being able to use both types be it threaded or not works for me. Just open it up and let er rip.